Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Useful feature I have never seen in a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, in the volumes a manufacturer buys, costs are not huge.
second, since they're integrated into other assemblies, by including the feature on as many vehicles as possible, it simplifies logistics, thereby LOWERING manufacturing costs.

maybe to you. i'd never again buy a car without auto headlights and wipers. enjoy your yugo.
Exactly. I'm not saying there isn't a cost, only that the cost to the manufacturer is not the same as your cost when you buy the part at the parts counter.

And yes, its an expensive luxury car, and everybody else has this feature including my lowly Chrysler.
Old 08-07-18, 01:58 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

how about a car that rolls up the windows if left outside when it rains? THAT is what every florida driver actually needs
Old 08-07-18, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. I'm not saying there isn't a cost, only that the cost to the manufacturer is not the same as your cost when you buy the part at the parts counter.

And yes, its an expensive luxury car, and everybody else has this feature including my lowly Chrysler.
Like I said earlier. Toyota Corp is just being super cheap. I cannot find the Sequoia info I thought existed, but every Lexus should have this type of feature.
Old 08-07-18, 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
But in general, I like to do things myself, like turn on headlights, turn on wipers, select the gear with a clutch.
then you're not a prospect for luxury cars. luxury car buyers in general have better things to do with their time than be bothered with turning on headlights, etc. they're thinking, on business calls, chilling out with quality music playing, focusing on where they're getting to, etc.

I like to use a key to lock and unlock my house. Some would prefer to use a smartphone, not me, no way, no how, not ever. I get that a key has only 1024 possible combinations and the lock can be picked. But I don't want my house nor my hot water heater connected to the web. I rekeyed our locks and have to admit, it's difficult when you're not a locksmith.
again this puts you toward the Luddite end of the spectrum. electronic door locks are flying off the shelves. i put in a couple of simple number pad ones a while back and i don't lament no longer looking for a key when inside my garage just to get into the house.

Remember the days when a telco guy had to clamp on physically to two wires, in order to eavesdrop on you?
i don't believe that was ever true as calls could be tapped at exchanges even when all analog.

I want to be the guy who does not give the world access, if that means driving a Yugo with a 5-speed, yes sir!
as i said, not a luxury car prospect.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Unless you drive the current generation S class, this may not be true. That was the first car to debut without a single non-led bulb, both inside and outside the car. I dont think any other vehicle currently offers this.
not saying mine was before the s class, but i certainly cannot find any non-led bulb in there.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Like I said earlier. Toyota Corp is just being super cheap. I cannot find the Sequoia info I thought existed, but every Lexus should have this type of feature.
how about the 5 speed in the 4runner, STILL? toyota must make an absolute FORTUNE selling that relic.

Old 08-07-18, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

then you're not a prospect for luxury cars. luxury car buyers in general have better things to do with their time than be bothered with turning on headlights, etc. they're thinking, on business calls, chilling out with quality music playing, focusing on where they're getting to, etc.
Agreed...exactly...

again this puts you toward the Luddite end of the spectrum. electronic door locks are flying off the shelves. i put in a couple of simple number pad ones a while back and i don't lament no longer looking for a key when inside my garage just to get into the house.
LOVE our combination keypad locks. Now that I have the CC key for the LS, I don't even carry keys.
Old 08-07-18, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

how about the 5 speed in the 4runner, STILL? toyota must make an absolute FORTUNE selling that relic.
100%. I could go on and on about Toyota and how they can be super cheap, absence of a power rear door on the 4Runner, drum brakes on my Corolla as well as the Tacoma (at least my Corolla can get discs). Other stuff like the absence of a fully boxed frame on their trucks or just a 6 speed on the Sequoia when the LC and LX have 8.

Like i I have said so many times, Toyota does not make the best cars or trucks (Lexus). They make competitive vehicles that seem to last longer than their competitors and usually they don’t break.<<< that is why you buy a Toyota or Lexus IMO.

Toyota Motor Corp is still not immune to being super cheap....when they feel like it.
Old 08-07-18, 03:16 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Businesses like a healthy chunk of profit; Its all about keeping cost down and profits high. If they can skimp out on something, they will. If you ever wonder why most cars, even high end cars, have a halogen turn bulb, its to keep cost down. A powerful, yellow LED chip cost almost $50 compared to a 10 cent bulb.

The real problem isn't cutting cost. Its when businesses cut cost in something that is actually needed. Auto headlights is a luxury feature and it cost money to be implemented, which is why its on luxury cars.
Old 08-07-18, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
Auto headlights is a luxury feature and it cost money to be implemented, which is why its on luxury cars.
like a 2003 corolla? but thankfully for you, it can be turned off.

Old 08-07-18, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Auto headlights is a luxury feature and it cost money to be implemented, which is why its on luxury cars.
Were talking about a luxury car!
Old 08-07-18, 08:20 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
how about a car that rolls up the windows if left outside when it rains? THAT is what every florida driver actually needs
On a mercedes with panoramic roof option, the sunroof will close when the auto wipers are activated
Old 08-07-18, 11:22 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

like a 2003 corolla? but thankfully for you, it can be turned off.
Corollas also rock LEDs headlights. 200k Mercedes also rock LED headlights.
Old 08-08-18, 05:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not the same LED headlights though
Old 08-08-18, 06:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Corollas also rock LEDs headlights. 200k Mercedes also rock LED headlights.
they both have 4 wheels too

give it up... even if what you said were true it doesn't matter... auto everything is close at hand... mwahahaha...
Old 08-08-18, 03:25 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

they both have 4 wheels too

give it up... even if what you said were true it doesn't matter... auto everything is close at hand... mwahahaha...
True. Im just waiting for hands free driving to make it to more cars.

Quick Reply: Useful feature I have never seen in a car