Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

does everything need to be rebooted these days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 05:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default does everything need to be rebooted these days?

This happened with that Grand Caravan rental car.

We came back from Toronto on the GO train, so I remote started the minivan as we approached it in the garage. It was bumper to bumper out of the garage to the street.

In my mind, I was thinking this AC is not working, maybe for some reason it needs more time. The day before, my wife's cousin said, man this AC is nice, it's really cold.

That day, it was another cousin, the first cousin's brother. Finally he goes, I don't think the AC is working. My wife goes, will we get charged? I was thinking, dang if it's not working it'll be a long a** hot ride back to PA! Shut the car off, restarted, and AC was ice cold.

Later, I tried to duplicate the issue. Remote started, put key in ignition and turned, AC was ice cold. Same procedure as above.

It seems that with software driving so much in cars nowadays, we instinctively reboot, and it often clears up issues....(there was an episode where Doug D had to do the same with a Velar)
Old 08-08-18, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

sometimes remote start can put car in a different ac 'mode' than you might be expecting, like defrost, so i expect it wasn't 'not working', just in the wrong mode.

the phone app for my car lets you set the temp you want the car to go to when it starts and it has a switch for turning on defrost which was on by default i think... took me a while to figure out why there was nothing coming out of the main dash vents when i got in it. now i make sure the defrost switch on the app is off!
Old 08-08-18, 07:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sometimes remote start can put car in a different ac 'mode' than you might be expecting, like defrost, so i expect it wasn't 'not working', just in the wrong mode.

the phone app for my car lets you set the temp you want the car to go to when it starts and it has a switch for turning on defrost which was on by default i think... took me a while to figure out why there was nothing coming out of the main dash vents when i got in it. now i make sure the defrost switch on the app is off!
The interesting thing, is that once the key was in and turned, the climate control was as it was left, set at 60F for all aka sync'd, and in recirc. The only colder setting, would occur if temp had been set to LO.

I get what you mean, when the car is running, but the key has not been inserted yet and turned to ON, who knows what the car should be doing....

There had to have been some condition met that said AC should be off, although the dash is indicating it's on....
Old 08-08-18, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The interesting thing, is that once the key was in and turned, the climate control was as it was left, set at 60F for all aka sync'd, and in recirc. The only colder setting, would occur if temp had been set to LO.
ah, the old myth of 60F vs LO vs any other temp below the current temp in the car - IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. the climate system can only vary output air temp and fan speed. if diff. between temp inside car and climate set temp is somewhat big, say >9 degrees, then the car's gonna put out its coldest air at the highest fan speed. so if you get in a car on a hot day and it's 90 in the car - whether you set the climate to 80, 70, 60, or LO will make ZERO difference in the output. once the car gets closer inside to the set temp, the fan speed will drop proportionately.
Old 08-08-18, 01:00 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah, the old myth of 60F vs LO vs any other temp below the current temp in the car - IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. the climate system can only vary output air temp and fan speed. if diff. between temp inside car and climate set temp is somewhat big, say >9 degrees, then the car's gonna put out its coldest air at the highest fan speed. so if you get in a car on a hot day and it's 90 in the car - whether you set the climate to 80, 70, 60, or LO will make ZERO difference in the output. once the car gets closer inside to the set temp, the fan speed will drop proportionately.
Kinda like when ac at home is sized correctly (not in the luxury homes where they're oversized)....when it's 100F outside, it's not likely the house is going to be too much cooler than 80F...but it will be dry and not humid....

I do wonder, prior to electronic controls, when a car had a **** or lever, it would be easy to simply leave the lever to the cold position, and direct the vents to the face level. And even in the dead of winter, some nice cool air could come in. In the LS430, set it to 65 and vent, fresh not recirc, in the dead of winter, warm air is coming in. Even if it's 50, 55, 60 etc. Feel like telling the car, that's not what I want, I don't want to put it to low or max (whichever it is) and have the compressor kick in...
Old 08-08-18, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Kinda like when ac at home is sized correctly (not in the luxury homes where they're oversized)....when it's 100F outside, it's not likely the house is going to be too much cooler than 80F...but it will be dry and not humid....
If your AC is sized correctly, and ducted well when its 100 degrees outside you can make it 65 inside. If your AC won't get your house cooler than 80 when its 100 outside, something is wrong with your system.

Home AC units don't draw air from outside, they draw air from inside evacuating hot air and cooling it and delivering it back to the home. On full cool you expect about a temperature drop of about 20 degrees. So if the air going into the return from the house is 80 degrees, air coming out should be around 60 degrees. As the house inside cools the AC can make it colder and colder.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-08-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If your AC is sized correctly, and ducted well when its 100 degrees outside you can make it 65 inside. If your AC won't get your house cooler than 80 when its 100 outside, something is wrong with your system.

Home AC units don't draw air from outside, they draw air from inside evacuating hot air and cooling it and delivering it back to the home. On full cool you expect about a temperature drop of about 20 degrees. So if the air going into the return from the house is 80 degrees, air coming out should be around 60 degrees. As the house inside cools the AC can make it colder and colder.
My 28 year old unit certainly doesn't drop the temp 20° as well as it used to lol. A replacement is looooong overdue but the damn thing won't die!
Old 08-08-18, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
My 28 year old unit certainly doesn't drop the temp 20° as well as it used to lol. A replacement is looooong overdue but the damn thing won't die!
Oh when they're old they don't lol
Old 08-08-18, 05:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Admittedly off topic, but I had AC installed in our house last summer. First time I’ve ever had it. It’s awesome and life changing! I don’t have to try to sleep in an 85+ degree house!
Old 08-08-18, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Admittedly off topic, but I had AC installed in our house last summer. First time I’ve ever had it. It’s awesome and life changing! I don’t have to try to sleep in an 85+ degree house!
Seriously? First time you've ever had AC? How long have you had indoor toilets?
Old 08-08-18, 05:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

LOL the Pacific Nortwest, baby. Less than 10% of homes here in Seattle have it. Our summers are not long so most people don’t find it to be worth the cost, but I’m glad I took the plunge.
Old 08-08-18, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, this is true!
Old 08-08-18, 05:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Every time a position opens in my company in a warmer climate I apply. One of these days it’ll pan out and we’ll trade evergreens for palm trees.
Old 08-09-18, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Can I just say, LOL

This is oversimplification, yes, but you know how it goes nowadays with the web, everybody incl. me wants a simple way to get an answer. You can punch in 65F and see the results.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/hc/cal..._estimator.cfm

Our central AC was replaced 3 yrs. before I bought the house so that was kind of a good thing. During a heat wave in 2008, go to use it for the first time after coming back from Disney World (all threads lead here), and doesn't work! I admit I was angry as all ****, why didn't I test it prior when it wasn't this hot (would make too much sense)? $16 later and a new capacitor, been good ever since, that's 10 yrs. ago, wow.
Old 08-09-18, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Can I just say, LOL

This is oversimplification, yes, but you know how it goes nowadays with the web, everybody incl. me wants a simple way to get an answer. You can punch in 65F and see the results.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/hc/cal..._estimator.cfm
I'm not sure what your point is...

In any event units are typically sized based on square footage not desired interior temperature. Coming from having purchased hundreds of AC units for managed properties.

Our central AC was replaced 3 yrs. before I bought the house so that was kind of a good thing. During a heat wave in 2008, go to use it for the first time after coming back from Disney World (all threads lead here), and doesn't work! I admit I was angry as all ****, why didn't I test it prior when it wasn't this hot (would make too much sense)? $16 later and a new capacitor, been good ever since, that's 10 yrs. ago, wow.
Well thats always when it breaks LOL. Lucky for you it was only $16, especially having just come back from Disney World!

Quick Reply: does everything need to be rebooted these days?