Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I bought a Kia

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Hey hey big spender!!! Congrats, thats awesome!

LMAO. You have been around here way to long for this! haha, but in this case mod = modifications, not moderators.

I know. Just a little (intended) humor on my part (kidding). You never know when I'm going to slip some in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 07:35 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

what do those things on the hood do?
Old 08-10-18, 04:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 689 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
what do those things on the hood do?
Make you look at them and ask silly questions. I'm sure you know that they're just for looks.
Old 08-10-18, 06:35 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Make you look at them and ask silly questions. I'm sure you know that they're just for looks.
Exactly. It's simply a design element. The IS-F tailpipes were a design element.
Old 08-10-18, 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

i thought they added 5hp
Old 08-10-18, 04:52 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm sure you know that they're just for looks.
i do? do you think they look good? what are they supposed to look like?
Old 08-10-18, 05:05 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Just thinking out loud - but I think some people like them and some people prefer a plain hood with no accents. Kia made an executive decision to use hood accents and they'll find out whether or not that was a good decision as time goes on. It took a long time to start seeing any near me in Palm Beach County but now I'm seeing them everywhere.
Old 08-11-18, 01:32 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 689 Likes on 511 Posts

They are supposed to look like hood vents. Personally, I would replace them with aftermarket semi-functional ones.
Old 08-11-18, 04:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats!

Mind telling us how much you got it for? Curious if these are being heavily discounted yet as monthly sales aren't that high...
Old 08-11-18, 05:43 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Down here in middle GA they have or had $10k discount.
Old 08-11-18, 06:33 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
I think that's the lease special they've been doing since the very beginning...
Old 08-12-18, 10:06 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats G! Sharp car and I'm sure it looks even better with you cruis'n down the road in it! Enjoy it in good health.
Old 08-12-18, 11:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

GFerg. Congrats on the Stinger!

It's a great car and checks off so many boxes with its looks, tech, power, and handling all at an attractive price. I agree with you, there are some (minor) quirks with the car such as the rear end float and the lack of full manual mode but the suspension drop has reduced it slightly. 8 months in and enjoying the car.

Get used to people thinking it's a Maserati or Panamera, especially if you replace the badging with the S.Korean market ones.
Old 08-13-18, 05:29 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Just thinking out loud - but I think some people like them and some people prefer a plain hood with no accents. Kia made an executive decision to use hood accents and they'll find out whether or not that was a good decision as time goes on. It took a long time to start seeing any near me in Palm Beach County but now I'm seeing them everywhere.
Yup, they are non functional. I'm probably part of the 50% that likes them regardless if it's functional or not. The other scoops behind the front and rear wheels are functional though.

Originally Posted by ST430
Congrats!

Mind telling us how much you got it for? Curious if these are being heavily discounted yet as monthly sales aren't that high...
Thanks! See my response to jimbosr1 below.

I've been trying to understand if they are selling well or poorly myself. Not exactly sure how many they planned on selling for the first year but they have moved a consistent 1500-1700 per month since December.

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Yup, this is about where I got it and it is the lease discount. For me it was $7900 manufacturer discount plus 2k negotiated price. Depending on the state you live in, Kia is offering an additional $1k. Also, the discount is less if you are getting anything that's not the GT2 (GT1 is $6400, GT is about $5500 if I recall correctly and etc)

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats G! Sharp car and I'm sure it looks even better with you cruis'n down the road in it! Enjoy it in good health.
hahahaha! Thanks buddy! But never as cool as you in your Porsche!
Old 08-13-18, 05:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
GFerg. Congrats on the Stinger!

It's a great car and checks off so many boxes with its looks, tech, power, and handling all at an attractive price. I agree with you, there are some (minor) quirks with the car such as the rear end float and the lack of full manual mode but the suspension drop has reduced it slightly. 8 months in and enjoying the car.

Get used to people thinking it's a Maserati or Panamera, especially if you replace the badging with the S.Korean market ones.
Hey fellow Stinger owner!! Yes, this car fit my needs perfectly! My original thought was to wait for the 2019 to get the 360 camera (that you all get in Canada), but noticing that it's not as cool as the cameras in the latest BMW's and the combination of the parking sensors and wide angle view rear camera talked me off the ledge. I just wanted to find a late production 2018 since there was a few early quality issues. Mine was built in May and dealer didn't receive until mid July. I purchased two weeks later.

Great to know that the drop takes care of that float. I'm pretty used to it now, but I still chuckle when it happens.

And yes, I replaced the Kia badge with the large Stinger badge on the trunk already. A very popular modification. Cleans up the rear immensely. The range of comments I have received is hilarious. Maserati is very common, a lot of Tesla comments and a few Panamera comments. Lots of confused faces when I say "No, it's a Kia". The design is doing its job though. People are becoming aware that Kia actually made this and according to them "have really stepped up".

Quick Reply: So I bought a Kia