Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT - My Long-Term Ownership Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 09:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Thanks for providing the update!
Old 01-19-19, 09:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for providing the update!
My pleasure! Are you closer to a decision or perhaps I missed it in your thread...?
Old 01-19-19, 10:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My pleasure! Are you closer to a decision or perhaps I missed it in your thread...?
I’m still struggling a bit with my decision. Update coming soon.
Old 01-20-19, 06:40 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
PROS:

2. Car still turns heads, people and feels smooth and powerful with a nice exhaust growl.
the actual exhaust growl, or the fake simulated exhaust / intake growl? and have you turned off the fake noise or do you like it?
Old 01-20-19, 03:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the actual exhaust growl, or the fake simulated exhaust / intake growl? and have you turned off the fake noise or do you like it?
Both the natural and amplified exhaust growl heard from either in or out.
Old 01-20-19, 04:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Great insightful review. Glad you are liking your Stinger.
Old 01-21-19, 05:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Enjoyed reading the 1 year update and continue seeing Stingers around my area and still love the looks of them.

Out of curiosity, why does the panel in the first pic say "press start button with key"? Can you not leave the key in your pocket, put foot on the brake, and push the start button?
Old 01-21-19, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Enjoyed reading the 1 year update and continue seeing Stingers around my area and still love the looks of them.

Out of curiosity, why does the panel in the first pic say "press start button with key"? Can you not leave the key in your pocket, put foot on the brake, and push the start button?

It probably means press the button with the key/fob in close proximity. Most recent vehicles are programmed to start with the fob within a few feet of the car's sensing-equipment.....same with the automatic door unlock.
Old 01-21-19, 04:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Correct, when key is outside of the vehicle and you press the Engine start button with the key detected outside, this message displays.

You can leave the key in pocket just like every other Keyless start vehicle.

Thanks for the update! Mine is still holding up very strong except for a trunk rattle over the worst of bumps. Very infrequent and isn't nearly intrusive like some of the early builds I've seen on youtube. Will also wait till it warms up to see if it goes away. Not concerned currently, but if it sticks around once it does warm, then I'll address it.

Other than that, zero complaints and still haven't experienced anything that will make me run back to the dealer (7700 miles currently).

Waiting for some good snow so I can pull the AWD fuse and do some donuts/drift in an open parking lot.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-21-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 09:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great insightful review. Glad you are liking your Stinger.
Thanks and glad you're enjoying your RC F! If memory serves, you got your RC F a couple months before I departed with mine. Some moments I miss the RC F's tank-like solidity and build quality (best car I ever had in this area) and of course, the melodious powerful V8.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Correct, when key is outside of the vehicle and you press the Engine start button with the key detected outside, this message displays.

You can leave the key in pocket just like every other Keyless start vehicle.

Thanks for the update! Mine is still holding up very strong except for a trunk rattle over the worst of bumps. Very infrequent and isn't nearly intrusive like some of the early builds I've seen on youtube. Will also wait till it warms up to see if it goes away. Not concerned currently, but if it sticks around once it does warm, then I'll address it.

Other than that, zero complaints and still haven't experienced anything that will make me run back to the dealer (7700 miles currently).

Waiting for some good snow so I can pull the AWD fuse and do some donuts/drift in an open parking lot.

Yeah, I basically, pushed the start button to display the Odometer without the key in the car.

Glad yours is tight with no (numerous) minor issues like mine had, I guess minus the notorious hatch rattle we all seem to have to various degrees. Will share an update when temps warm up see if it goes away.
Old 02-27-19, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

We were listening to Autoblog. The Stinger got some rough comments on quality. Rattle in the rear hatch. Rear passenger door making some weird noise. One of the testers for the long term said he would not buy this car if it was his $45K. A good review overall though.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-27-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 02:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We were listening to Autoblog. The Stinger got some rough comments on quality. Rattle in the rear hatch. Rear passenger door making some weird noise. One of the testers for the long term said he would not buy this car if it was his $45K. A good review overall though.
It seems like a lot of the issues are early in the Stinger's life. I wonder if, when fixed, the rear hatch rattle would resurface. That's of course, assuming there's a fix for it.

I'm just thinking about my IS and how it developed a rattle in the plastic trim around the steering column. I had had the car for only a couple of months. The dealership fixed it (just added some form around the steering column), and other than the intermittent buzzing from the driver's ceiling grab handle area, which seems to be only during very cold weather, it's been rock-solid. Just makes me wonder if the Stinger's issues, like my IS's, are just minor defects of build quality.
Old 02-27-19, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

i'm driving a rental corolla right now... the most popular car in the world, with 'bulletproof' toyota quality. the driver's side dash rattles terribly and it has, bar none, the worst cvt ever. i think it has about 8000 miles on it.
Old 02-27-19, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm driving a rental corolla right now... the most popular car in the world, with 'bulletproof' toyota quality. the driver's side dash rattles terribly and it has, bar none, the worst cvt ever. i think it has about 8000 miles on it.
Bahahahkahuna, that was dirty LOL.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-27-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 04:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
appears autoblog got the stinger right after it was launched. so not that surprising there might be some creaks/noises.

here's some more on that.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/14/...update-review/

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT - My Long-Term Ownership Updates