Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

top of the 90s BMW food chain, saw a very rare 850CSi in the wild!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 11:29 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Okay am I the only person who doesn't see the appeal here and would much rather have a 90's Euro Spec M3 or Z3 roaster???

Yeah V12 McLaren F1 engine and all that jazz, but the F1 engine was modified from what came in the 7/8 series it might as well not be the same engine. Also this was a big/heavy coupe, the interior wasn't all that special or well made IMO(looked like any other BMW of that period), the reliability is crap, the cost to service is stupid expensive, the complexity makes it a hard car to work on yourself.

Mainly though, I don't care for the exterior styling that looks like a Toyota Mark III Supra rip-off. Yes the BMW 8 series is a great looking car, but IMO it is rather derivative and unoriginal, it has very similar proportions/dimensions as the Mark III Supra. Like that car, it kind of has the same problem of excessive dimensions, excessive weight, and a more grand touring sort of driving dynamic vs a true sports car. Not that there is anything wrong with a big grand tourer, its just that Toyota had the same idea, same shape, same sort of car 6-7 years earlier for a lot less $$$$.
well unless i had a lot of money to throw away i wouldn't want to own one of these either, especially when you read about things like this:

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/eb...n-service-for/

and idk maybe i'm a sucker but i think a bmw motorsport V12 with a 6 speed manual in a luxury grand tourer coupe is a very cool combination. there's also only like 225 ever imported to the US so it's certainly very uncommon. i see something like this and i'm like, that's a BMW, whereas all this current boring 4 cyl X1 type stuff is driving around these days. i've seen a few 8 series in person as well as mk iii supras and the bmw definitely has more presence and class i feel, supra is a much better made car though haha... i'd go with toyota the vast majority of the time over BMW since they really make a bunch of poorly built junk, but when i see something like the 850CSi it makes me think this is what you go to the germans for. i've certainly never seen a V12 stick shift cadillac. but especially with these wheels i think the CSi is awesomely beautiful.

and i know it's not really the same as the F1 V12 lol but it's still the closest thing to that engine! for me that would be enough since the F1 is my favorite.
Old 07-26-18, 11:30 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

And next to a W211 AMG! Two great old cars.
Old 07-26-18, 11:50 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
And next to a W211 AMG! Two great old cars.
yea i wonder who put that there
Old 07-27-18, 10:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well unless i had a lot of money to throw away i wouldn't want to own one of these either, especially when you read about things like this:

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/eb...n-service-for/

and idk maybe i'm a sucker but i think a bmw motorsport V12 with a 6 speed manual in a luxury grand tourer coupe is a very cool combination. there's also only like 225 ever imported to the US so it's certainly very uncommon. i see something like this and i'm like, that's a BMW, whereas all this current boring 4 cyl X1 type stuff is driving around these days. i've seen a few 8 series in person as well as mk iii supras and the bmw definitely has more presence and class i feel, supra is a much better made car though haha... i'd go with toyota the vast majority of the time over BMW since they really make a bunch of poorly built junk, but when i see something like the 850CSi it makes me think this is what you go to the germans for. i've certainly never seen a V12 stick shift cadillac. but especially with these wheels i think the CSi is awesomely beautiful.

and i know it's not really the same as the F1 V12 lol but it's still the closest thing to that engine! for me that would be enough since the F1 is my favorite.

If you have ever watched Hoovies Garage youtube channel, he bought an 850i for CHEAP. Clean looking car, but it has so many electrical problems it hasn't ran right the whole time he's owned it and its going to cost more than what he paid for the car to "hopefully" fix it as he puts it. He's trying to unload it for stupid cheap right now as a non-runner, that's how disillusioned he is with it.
Old 07-28-18, 12:42 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, nice catch love older German cars, especially the 8-Series ever since I was young even in 1999 it was a big deal to see one, even more so now, nice E-Class too I think the w211 is the best looker! Roslyn is filled with some classic luxury cars, here's one historical one I caught in there recently, across the street from where you took those pics!

Old 07-28-18, 11:20 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you have ever watched Hoovies Garage youtube channel, he bought an 850i for CHEAP. Clean looking car, but it has so many electrical problems it hasn't ran right the whole time he's owned it and its going to cost more than what he paid for the car to "hopefully" fix it as he puts it. He's trying to unload it for stupid cheap right now as a non-runner, that's how disillusioned he is with it.
i wish i could've seen who owned the CSi, i would've loved to get a sense of what they pay in maintenance and repairs lol... and then maybe get them to give me a ride in it i went back to that spot yesterday just in case but it was gone so we can assume this one works i guess haha
Old 07-28-18, 12:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I love those
Old 07-29-18, 02:12 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i love the totally pillarless design when the windows are all down

not the only car to do so but i think it looks great with this
Old 07-29-18, 08:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Everybody thinks that's such a rare thing. Now days yes, but back in the 1950's/60's, almost all American 2 door cars were like this. And yes its a really cool look. Wish 2 door cars today were like this, but crash standards, blah, blah, blah blah. Only cars I can think of that are like this today are Benz models, E-class coupe, S-class coupe, and the hardtop AMG GT.
Old 07-29-18, 09:10 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Wow, nice catch love older German cars, especially the 8-Series ever since I was young even in 1999 it was a big deal to see one, even more so now, nice E-Class too I think the w211 is the best looker! Roslyn is filled with some classic luxury cars, here's one historical one I caught in there recently, across the street from where you took those pics!
haha yea i was going to say isn't that the benihana parking lot? and then right up the street you have the americana shopping center and you'll often see some pretty cool stuff in there. every year they do the "concours d elegance" and it's probably the only parking lot that doesn't get that much nicer even when there's a big car show going on in it lol... and then a little bit more up the street you have the mclaren / aston martin dealer!
Old 07-30-18, 05:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It might look good, but the lack of pillars takes away from body rigidity and rollover protection.

top of the 90s BMW food chain,
On the thread-title, why do you refer to BMWs as a food chain?
Old 07-30-18, 09:47 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the thread-title, why do you refer to BMWs as a food chain?
just making an analogy... if the BMW lineup were likened to the food chain, at the bottom you have many little 1 series's, and at the very top you have the 8 series. and the 850CSi is the top of the top. also the Mercedes CL had that same design and I've never heard of that being an unsafe car.
Old 07-30-18, 10:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,783 Likes on 1,920 Posts

Very cool! I have only seen an 8-series maybe twice in the wild. I think someone here in the Raytown (KC suburb) area has one - seen it at a local grocery store a couple of times. I should take a pic next time. It's really eye-catching. I don't know why people don't just crowd around it whenever it's out.