Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Really wish I had a camera in my car today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 09:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My cousin gave me a pair of Costa Del Mar Switchfoot shades, not sure how he got them, probably don't want to know but even though they are expensive, to me they look and feel cheap, I don't like the styling, they are green but I still have them. I mainly wear them when I go fishing or cut the grass, I looked up the price one time and they were over $150 which was shocking to me.

I got 2 pair of shades at ****'s Sporting Goods called Surf and Sport that I wear regularly, I like the way they look on me, seem to be pretty good quality, and cost $20 a piece. I am happy with them.

I just take everything valuable out of my car when I drop it off, normally I will grab all the quarters out of the coin tray or take them out before I go. Heard too many stories of thieves at car places and if something got stolen of mine it would really set me off and I don't want to get in a confrontation over something like that.

Old 07-31-18, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I don’t care for Costas either, but they do have very good quality optics and lenses.
Old 07-31-18, 01:57 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Interesting side convo on sunglasses. I'm a fan of Zeal Optics - that's my main brand of choice. I like RayBan's and have been under-whelmed by the 2 pair of MJ's I have owned.

I recently started buying Shady Rays - they're stylish and top out around $50 for polarized lenses. And they will replace up to 2 pair if you break them or lose them at no charge other than shipping. So if this Tech would've stolen one of those pair, I still would have cared due to the principle of the matter, but wouldn't have worried about it too much since I could have gotten a brand new pair sent to me.
Old 07-31-18, 02:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine are $175 out-of-pocket prescription Oakleys. I thought that was very high considering I have VSP Premier and I received the Friends & Family discount from our lovely optometrist. I asked why it was so much more when you see polarized sunglasses for $20. It all has to do with matching a prescription. It is the most expensive pair of sunglasses I own, but I will admit it does perform very well when I'm driving and are definitely better than my experience with cheap polarized lenses.

jrmckinley, sorry to hear about your experience. Glad they took the steps to inspect every employee (and their car). Would have been just as easy for the manager to take the staffs' word at face value and tell you it was a lost cause. I have dashcams for the front and back, but never considered one just for the interior. Most of the time it would just be recording me. I guess you could get one of those teddy bear nanny cams and place it in the back shelf whenever servicing your car next time. Or maybe just stickers inside that say "Smile, you're on camera". The low-tech approach may be all that is necessary.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 07-31-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That really is brazen they would steal your glasses like that...crazy...
Old 07-31-18, 05:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That really is brazen they would steal your glasses like that...crazy...
Agree. My wife's sunglasses were in the cup holder along with mine - yet he only stole mine which indicates he was looking to keep them for himself and not sell them. I have to assume he was banking on me not noticing until after his shift - or maybe he just wasn't banking on the manager searching his pockets and his car. Either way, he was wrong. A thief is very high up on my list of people I can't and won't tolerate, nor do I have any mercy towards.
Old 08-01-18, 07:12 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Agree. My wife's sunglasses were in the cup holder along with mine - yet he only stole mine which indicates he was looking to keep them for himself and not sell them. I have to assume he was banking on me not noticing until after his shift - or maybe he just wasn't banking on the manager searching his pockets and his car. Either way, he was wrong. A thief is very high up on my list of people I can't and won't tolerate, nor do I have any mercy towards.
I would report this up to Corporate. Just to be sure, this is a Lexus dealership? If it is, this is damaging to the brand. Who knows what else he stole and got away with it.
Old 08-01-18, 08:20 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Parking mode dashcams are worth every dime.

I installed front and rear facing cams in my vehicles after getting multiple door dings and finding unusual mileage on my car after using Hotel and restaurant valets. The only valuables I keep inside the car are a couple pairs of Ray Bans worth $130-$150 each. Thankfully no incidents since installing the cams but that sense of satisfaction you’ll get when catching the thief’s mug on a 1080p HD cam is priceless.

Last edited by Propulsion; 08-01-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 12:23 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Parking mode dashcams are worth every dime.
https://youtu.be/wDzQeUBoaCw

I installed front and rear facing cams in my vehicles after getting multiple door dings and finding unusual mileage on my car after using Hotel and restaurant valets. The only valuables I keep inside the car are a couple pairs of Ray Bans worth $130-$150 each. Thankfully no incidents since installing the cams but that sense of satisfaction you’ll get when catching the thief’s mug on a 1080p HD cam is priceless.
Even with parking mode, how do you capture the interior? My dashcam doesn't rotate 180 degrees. Are you saying to attach a dedicated camera for interior surveillance?

Further off topic, I went to get a tire rotation a few weeks ago. After 25 minutes the employee comes to me and says my car won't start. What the heck? Makes no sense since my battery is a year old and I just drove to Napa for a wedding the previous day, which would have charged the battery plenty. Turns out the employee left the car on, fans blowing, when they checked the odometer. The dashcam was running the entire time which proves the car was left on. Usually I walk out to check the odometer with the employee but it was hot and I was lazy this time. You dont even have to power anything on to check the odometer after opening the door, but employees not familiar with the LS will push the start button to get the reading and then push it again to turn it off, not realizing that the second push start actually turns on more electronics and doesn't shut the power off.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-01-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 02:07 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Even with parking mode, how do you capture the interior? My dashcam doesn't rotate 180 degrees. Are you saying to attach a dedicated camera for interior surveillance?.
It’s a dual camera system. One is forward facing (towards the road) and the other can be positioned on the interior of the car or mounted on the rear window. It depends on the driver preferences.

Old 08-01-18, 02:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Propulsion

It’s a dual camera system. One is forward facing (towards the road) and the other can be positioned on the interior of the car or mounted on the rear window. It depends on the driver preferences.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I have my two dashcams pointing out the front and back, which did help capture someone rear-ending me. I would need to add a third cam for interior.
Old 08-01-18, 06:37 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

After my wife's Dior sunglasses was stolen from a valet parking, I never trust any valet or service center. Always remove all valuable item (including EZ pass, Work parking permit, coins).
Old 08-02-18, 07:05 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

LOL @ $250+ sunglasses. I am wayyyyy too much of a clutz/too forgetful to pay that much for something that wont last me more than a year.

I will stick with my Del Sol Solize line. $50 one time, unlimited free replacements. Simply put the code in that came with the last pair, online, and put in your shipping address. a week later, new shades.

I used to think $50 was too much for sunglasses. But these are polarized and of solid quality. Comes in a nice case, with a bag for storage too. I realized a few days ago, after ordering my 3rd pair in 2 years, that if I had spent even $20 on cheap crap from walmart or something, I would have already done it 3x. First pair I left in the seat of my car and sat on them (oops). Second pair, I dropped off my head and they slid down a concrete driveway on their lenses, scratched them all up.
Old 08-02-18, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah if you’re going to break em all the time, expensive sunglasses aren’t the way to go lol
Old 08-02-18, 10:42 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I left a pair of Maui Jim's in the pocket of a shirt I donated to the Goodwill. Realized what I had done and went back later in the day, but the Goodwill wasn't accommodating at all. They said they would have to watch the cameras to make sure it was me that donated (apparently a receipt wasn't good enough proof) and then I would have to dig through all the donations to try and find the glasses. I cut my losses and pledged to no longer donate to the Goodwill.

Quick Reply: Really wish I had a camera in my car today...