Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Servicing a Lexus LFA Is Incredibly Complicated and Fascinating

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 02:29 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Servicing a Lexus LFA Is Incredibly Complicated and Fascinating

Servicing a Lexus LFA Is Incredibly Complicated and Fascinating
By Brett Foote

Servicing an LFA is slightly more involved than your average local lube shop oil change and tire rotation.

Old 08-07-18, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Very interesting story. I find it interesting that the Lexus supercar is being serviced at a high performance center in Germany.
Old 08-07-18, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

that was interesting and by far the best slide show on CL so far, so well done.

but i wonder HOW MUCH that service costs.
Old 08-08-18, 07:02 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

While I was in college, I worked for a Lexus dealership. We had a customer pull up in an LFA and ask for an oil change. The service writer face was epic when the customer said he would wait in the lounge until it was done LOL. The service writer kindly told the customer that an oil change on the LFA was not like one on his LS and was promptly put in a loaner car.
Old 08-08-18, 07:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I watched a YouTube of an oil change on a Veyron. I know everything there is to know in the universe, and then some, but I was shocked to learn it had 16 drain plugs? Never heard of that, I would be very careful with them.

And the air filters and oil filter cartridge look to be the same as my BMW in theory. Yes, I would DIY but I would be very careful lol
Old 08-08-18, 07:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
While I was in college, I worked for a Lexus dealership. We had a customer pull up in an LFA and ask for an oil change. The service writer face was epic when the customer said he would wait in the lounge until it was done LOL. The service writer kindly told the customer that an oil change on the LFA was not like one on his LS and was promptly put in a loaner car.
Let me guess, one of the 14 RX350's lined up in the shop?
Old 08-08-18, 07:56 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Let me guess, one of the 14 RX350's lined up in the shop?
I think they put him in an LS demo
Old 08-08-18, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know everything there is to know in the universe, and then some,...

And the air filters and oil filter cartridge look to be the same as my BMW in theory. Yes, I would DIY but I would be very careful lol
if you actually owned a veyron, i don't think you'd be much interested in diy.
Old 08-08-18, 08:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

if you actually owned a veyron, i don't think you'd be much interested in diy.
After I saw the process, I could not in good conscience let a dealer handle (even on YouTube, the experiences we have, with dealers making errors, someone had with Lamborghini). If I were not capable, which could be the case due to what's involved in accessing, I'd probably lease then not worry since it's not my car and is under warranty, or not even get it.
Old 08-08-18, 04:15 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that was interesting and by far the best slide show on CL so far, so well done.

but i wonder HOW MUCH that service costs.
That was my question too. It's pretty cool that one leaky seal was the only problem with this one... I remember Lexus reps telling me the LFA they had in Torrance, which got beat on all the time didn't need anything but fluid changes and I think brakes. The biggest issue was the drivers side seat bolster had started to wear, ha ha! Completely different than any other exotic! Ha ha!
Old 08-08-18, 04:29 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

I’m not sure how any normal technician would feel comfortable working on this. While I’m sure there are the very best out there, just knowing this beautiful thing was put together by hand by perfectionists with a step by step checklist should be very intimidating. That veyron video just kinda highlights how difficult maintenance can be and I wouldn’t want people doing what they did to they did to that veyron cause there has to be scratches involved during that process and they still had extra screws when they were done
Old 08-09-18, 02:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

the LFA is one of the coolest things ever created, it's awesomeness is what makes me disappointed that the new "supra" is mostly a bmw
Old 08-09-18, 02:41 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the LFA is one of the coolest things ever created, it's awesomeness is what makes me disappointed that the new "supra" is mostly a bmw
to me the biggest disappointment is in the engine or what hasn’t come from its development. That amazing v10 that’s smaller than a v8 and lighter than a v6 but they haven’t downsized it to a v6 or v8 form. Instead we get small turbos in its place or the twin turbo. Why wasn’t Lexus the one to beat Mazda to having something as efficient as the skyactiv engines.
Old 08-09-18, 04:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

to me the biggest disappointment is in the engine or what hasn’t come from its development. That amazing v10 that’s smaller than a v8 and lighter than a v6 but they haven’t downsized it to a v6 or v8 form. Instead we get small turbos in its place or the twin turbo. Why wasn’t Lexus the one to beat Mazda to having something as efficient as the skyactiv engines.
The new TNGA Dynamic Force engines boast 40% thermal efficiency, handily beating the Mazda SkyActiv-G engines that only claim 29% thermal efficiency.
Old 08-09-18, 05:41 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sulu
The new TNGA Dynamic Force engines boast 40% thermal efficiency, handily beating the Mazda SkyActiv-G engines that only claim 29% thermal efficiency.
x is 44 so they still have them beat but while impressive I still which they would have come out with a newer v6 already. I guess I can live with it now since I just got my Gs so I’m not gonna get a new one for a while.

Quick Reply: Servicing a Lexus LFA Is Incredibly Complicated and Fascinating