Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Avenir line expands to the Regal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean the Tour-X Wagon? (I know you like the wagon version...I do, too). If so, Interesting question. Subaru, for years, did an upscale L.L. Bean version of its Outback (which competes with the Tour-X Wagon) that sold extremely well. To this day, I don't know why Subie and L.L. Bean split up.
Yes. Meant the Tour X. I think it will have the best resale and it will be the hardest to get. I checked it out at the auto show and it's very German. I liked the materials inside yet the press seems to loath it. But that is expected as there is a lot of cliches in the auto press.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-18 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 04:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So?.....like I said, if you keep your glass clean, you won't have any trouble. That doesn't make what I said false, or any less true.

What was the problem with the replaced windshield......Defective glass? I've seen that happen with several people.
It does make what you said false when you keep saying that rain sensing wipers seem to go haywire and swipe if you blow on them lightly. One tiny droplet of water on the sensor does not cause the wipers to swipe. So keeping the glass clean is irrelevant. And, as someone said above, the easier solution is to move the wiper stalk to off when it's not raining, rather than constantly worrying about how clean your windshield might be just in case you get a drop of water on in it.

My windshield was replaced because it had a crack in it, probably from a rock. Which would be a much more common occurrence than defective glass.
Old 08-03-18, 04:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the Avenir trim will do fine. GM has a pretty good transaction rate and rebates are decent for Buick’s. I do wonder if there will be a Regal X Avenir trim level. I doubt it tho.
I agree. Given how niche wagons are in the USA, I don't see Buick pulling off a top of the line wagon; particularly if the Avenir trim is non-AWD. The Tour-X trim gives that plastic-cladding SUV style, so it might trick enough people into forgetting it's a wagon.
Old 08-03-18, 05:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It does make what you said false when you keep saying that rain sensing wipers seem to go haywire and swipe if you blow on them lightly. One tiny droplet of water on the sensor does not cause the wipers to swipe. So keeping the glass clean is irrelevant. And, as someone said above, the easier solution is to move the wiper stalk to off when it's not raining, rather than constantly worrying about how clean your windshield might be just in case you get a drop of water on in it.
If the rain-sensing feature can be turned off, yes, that's one good possibility.

My windshield was replaced because it had a crack in it, probably from a rock. Which would be a much more common occurrence than defective glass.
Agreed. I've had several of them done myself over the years. Part of it is that paving and construction crews are often careless, and don't clean up properly after themselves, leaving a lot of debris on the road.
Old 08-03-18, 02:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

If the rain-sensing feature can be turned off, yes, that's one good possibility.
What do you mean "if"? All wipers have an OFF setting. Rain-sensing merely replaces the INT function.
Old 08-03-18, 02:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

What do you mean "if"? All wipers have an OFF setting. Rain-sensing merely replaces the INT function.
Yup. If it starts to rain just hit the button or move the stalk. Easy peasy.
Old 08-03-18, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I was referring to the rain-sensing function...and if (?) one could dismantle that apart from the other wiper functions. I'll agree, however, that if the rain-sensing function simply replaces the INT, that's a good set-up...wouldn't mind having it myself.
Old 08-03-18, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I was referring to the rain-sensing function...and if (?) one could dismantle that apart from the other wiper functions. I'll agree, however, that if the rain-sensing function simply replaces the INT, that's a good set-up...wouldn't mind having it myself.
I had the feature. I didn’t mind it but I didn’t love it either. I hated that it would go crazy sometimes when the rain was coming heavy, it would go super full speed when it didn’t really need to go faster than regular speed. But you can definitely defeat it.
Old 08-04-18, 01:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you mean the Tour-X Wagon? (I know you like the wagon version...I do, too). If so, Interesting question. Subaru, for years, did an upscale L.L. Bean version of its Outback (which competes with the Tour-X Wagon) that sold extremely well. To this day, I don't know why Subie and L.L. Bean split up.
Same reason Ford and Eddie Bauer parted ways. Same thing with Lincoln and all those 70's/80's pimp-mobile editions like the Bill Blass, Versace, Givenchy, Cartier, Valentino, Emilio Pucci, I'm sure I'm forgetting one. The car companies are cheap bastards and don't want to pay those fashion houses the rights to use their names on the car.
Old 08-04-18, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Same reason Ford and Eddie Bauer parted ways. Same thing with Lincoln and all those 70's/80's pimp-mobile editions like the Bill Blass, Versace, Givenchy, Cartier, Valentino, Emilio Pucci, I'm sure I'm forgetting one. The car companies are cheap bastards and don't want to pay those fashion houses the rights to use their names on the car.
A good point.....except that Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean aren't fashion-houses. They make outdoor gear. I'm assuming, though, by your response, that the principle is the same.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-18 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 07:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You keep saying "if". But there's no speculation--this is not an emerging technology. Cars with rain sensing wipers have the following settings: OFF - AUTO - LOW - HIGH; just like any other wipers, except if you have rain sensing, you don't have INT; you have AUTO instead, and then you have the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the AUTO, rather than manually adjusting the speed of the INT.

This is how rain sensing wipers work.

In fact, to me, the biggest issue with rain sensing wipers is that if you leave them on, and forget, and go into an automated car wash, you may be in for a problem if you don't switch them to OFF quick enough.
A good point.....except that Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean aren't fashion-houses. They make outdoor gear. I'm assuming, though, by your response, that the principle is the same.
They can be both. Eddie Bauer and LL Bean definitely have some great outdoor gear, but they also hawk their label too. Some of their clothing is unjustifiably overpriced. That's why it goes on sale so often.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-04-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There are numerous Buick videos on how rainsense works. Great job Jill!!! The GM wipers use infrared light to determine rain.

http://www.autohow2.com/video/window...e-buick-encore

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-04-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

In fact, to me, the biggest issue with rain sensing wipers is that if you leave them on, and forget, and go into an automated car wash, you may be in for a problem if you don't switch them to OFF quick enough.

Buick rainsense wipers do not work in a car wash. If a Buick is moving less than 5MPH, the rainsense does not work. Toyota does not have this feature so the car wash concern is valid.

I am assuming we can put to rest the argument of dirt on the windshield causing scratches as more than likely wind over 5MPH will blow it all away.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-04-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 10:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Buick rainsense wipers do not work in a car wash. If a Buick is moving less than 5MPH, the rainsense does not work. Toyota does not have this feature so the car wash concern is valid.
Good feature.
Old 08-04-18, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I am assuming we can put to rest the argument of dirt on the windshield causing scratches as more than likely wind over 5MPH will blow it all away.
Not all dirt.....but I agree we've covered it enough. SCRATCH-OUT will help with some small very fine scratches, but it tends to leave a film on glass. It is designed more for clearcoat paint than for glass.

Quick Reply: Buick Avenir line expands to the Regal