Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shopping for used hybrid — focus on miles or years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 12:43 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for used hybrid — focus on miles or years?

Am looking for a Certified (probably) RX450h. Which matters more, age or mileage? For example, am I better off with a ‘16 with 40k miles, or a ‘14 with 20k?
Old 08-05-18, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by byadg
Am looking for a Certified (probably) RX450h. Which matters more, age or mileage? For example, am I better off with a ‘16 with 40k miles, or a ‘14 with 20k?
Well if those are the two are the examples, keep in mind those are two different generations of RX. So the technology content on the 16 will be superior. You will also get two extra years of warranty (4 years unlimited miles vs 2 years unlimited). Also the hybrid powertrain warranty is 8-year / 100,000 miles. So unless price or style of the car is a deciding factor for the older model, I'm going with the 2016. That's just me.
Old 08-05-18, 02:18 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

The ‘16 w/40k is a real example, but the other was a hypothetical.

The question might be a ‘16 w/40k vs a new NX. I have to see the NX in person to see if it’s worth thinking about. I love the RX.
Old 08-05-18, 03:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

The ‘16 w/40k is a real example, but the other was a hypothetical.

The question might be a ‘16 w/40k vs a new NX. I have to see the NX in person to see if it’s worth thinking about. I love the RX.
While both may be hybrids, now we're talking apples and pineapples. RX as you know is a bigger vehicle and utilizes a V6 whereas the NX utilizes a 2.5L I4 paired with the Lexus hybrid drive (LHD). 2016 RX will not have the Lexus Safety System+ standard and was an option on that year. 2017 RX and 2018 NX will have it standard. Also factor the Lexus RXh is tuned on premium 91 octane whereas the NX is tuned for regular 87. In regards to your first question 'hybrid - focus on miles or years', Lexus and Toyota together have manufactured millions of hybrids and only a handful of cases have failed in regards to the hybrid system and battery. It has proven to be a very robust system, and Lexus technicians have an inside joke that the battery will outlast the engine. Close to 80% of Luxury hybrids on the road today are Lexus which bolsters their dependability. But from your second post, sounds like you're still all over the place. What you need to do is drive both.
Old 08-05-18, 03:31 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
. But from your second post, sounds like you're still all over the place. What you need to do is drive both.
I’m all over the place that is inside $42k (before tax). A new NX and a used RX fit under that ceiling so it’s a matter of what I’m willing to give up and maximize the bang that I can get from that many bucks. I’ve decided to limit myself to a Lexus, partly because I’ve always wanted one, and partly because it saves me from the nightmare of choosing between Honda and Infinity and Subaru and Buick and Caddy and Beamer and Acura...
Old 08-05-18, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I’m all over the place that is inside $42k (before tax). A new NX and a used RX fit under that ceiling so it’s a matter of what I’m willing to give up and maximize the bang that I can get from that many bucks. I’ve decided to limit myself to a Lexus, partly because I’ve always wanted one, and partly because it saves me from the nightmare of choosing between Honda and Infinity and Subaru and Buick and Caddy and Beamer and Acura...
i would get RX450h, but thats just me.

There is also new ES300h if you are open to sedan, which has latest tech and will get easily over 40 MPG.
Old 08-05-18, 04:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

14 with 20K is the better choice based on less miles. But style and design, the 16 is better IMO
Old 08-05-18, 06:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think you will go wrong with any Toyota or Lexus hybrid. They have proven themselves to be durable, reliable vehicles.

Just look at all the numbers of Prii, Camry Hybrids, Highlander Hybrids used as taxis, and ES Hybrids used as town cars / airport limousines.

It may come down to personal preference: Are you fine with an older model (lacking current electronics)? Are you fine with a (much) smaller model, like the NX Hybrid or upcoming UX Hybrid? Are you fine with a ES Hybrid sedan?
Old 08-06-18, 08:56 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, you shouldn't focus on either mileage or years, you should focus on battery capacity and performance.
I guess you are not buying a plugin because Lexus doesn't have it yet, on the paper, most of Lexus hybrid should give you up to 3 miles pure electric
range on flat road when speed is lower than 40 miles (at least, I know this is true on my previous Lexus hybrid).
But when battery capacity or performance drop, it can only get less than two miles, and the engine can easily kick in even speed is less than 35 miles.
Lexus service consultant told me that if I cannot get this level, I need to do battery test, otherwise, the hybrid cannot do much difference than ICE car.
Old 08-06-18, 09:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I don't think I would spend much time worrying about the time vs. miles. I would just find the best deal on the hybrid that works best for you. Test drive a bunch and see what feels like the best fit.
Old 08-06-18, 09:49 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Try both and see which one you like better. Both are Lexus, both will be reliable long-term.

A Lexus hybrid is designed not to be an "electric" car, but rather an ICE car that gets much better mileage in stop-and-go traffic. An ICE is pretty efficient at moving a car along under highway steady-state conditions, but really bad (really inefficient) when operating under high manifold-vacuum conditions such as coasting, very light load, or at a traffic light. So the hybrid shuts off the ICE under those conditions and instead uses electric motors to fill in under just those conditions, and those motors double as generators to store up much of the kinetic energy otherwise wasted as heat when braking.

The computer will start and shut down the ICE many dozens of times on even a short trip to the local market. It can get away with this because the "starter motor" is essentially a part of the engine and can spin up the engine in a small fraction of a second with the driver usually unaware.

Last edited by riredale; 08-06-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

i see you've decided 42k before tax is your cap. why 42k? why an rxh? do you need an suv? if you're in nyc i'd want something smaller. you could get a loaded NEW kia niro touring or hybrid with more features for way less money. i think it looks sharp too.
Old 08-06-18, 10:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see you've decided 42k before tax is your cap. why 42k? why an rxh? do you need an suv? if you're in nyc i'd want something smaller. you could get a loaded NEW kia niro touring or hybrid with more features for way less money. i think it looks sharp too.
I like the Kia Niro as well, but isn't it really slow, low HP vs RXh? 139hp (combined) vs 308hp.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-06-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 11:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I like the Kia Niro as well, but isn't it really slow, low HP vs RXh? 139hp (combined) vs 308hp.
it is like Prius, but CUV... and also Kia/Hyundai hybrid system has had many issues before. So it is completely different category of vehicle by size, power, and not a luxury one by any means.
Old 08-06-18, 01:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Choose the best deal possible. If you drive a lot, then it may be worth looking for a lower mileage vehicle to keep you in the warranty period longer. I don't place too much emphasis on miles when I buy my cars. Features, colors, price etc comes way before mileage unless I'm buying a European car.

NX300h vs RX450h: Just my opinion but I much rather get the RX. Material quality is nicer, the engine packs way more power and it still gets similar fuel economy. I shopped for an NX a while back but end up not getting it because it felt like a premium Rav4. I would have only gotten the NX if I didn't want anything larger.

Quick Reply: Shopping for used hybrid — focus on miles or years?