Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Really wish I had a camera in my car today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 04:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Really wish I had a camera in my car today...

Had a pair of sunglasses stolen out of my car today while getting oil change. Immediately reported it once I got into my car - spoke to some higher up service folks who said they'd look into it. A few hours later they called and said they found them in the technician's car. Lucky for me the service leadership was diligent in getting to the bottom of this (I was very adamant with them that I knew the glasses were in the car when I dropped it off). They checked the pockets and cars of all valet staff and anyone else who may have touched my car. I could've saved myself some time if I had a camera in the car- plus it would've been awesome to see him taking them (maybe trying them on in my car first?!). If they wouldn't have found the sunglasses before the tech went home, I'd be out almost $200 - and I have to assume I can get a decent camera for somewhere around that price range. It may be time to pull the trigger on the camera- you just never know what people are doing. It's a good reminder to not have anything valuable in your car (material things and personal/sensitive info).

FWIW, my service advisor was off today so I ended up with a different SA (who was great) which also means a different crew of Techs - obviously I just got unlucky with the timing and who I got. The service managers were very surprised - saying this guy was new to the dealership but skilled and seemed like a good kid.
Old 07-30-18, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If that shop doesn't pay decent enough wages for the Techs to go get themselves an adequate pair of sunglasses, then IMO, it's the for the owner, managers, and employees to get together and have a little talk.

And $200 for a pair of sunglasses? I take it you didn't buy them off the shelf at Walmart LOL. For that kind of money, they must have been special-order custom-prescription.
Old 07-30-18, 05:38 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

And $200 for a pair of sunglasses? I take it you didn't buy them off the shelf at Walmart LOL. For that kind of money, they must have been special-order custom-prescription.
LOL- no prescription needed here - these are off-the-shelf RayBan's. Apparently that's the going rate for name brand shades nowadays and these were cheaper than Maui Jim's which were between $250-$300.
Old 07-30-18, 10:35 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LOL- no prescription needed here - these are off-the-shelf RayBan's. Apparently that's the going rate for name brand shades nowadays and these were cheaper than Maui Jim's which were between $250-$300.
i've read you can thank Luxottica for that
Old 07-30-18, 10:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

If that shop doesn't pay decent enough wages for the Techs to go get themselves an adequate pair of sunglasses, then IMO, it's the for the owner, managers, and employees to get together and have a little talk.
People almost never steal out of necessity.

Old 07-31-18, 12:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
People almost never steal out of necessity.

True dat. Never leave weed in your car if you valet BTW. Years ago working as supervisor at the valet at a NICE 4 star/4 diamond downtown hotel, we had one of our guys steal the customer's weed. It was an event night at in the ball-room, you know customer rolls in, does the event, leaves 3-4 hours later, we never see them again. I get in the car and park it, notice a huge *** ****ing blunt in the ash tray, kind of laugh at myself cause dude looked ****ing miserable in his fancy suit for this black tie shindig, like he HAD to be here for some reason(probably work). He was definitely planning to light up on the way home and chill the rest of the night.

Anyways, his car gets pulled around, we are busy, I don't think about it at all. 5 minutes later I see him pull back in, I already know oh ****, why is he back, oh damn new dude pulled his car around and swiped his blunt!!! I immediately round this off, open his door and he just starts unloading on me, where's my joint man??? Where the **** is my joint man??? I tell him man, you need to chill out, I can't help you tonight, but here is my number and my boss's number, let me get your number, yeah I know this is total bull****, blah blah blah. Descalate the situation a bit. End up firing that ******* that stole his weed, gave that guy a $200 gift card for his stolen weed.
Old 07-31-18, 05:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Very embarrassing to say--remember, I won't wear Mephistos that I paid $20 for, because they go for $499 online, and too expensive for my tastes.

I got my first Maui Jims last fall, and they cost over 3X your lower amount above. Their top of the line lense too, brilliant or something.

A couple of things come to mind. One, is the saying of a fool and his money are easily parted.

The other was when I was redoing my kitchen, and there was this really nice Dal Tile I liked, for $9/sq ft. I asked the salesperson, is this tile really that good, worth $9? He goes no, it just happens to be in demand. If you go to The Home D****, and you see a tile closing out for $0.79, it's just as good, just not wanted anymore/out of style.

Is Maui Jim made in Italy? Yes. Is the quality as poor as something you get in Costco? Not quite, but about that. lol We all have to act foolishly and come clean, imho...

Glad you got them back. I would say in most cases you would not. BMW has cams as you drive in, and they read the key for faults, and two lackeys walk around taking pics with iPad Pros. They still denied breaking my car, and only admitted it after the BBB dropped their rating from A+ to C-. GMC just played the same game and I cut them off and said like I were tony soprano, it has to be made right, end of story. And it was. But my point is neither were willing, like your experience...had to apply pressure to their wrists.
Old 07-31-18, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a pair of Maui Jim's which retailed at a little over $250. Nice glasses. I got 'em free for test driving a Lincoln several years ago but only started wearing them this year. Glad to hear you got yours back.
Old 07-31-18, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have a pair of Maui Jim's which retailed at a little over $250. Nice glasses. I got 'em free for test driving a Lincoln several years ago but only started wearing them this year. Glad to hear you got yours back.
$250 for a Lincoln test-drive? And I thought that Lincoln's $75 yearly offer (pre-paid gift card), at the big auto shows, was generous. They donate $75 now, instead, in your name, to a charity of your choice.
Old 07-31-18, 06:40 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Having an in camera car is a must have. Caught my tech joy riding my IS-F on just an oil change visit.
Old 07-31-18, 06:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Extremely overpriced, coming from the owner of a pair that folds into 1/4 lol And it's the lense that costs way more than the frames. A $250 pair will not have brilliant lenses.

Was never a fan before, but I have to admit, as far as overall value goes, Oakley wins. I honestly believe their optics spanks MJ, even though MJ says au contraire. Plus Oakley is durable, and, the customer service is like Lexus. Repeated no questions asked free replacements.

my .02. But the more important topic here is theft, amazing that people still steal on the job. Sad really.
Old 07-31-18, 06:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

$250 for a Lincoln test-drive? And I thought that Lincoln's $75 yearly offer (pre-paid gift card), at the big auto shows, was generous. They donate $75 now, instead, in your name, to a charity of your choice.
I think that it was a targeted mailing. A friend of mine (similar age, zip code etc.) received the same offer. I'm not sure why Lincoln partnered up with Maui Jim but it was a good offer. I test drove an MKZ and the glasses were the best part of the deal.
Old 07-31-18, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Very embarrassing to say--remember, I won't wear Mephistos that I paid $20 for, because they go for $499 online, and too expensive for my tastes.

I got my first Maui Jims last fall, and they cost over 3X your lower amount above. Their top of the line lense too, brilliant or something.

A couple of things come to mind. One, is the saying of a fool and his money are easily parted.

The other was when I was redoing my kitchen, and there was this really nice Dal Tile I liked, for $9/sq ft. I asked the salesperson, is this tile really that good, worth $9? He goes no, it just happens to be in demand. If you go to The Home D****, and you see a tile closing out for $0.79, it's just as good, just not wanted anymore/out of style.

Is Maui Jim made in Italy? Yes. Is the quality as poor as something you get in Costco? Not quite, but about .
You say you have a pair of Maui Jim’s that cost 3 times his lower number of $200? So $600? What pair of Maui Jim’s are those?!? I own 5 pair of Maui Jim’s, no Maui Jim’s are $600 unless they are prescription. $350 tops.

MJ makes great glasses; but I much prefer their glasses with the actual glass lenses. A lot of them now have polycarbonate lenses or “fake glass” to make them lighter and I don’t like those nearly as much.

Oakleys are nice too but I don’t like their style. Not on the same level as MJ though. Costa, and the higher up “fashion” lines which are too prissy for me are the only ones really that are.
Old 07-31-18, 08:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

You say you have a pair of Maui Jim’s that cost 3 times his lower number of $200? So $600? What pair of Maui Jim’s are those?!? I own 5 pair of Maui Jim’s, no Maui Jim’s are $600 unless they are prescription. $350 tops.

MJ makes great glasses; but I much prefer their glasses with the actual glass lenses. A lot of them now have polycarbonate lenses or “fake glass” to make them lighter and I don’t like those nearly as much.

Oakleys are nice too but I don’t like their style. Not on the same level as MJ though. Costa, and the higher up “fashion” lines which are too prissy for me are the only ones really that are.

They are prescriptions, and they're called Stillwaters in antique gold. If this is what you want--"I love your sunglasses!" They are a good one to get. They cost me over $700 hahahahahahahahahaha I must be a masochist because I love admitting when I do stupid things. I opted for the best lenses called brilliant.

https://www.mauijim.com/CA/en_GB/sho...xoC_GsQAvD_BwE

I agree Oakleys are not fashionable, but they are imho functional. And seriously I used to not be a fan. But the customer service is just like Lexus. They have replaced 3 pairs already of one that I have, and the mgr. said next time we either replace it again or we'll give you a gift card so you can get something else. They even ask you if your prescription is unchanged when they replace under warranty.

edit I may be wrong, I think it was my wife's that were over $800, mine may have been $725? Whatever it was, it is deserving of the hall of shame!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-31-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Oh for sure, prescription MJs will be that much. They don’t allow nonbranfed lenses in their frames is why.

MJ is the same way with customer service. They’ll replace lenses, whole glasses, etc. I actually don’t love the styling of MJs either, Ray Ban has the best looking frames IMHO, but their lens quality is nowhere near MJ which is why I stay with them.

Quick Reply: Really wish I had a camera in my car today...