Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM brings back iconic 1960s Tripower name

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default GM brings back iconic 1960s Tripower name

Except there's a catch, it's about fuel savings not performance

All-new 2.7L Turbo with Active Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission (SAE-certified at 310 hp/348 lb-ft).
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- For the first time since the mid-1960s, General Motors will use the Tripower name on an engine.

But today's Tripower setup -- due in the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups -- means something very different than it did in 1966, the last time a Tripower engine was offered in such cars as the Pontiac GTO.

For the new 2.7-liter turbo four-cylinder engine designed specifically for GM's full-size trucks, Tripower will refer to a suite of technologies that boosts horsepower and fuel economy, explained Mike Anderson, executive director of global transmission and electrification hardware engineering. Speaking at the CAR Management Briefing Seminars on Tuesday, Anderson said the new Tripower will encompass:
  • Cylinder deactivation, which shuts off two of the four cylinders at light-load cruising speeds.
  • Active thermal management that can increase or decrease heat in various parts of the engine to speed warm-ups or reduce temperatures in order to keep the engine running longer in its most thermally efficient range.
  • Intake valve lift control, a system that reduces the length the intake valve opens at certain speeds, which helps improve fuel economy under certain drive conditions.
GM expects deliveries of the new engine to start after the new trucks are launched this year. It is rated at 310 hp, one of the highest ever for a regular production four-cylinder engine. The new engine also uses an electric water pump, and a new and more efficient turbocharger from BorgWarner.

The original Tripower setup referred to the use of three two-barrel carburetors sitting on top of Pontiac's V-8 engines, used in the automaker's high-performance muscle cars. The final version of Pontiac's Tripower engine, a 389-cubic-inch V-8 used in the 1966 GTO, made 360 hp.

The arrangement was a less expensive option than fuel injection.

Pontiac offered Tripower engines in 1957-66. Pontiac muscle cars with Tripower engines from that era are now highly coveted by collectors, and the Tripower name is one of GM's most revered.
Source
Old 08-01-18, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For those of you old enough or experienced enough to remember (as I am)...the mid-60s GTO was not the only muscle-car, back then, to get triple-deuce carburetors. They were also an option on the late-60s Corvette 427, Dodge 440 Charger/Super Bee/Challenger R/T, and Plymouth 440 Road-Runner/GTX/Barracuda. A friend of mine, in high school, had a new (purple/Plum-Crazy color) Challenger R/T with the 440+6....he got less than 100 miles, on average, to a tankful of gas, with a gas tank of over 20 gallons of super-premium 100 octane leaded fuel.
Old 08-01-18, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Impressive engine by GM. Well done!
Old 08-02-18, 01:36 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 69 Vette with the mild 427 which has a Quadrajet, rated at 390 gross HP. Next step up was the tripower 427 rated at 400, only 10 more. I understand most guys took off the troublesome tripower and put on something simpler, now those tripower setups with manifold are worth a small fortune just because they're so scarce.
Old 08-02-18, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I have a 69 Vette with the mild 427 which has a Quadrajet, rated at 390 gross HP. Next step up was the tripower 427 rated at 400, only 10 more. I understand most guys took off the troublesome tripower and put on something simpler, now those tripower setups with manifold are worth a small fortune just because they're so scarce.
As I remember the late-60s 427 Tri-power 3-deuce 'Vette, it was rated at 435 gross HP....with a torque rating probably around 500 ft-lbs. In 1971, the HP rating system changed, and, on top of that, engines started being de-tuned for low-lead gas, and HP ratings dropped.
Old 08-04-18, 12:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I will say on paper, those numbers are mighty impressive. Name is stupid though, tri-power makes me think it runs on 3 cylinders most of the time to save fuel.

Still though the proof is in the pudding. Waiting on a full road test of this truck. Sometimes GM can really under-rate their engines, like the 4th gen Camaro Z28 with the LS1 V8. Factory rated at 305hp, ripps a low 13 second quarter mile comparable to the C5 Corvette which is rated at 345hp with the same LS1 V8 and weighs 200lbs less with more tire. Then sometimes the numbers don't make sense, Cadillac CTS 3.6 V6 vs the BMW 335i, Cadillac is down about 20hp depending on year, BMW rips off a quarter mile almost a second quicker vs the CTS.

Like I said, proof is in the pudding. I also kind of wonder how these trucks will hold up long term, GM has been putting A LOT of chinese parts in their trucks the last few years, one of the reasons I kind of doubt their long term reliability and service costs. I mean back in the good old days, if your 350 Chevy blew up, stick a 350 crate motor in there for $1000+500 for your mechanic, get-r-done, your truck never really dies due to some crazy expensive mechanical problem.