Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Useful feature I have never seen in a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
They are not.
Its true that they actually are not. Every once and a while you'll find a car that doesn't have them. My 2015 Kia Sedona did not have DRLs. Nor did my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (although higher trims of the Jeep that year did)
Old 08-05-18, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitkahuna
I thought drl's are required by law?

They are not.
As I understand it, they are legally required in Canada and some Northern Europe countries, but not in the U.S. They were first required in far northern locations like that, because proximity to the Arctic Circle means long hours of twilight in the summer, and long hours of complete darkness in the winter, necessitating near-constant headlight use for safety. Alaska, though....a U.S. state, may require them, though.....I'm not sure.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My 2015 Kia Sedona did not have DRLs.

True.....the Koreans were late installing them in American market vehicles. My brother's 2015 Kia Sportage did not have them either.
Old 08-05-18, 07:56 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

here we go, i knew the smart *** comments weren't far off.

get a stick, saved you money on auto
use gas and brakes, saved you money on cruise control or even more on adaptive cruise control
get exercise with manual crank windows and save money too...
and on...

Those comparisons are disproportional in terms of effort.
Old 08-05-18, 08:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would venture to say most cars turn the headlights on when the wipers are on nowadays. Every car I've had since the mid 90s that was NOT a Toyota/Lexus product turned the lights on when the wipers are on.

Its one of the things that really bugs me about Lexus actually, that their products don't turn the headlights on when the wipers come on. My 17 LS460L turns off my adaptive cruise when the auto wipers go to high speed, but it cant turn the headlights on when the wipers come on? Silly..
Toyota Corp is just being super cheap. Interesting enough, the Toyota Sequoia turns on the headlights when you turn the wipers on. I am not sure as to why that one vehicle by Toyota offers it.
Old 08-05-18, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

while drl's may not be legally required in the u.s. (i stand corrected although i just asked the question, not made a statement), it's pretty irrelevant since i'd say almost all new vehicles at this point have 'em.
Old 08-05-18, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while drl's may not be legally required in the u.s. (i stand corrected although i just asked the question, not made a statement), it's pretty irrelevant since i'd say almost all new vehicles at this point have 'em.
Yeah. I can’t imagine the rationale for not having them. I think at this point, auto head lights should a federally mandated feature.
Old 08-06-18, 04:23 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Yeah. I can’t imagine the rationale for not having them. I think at this point, auto head lights should a federally mandated feature.
That will never happen. First of all, it states in my drivers book(Missouri) that you must turn on headlights at dawn. But dawn can have so many different meanings for other folks. Also, if your'e depending on your headlights to turn on when its dark outside, that may not be a good idea since people have different levels of light thresholds.

Like I said, headlights are better to be switched on manually.
Old 08-06-18, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
That will never happen. First of all, it states in my drivers book(Missouri) that you must turn on headlights at dawn. But dawn can have so many different meanings for other folks. Also, if your'e depending on your headlights to turn on when its dark outside, that may not be a good idea since people have different levels of light thresholds.

In most cases, I agree. Some states define "dawn" as one-half hour before official sunrise, and "dusk" as one half hour after sunset, but that is not necessarily universal. Plus, most of us don't keep track of the official predicted sunrise or sunset that day....nor necessarily of crossing a time zone boundary.
Old 08-06-18, 05:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

even if they're automatic you can still turn them on manually, so federally mandating automatic lights won't preclude people from turning them on manually.
Old 08-06-18, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, they are legally required in Canada and some Northern Europe countries, but not in the U.S. They were first required in far northern locations like that, because proximity to the Arctic Circle means long hours of twilight in the summer, and long hours of complete darkness in the winter, necessitating near-constant headlight use for safety. Alaska, though....a U.S. state, may require them, though.....I'm not sure.
I'm not sure what one thing has to do with another. They are called "daytime" running lights for a reason--not "many hours of darkness even during the day running lights". DRLs are essentially useless for the driver in twilight or darkness. Sure--it allows oncoming drivers to see the idiot coming at them without their headlights on.

DRLs are the same concept as motorcycles being required to have headlights on all the time--studies show that the headlight/DRLs make the car more visible to other drivers, even in daylight hours.
Old 08-06-18, 05:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In most cases, I agree. Some states define "dawn" as one-half hour before official sunrise, and "dusk" as one half hour after sunset, but that is not necessarily universal. Plus, most of us don't keep track of the official predicted sunrise or sunset that day....nor necessarily of crossing a time zone boundary.

Why would it not happen? Just have every car with DRL as well as headlights that automatically come on a dusk, make it a requirement similar to an a airbag.
Old 08-06-18, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure what one thing has to do with another. They are called "daytime" running lights for a reason--not "many hours of darkness even during the day running lights". DRLs are essentially useless for the driver in twilight or darkness. Sure--it allows oncoming drivers to see the idiot coming at them without their headlights on.

DRLs are the same concept as motorcycles being required to have headlights on all the time--studies show that the headlight/DRLs make the car more visible to other drivers, even in daylight hours.
Here. You can read it for yourself. This article explains how DRLs got started in far northern countries.

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9912/rm991203.htm
Old 08-06-18, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota Corp is just being super cheap. Interesting enough, the Toyota Sequoia turns on the headlights when you turn the wipers on. I am not sure as to why that one vehicle by Toyota offers it.
Are you sure that it does?
Old 08-06-18, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Are you sure that it does?
I am quite certain. I thought I read in a Toyota press release on an update. I would have to look it up.

Quick Reply: Useful feature I have never seen in a car