Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealerships are Fine...But How Could They Be Better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 12:01 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Dealerships are Fine...But How Could They Be Better?

Dealerships are Fine...But How Could They Be Better?
By Staff Writer

In a perfect world, dealerships would be a place that consumers and enthusiasts would feel at home.

Old 08-15-18, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Three things. First, they could start by simply stocking more vehicles that are base models or only lightly-optioned. Too many of the vehicles they stock are loaded or top-line models. Second, some of them need more space. A number of dealerships are simply too small, physically, for the amount of business and service they do, are too hard to get in and out of, and severely lack customer-parking space....though it's sometimes difficult for them to expand, because of a number of factors. Third, they should stop doing silly jingle-ads on TV and actually do ads and promotions that don't insult one's intelligence.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 12:20 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Make it more interactive. And I dont mean with sales peoples as they are last on the list. Install VR walk arounds of the car and allow driving simulations. Turn it into a fun experience instead of the usual frustrating one and make sure the salespeople leave us the f alone and not try to sell people cars. Let the customers come to you after experiencing some virtual fun-ness.
Old 08-15-18, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Most of the stuff in the article is fluff.

Dealership facilities are designed to make you feel a certain way about a brand and car and then they are designed to take your money. It is no different than any other retail location. Lululemon, Starbucks, Apple Store, etc etc.

I have no issues with dealerships whatsoever. I kind of like them. People have a problem with them because when it comes to buying a car, people will feel threatened any time someone is going to take away such a large piece of money from them.
Old 08-15-18, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
sure the salespeople leave us the f alone and not try to sell people cars.
Sales success would never happen if there was no salesperson pressure.
Old 08-15-18, 01:41 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i used to be a salesman at the dealership i work at. i guess everyone has a different tactic. i didnt lie. -yes, i was honest, because its a product i truly believe in. i never really pressured my guests, well maybe politely. but i would try to push them into what i thought would be right for their needs/lifestyle, and tended totalk a little too much.example, family with three kids comes in to look at an ES350 while cross shopping the mercedes e class.. id try to get them into an RX, based on what i thought would be better for them (family vacations, kids to soccer practice, whatever). one month it would work and at one point i was the highest grossing salesman at the dealership. then my luck ran out. i went from selling 20-25 cars a month... to 5, and it stayed that way. needless to say, i am no longer in sales. however the dealership experience here is pretty decent overall. i think a fitness center for our guests would be kinda cool. why not work out while your stuck getting your car serviced for an hour or two? i think a cafe would be nice, like an actual cafe with windows overlooking the service bay so people could look at their cars being serviced. (nerd factor)
Old 08-15-18, 01:58 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
i think a fitness center for our guests would be kinda cool. why not work out while your stuck getting your car serviced for an hour or two? i think a cafe would be nice, like an actual cafe with windows overlooking the service bay so people could look at their cars being serviced. (nerd factor)
I would really appreciate a fitness center. That's a good idea - obviously it comes with liability so you'd have to sign waivers, etc. but that would be a great use of my time if I'm stuck there for an hour (I wish airports had this too). I like the concept of being able to have a bite to eat and/or drink while watching your car get serviced as well. My Toyota dealer used to have a decent cafe but they got rid of it in exchange for some very high tech vending machines. Apparently the cost of the vending machines is much lower than staffing the cafe and monitoring food inventory, etc.
Old 08-15-18, 02:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I would appreciate some sort of restaurant/cafe. It doesn't have to be complimentary, as I'd be happy to pay. My Lexus dealer has a nice free coffee bar and snacks, but if I'm getting service during my lunch break, it would be helpful if I could grab a sandwich or burger there while I wait. Or when buying late in the afternoon and we're getting hungry for dinner, the ability to sit and talk about it while grabbing a bite would be worthwhile.

The Toyota dealer where we bought our Highlander had a restaurant like this and I found it to be a great perk. The sales people would give you coupons for a free meal there while you waited. Unfortunately it's not local so I don't use them for service.

One other thing that is really nice at the Toyota dealer that I do use for service on the Highlander, is when I have my kids with me they give them toys. They get a new toy car to play with every time we come in. They always discretely ask me for permission to give the kids a toy first, which is appreciated. Keeps the kids happy and entertained. It's a small thing but very helpful.
Old 08-15-18, 10:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm happy with all my dealerships and experiences there. It's particular salesmen, and their tactics that need improving.
I like the idea of a fitness center. Health should always be the goal wherever we go. If one wants to build a loyal customer base, in the name of more sales, having people live longer helps. Feeding them Coke and pastries does the opposite.
Old 08-16-18, 10:23 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Being able to watch your car being worked on is definitely a great idea but I don't know if the techs would feel like they might not being able to take a breath while under the gaze of quizzical owners? For every enthusiast that would be grateful for the hard work being done there could be an owner or two who questions every move they make lol
Old 08-16-18, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Being able to watch your car being worked on is definitely a great idea but I don't know if the techs would feel like they might not being able to take a breath while under the gaze of quizzical owners? For every enthusiast that would be grateful for the hard work being done there could be an owner or two who questions every move they make lol
Some dealerships have shops with big windows above the service-bays, where customers sit in the lounge, and they can look down, out the window, at what is going on with their car.
Old 08-16-18, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

dealerships only exist to take and make money from vehicles and services. i hope to step foot in one as little as possible. soon my 6k service is due... i will call the dealer, they will come get my car and give me a loaner. they will call me when my car's ready and we'll arrange where they can bring it back to me and swap vehicles. buying or leasing a vehicle should be equally painless, but it isn't for MOST consumers. i will likely hire someone to 'deal' on my next vehicle because i view it as a waste of my time and irritating.
Old 08-16-18, 11:11 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things:

1. Tone down the country club one percenter atmosphere and try appealing more to the auto enthusiast. Some of us appreciate the Lexus brand more for performance and engineering innovation rather than as status symbols.
2. Bring down the cost of parts and labor so that I'm not constantly thinking "Stealership."
Old 08-16-18, 11:23 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

IMHO dealership repair prices along with the Fast and Furious movies are probably responsible for a good portion of the population learning how to work on their cars. Everyone knows that dealerships are a business and need to make money but it would be nice to not feel like you've been turned upside down with your pockets emptied out post major servicing.

Last edited by Curated Content Editor; 08-16-18 at 11:24 AM. Reason: grammar morphing
Old 08-16-18, 04:59 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Loaner cars cost a fortune to supply. Dealership overhead is enormous. New car sales doesn't support much considering the cost of the floorpan so its up to service and parts and finance departments to charge rediculous markups to pay for it all. Many years ago before all these expected pampering items they could stay competitive with independent repair shops and auto parts stores. Now you get your warranty work done and pay double or triple for customer pay.

Quick Reply: Dealerships are Fine...But How Could They Be Better?