Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I bought a Kia

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 11:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Hey fellow Stinger owner!! Yes, this car fit my needs perfectly! My original thought was to wait for the 2019 to get the 360 camera (that you all get in Canada), but noticing that it's not as cool as the cameras in the latest BMW's and the combination of the parking sensors and wide angle view rear camera talked me off the ledge. I just wanted to find a late production 2018 since there was a few early quality issues. Mine was built in May and dealer didn't receive until mid July. I purchased two weeks later.

Great to know that the drop takes care of that float. I'm pretty used to it now, but I still chuckle when it happens.

And yes, I replaced the Kia badge with the large Stinger badge on the trunk already. A very popular modification. Cleans up the rear immensely. The range of comments I have received is hilarious. Maserati is very common, a lot of Tesla comments and a few Panamera comments. Lots of confused faces when I say "No, it's a Kia". The design is doing its job though. People are becoming aware that Kia actually made this and according to them "have really stepped up".

Yeah, I would not have waited either for the 360 cam if I really wanted the car. It's a nice feature especially parking close to curbs, but not mandatory (for me anyway).

The float is still there (unfortunately) even with the drop (H&R Springs) though it is a bit less. Eibachs might be better here...

Do you have the infamous rear hatch rattle? Curious to know if your later build addressed that permanently since mine was never fully resolved even after their TSB and two trips to the dealer (I ended up permanently fixing it myself with thicker washers).
Old 08-13-18, 12:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, I would not have waited either for the 360 cam if I really wanted the car. It's a nice feature especially parking close to curbs, but not mandatory (for me anyway).

The float is still there (unfortunately) even with the drop (H&R Springs) though it is a bit less. Eibachs might be better here...

Do you have the infamous rear hatch rattle? Curious to know if your later build addressed that permanently since mine was never fully resolved even after their TSB and two trips to the dealer (I ended up permanently fixing it myself with thicker washers).
No hatch rattle and no rattles anywhere. Also have not experienced the radio fading to the rear on startup. I've read right after I purchased my car that some of those issues were addressed starting with the May build cars which was good to know.

I still do have very low miles, but would assume those issues would have reared it's head by now. Thankfully nothing.

My issues so far are all first world problems, stuff I can research by reading the thick manual which I've unfortunately been to busy to do so far (auto headlight sensitivity, Android Auto hiccups, auto start turns off when I unlock the door, radio still plays when i turn the car off, personally hate that "feature", etc.). Like I said, first world problem stuff.

I do plan on going with the Eibachs and sways. Yeah, Im not expecting it would completely get rid of it, but minimized is nice. It's not a glaring issue for me as it doesn't translate to the steering or cause sway. I chuckle and move on. Some don't even notice it, but would be nice to clean that up considering how sharp everything else is.

Last edited by GFerg; 08-13-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 04:15 AM
Takymoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy just bought one and I was giving him crap for buying a kia....until I drove it...... WOW!!!!! Incredible car and the styling has really grown on me. Nice!
Old 09-08-18, 05:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Saw a beautiful black sporty sedan last night as I walked to a restaurant after parking my car. Kept looking at it thinking it looked familiar - particularly the front. What threw me off was the badge on the hood - it was just the letter "E". Looked at the car from the side and kept thinking I should know what this is but was thrown off by the badge. All I knew was I really liked it. Googled it after dinner and found out it was a Stinger - the "E" badge apparently is used in the Korean market for the Stinger - so the owner here in FL obviously switched out the Kia badge for this. Here's an excerpt from the article I read followed by the full article link explaining the "E". The Stinger is a head-turner, regardless of the badge on the hood.

"'Engineered by Excellence' are the core themes. Exclusive (for a select few), Exquisite (sophisticated and sensitive), Evolutionary (constantly evolving) presents the direction of the new premium line-up of Kia."

https://www.caradvice.com.au/537640/...orean-stinger/
Old 09-08-18, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I like 'E' branding better than 'F' (fail, f-bomb, fantasy... )
Old 09-08-18, 10:48 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Congrats.
I see them a lot and they are striking, esp. the rear view