Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT - My Long-Term Ownership Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 09:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Time flies when you're having fun...!

18 months update, exactly 20k km on the odometer.

Besides the several smallish (but some costly) issues experienced by the 12 month ownership time frame (as seen here), I have a couple more updates:

Pros:
No new pros, however, I'm reminded almost daily on its practicality (ironic yes!) and how onlookers are impressed with the styling and presence of the car. People still do not know this car and think it's a far more expensive, luxury car. In fact, new BMW 8-series GC???

Cons:
1. Some new rattles/creaks surfacing:
- Panoramic sunroof
- Rear hatch (still though occasional on harder road bumps)
- Driver door panel creaking

2. Rubber/weatherproofing around the glass/trunk lid coming out.

Overall, still really like the Stinger despite some minor build quality issues, thanks to the performance, practicality, and uniqueness/styling. Thankfully, I still barely see any on the road.

Keeper for now though I'm slowly getting the itch for a BEV (Toyota Corp, where are you??)

Test drive the Tesla 3 Performance. The instant response is unbelievable. Your whole perception of cars changes after the test drive.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-22-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

EZZ do you have one? the performance of the 3 performance is certainly incredible but i personally just don't need a car that fast even if it's fun once in a while. but anyway, that's off topic.

corradoMR2 - your stinger looks great and i do a double take every time i see one on the road or parked. SHARP looking car! i know the g70 is a (good bit) smaller cousin, but i love the looks of them too.
Old 06-22-19, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
EZZ do you have one? the performance of the 3 performance is certainly incredible but i personally just don't need a car that fast even if it's fun once in a while. but anyway, that's off topic.

corradoMR2 - your stinger looks great and i do a double take every time i see one on the road or parked. SHARP looking car! i know the g70 is a (good bit) smaller cousin, but i love the looks of them too.
I received mine on Monday and its been something else. I feel unencumbered by the laws of physics...it just goes whenever . Spaceship.

I think the G70 is too small relative to the Stinger. I think its even smaller in the back than the IS which was pretty small. I hardly see any G70s on the road though and the discounts they are giving are incredible. I think instead of a fastback, they should have gone sport crossover and competed with the Macan.
Old 06-23-19, 07:15 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Great update on the Stinger. It's good to know about those minor issues, but yeah I suspect it's worth it based on how fun and yet practical the car is. Still liking those wheels myself too, good choice.

Yeah I've driven the Dual Motor (not-Performance), and it's incredible how immediate the response is. I can barely imagine what the Performance is like. I think even the Dual Motor would be enough to get me in trouble.
Old 06-23-19, 12:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I received mine on Monday and its been something else. I feel unencumbered by the laws of physics...it just goes whenever . Spaceship.
Originally Posted by arentz07
Great update on the Stinger. It's good to know about those minor issues, but yeah I suspect it's worth it based on how fun and yet practical the car is. Still liking those wheels myself too, good choice.

Yeah I've driven the Dual Motor (not-Performance), and it's incredible how immediate the response is. I can barely imagine what the Performance is like. I think even the Dual Motor would be enough to get me in trouble.

Thanks folks. The 1.3" drop from the H&R springs helps the look IMO.

I'm liking the Model 3 and if I were to change the Stinger today, it would likely be for that. We'll see if I can hit the 2 year mark with the Stinger!
Old 06-23-19, 01:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks folks. The 1.3" drop from the H&R springs helps the look IMO.

I'm liking the Model 3 and if I were to change the Stinger today, it would likely be for that. We'll see if I can hit the 2 year mark with the Stinger!
I know you like speed. You have to test the performance model. There is a world of difference between a mid 4 second car to 60 vs a low 3 second car.
Old 06-23-19, 01:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by EZZ
I know you like speed. You have to test the performance model. There is a world of difference between a mid 4 second car to 60 vs a low 3 second car.

Agree, I can imagine the thrust. Though in all honesty, having had the RC F and Stinger fulfill my bug for speed the last few years, it's rare I use the power and I don't feel the need as a priority. Also, the 3 Performance with taxes is crazy expensive in Canada (no gov't rebates) pushing the price close to $100K . A Standard Plus is about $55K all-in.
Old 06-23-19, 01:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Agree, I can imagine the thrust. Though in all honesty, having had the RC F and Stinger fulfill my bug for speed the last few years, it's rare I use the power and I don't feel the need as a priority. Also, the 3 Performance with taxes is crazy expensive in Canada (no gov't rebates) pushing the price close to $100K . A Standard Plus is about $55K all-in.
Wow. The after rebate price of my performance was $55k. Such a large difference
Old 06-23-19, 02:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Wow. The after rebate price of my performance was $55k. Such a large difference
you're comparing loonies vs bucks.
Old 06-23-19, 04:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

you're comparing loonies vs bucks.
100k Canadian is still $75k usd. The price in Cali is $55k after rebates. $20k difference for the same car is pretty wide.
Old 06-24-19, 09:27 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Come on Joe, you're bored with the Stinger, admit it Get that model 3 so we can all enjoy and learn from your posts.
Old 06-24-19, 09:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Come on Joe, you're bored with the Stinger, admit it Get that model 3 so we can all enjoy and learn from your posts.

We shall see!
Old 06-26-19, 12:25 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Keeper for now though I'm slowly getting the itch for a BEV (Toyota Corp, where are you??)

Interesting, so poor sealing from the glass to the trunk deck? Maybe if they started making all sedans hatches like this with rear folding seats they would help a bit in sales. Most large items i'd transport myself would fit this way and i'd never consider an SUV otherwise, unless you got multiple little ones with the massive baby seats....

I'm glad its doing well, makes the competition up their game(hopefully)