Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its an entirely different consumer. The Sprinter and Metras don’t sell to a luxury car consumer, they are commercial vehicles and the odd unusual huge family that might look at a Sprinter. They aren’t even held in the same showroom/area of the dealer.
You can absolutely buy a Metris or a AMG GT from the same showroom at the same dealer. Sometimes the Metris is sitting side by side to a $200K Mercedes. All are sold by the same salespersons. Some dealer however split the Mercedes Vans and cars into separate locations.

Mercedes has a huge commercial division that we rarely see in the US, that’s where those vehicles come from. We’re not talking about a Lexus commercial pickup here.
Toyota also has a massive commercial division worldwide. Very easy for their Lexus division to sell a truck.
Old 08-22-18, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can absolutely buy a Metris or a AMG GT from the same showroom at the same dealer. Sometimes the Metris is sitting side by side to a $200K Mercedes. All are sold by the same salespersons. Some dealer however split the Mercedes Vans and cars into separate locations.
I'm sure it depends on the dealer, but none of the Mercedes dealers are like that here. The commercial vehicles aren't displayed in front, they have a Sprinter side or something like that. Sure a particular salesperson can sell anything, but they typically don't. New MB sells new MB, used MB sells used MB, Sprinter/Metris sells Sprinter/Metris. The guy I dealt with wore a Sprinter Polo and had nothing to do with MB cars. They do a lot of fleet sales/etc its a very different job working in B2B sales vs retail sales like most car salespeople.

BTW, thats the same way at Ford dealers or GM dealers etc that sell commercial trucks. They have a dedicated staff that does that. They don't put Transits and Transit Connects in the showrooms, etc.

Toyota also has a massive commercial division worldwide. Very easy for their Lexus division to sell a truck.
But why would they want to? Toyota sells commercial vehicles through Toyota...Mercedes sells them through Mercedes because thats all they have. Toyota does it through Toyota.

Why would they want to sell a Lexus commercial truck?!?

And the fact that Mercedes has a pickup and they DON'T sell it here proves they see no market for it here.
Old 08-22-18, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure it depends on the dealer, but none of the Mercedes dealers are like that here. The commercial vehicles aren't displayed in front, they have a Sprinter side or something like that. Sure a particular salesperson can sell anything, but they typically don't. New MB sells new MB, used MB sells used MB, Sprinter/Metris sells Sprinter/Metris. The guy I dealt with wore a Sprinter Polo and had nothing to do with MB cars. They do a lot of fleet sales/etc its a very different job working in B2B sales vs retail sales like most car salespeople.

BTW, thats the same way at Ford dealers or GM dealers etc that sell commercial trucks. They have a dedicated staff that does that. They don't put Transits and Transit Connects in the showrooms, etc.

But why would they want to? Toyota sells commercial vehicles through Toyota...Mercedes sells them through Mercedes because thats all they have. Toyota does it through Toyota.

Why would they want to sell a Lexus commercial truck?!?

And the fact that Mercedes has a pickup and they DON'T sell it here proves they see no market for it here.
I don't think I said Lexus commercial truck. The Toyota brand and Lexus brand go hand in hand. Lexus on the lower half of their line up is closer to mainstream than Mercedes-Benz is.
Old 08-22-18, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well Mercedes-Benz of Rochester absolutely sells them side by side. In Toronto some are side by side while some are separate building. I don’t see what the big issue is.

Old 08-22-18, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I can't see this. I think Lexus probably has refrained from entering this segment simply from seeing the mistakes of the past.
Old 08-22-18, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Theres no big issue, thats just not how dealerships here in my area do it.

As for you not saying would Lexus sell a commercial truck...I don't understand your point. You brought the Sprinter and Metris into this discussion, they aren't pickups and they aren't vehicles designed for widespread consumer use, they are commercial vans overwhelmingly sold to businesses and companies. The fact that Mercedes sells commercial vans has nothing to do with whether or not Lexus could sell a consumer pickup to consumers...

Old 08-22-18, 09:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Theres no big issue, thats just not how dealerships here in my area do it.

As for you not saying would Lexus sell a commercial truck...I don't understand your point. You brought the Sprinter and Metris into this discussion, they aren't pickups and they aren't vehicles designed for widespread consumer use, they are commercial vans overwhelmingly sold to businesses and companies. The fact that Mercedes sells commercial vans has nothing to do with whether or not Lexus could sell a consumer pickup to consumers...

You said that Mercedes-Benz does not sell the Metris or Sprinter out of the same showroom or area of the dealer. This is not the case. So if MB could sell a Metris or Sprinter at the same dealer, then Lexus could sell a Lexus truck out of their dealers. Not every Lexus buyer is going to be the same demographic as a MB buyer and vice versa
Old 08-22-18, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You said that Mercedes-Benz does not sell the Metris or Sprinter out of the same showroom or area of the dealer. This is not the case. So if MB could sell a Metris or Sprinter at the same dealer, then Lexus could sell a Lexus truck out of their dealers. Not every Lexus buyer is going to be the same demographic as a MB buyer and vice versa
No, thats not what I said at all. This is what I said:

Emphasis added to make it clearer for you.

And your logic doesn't make sense. If Mercedes were selling a pickup truck to consumers your logic would make sense. Saying that because Mercedes can sell non luxury commercial vehicles to business clients then Lexus could sell a luxury pickup to consumers makes no sense. Its like saying Apple can sell speakers to consumers because Microsoft can sell keyboards to schools. Nonsensical.
Old 08-22-18, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, thats not what I said at all. This is what I said:

Emphasis added to make it clearer for you.

And your logic doesn't make sense. If Mercedes were selling a pickup truck to consumers your logic would make sense. Saying that because Mercedes can sell non luxury commercial vehicles to business clients then Lexus could sell a luxury pickup to consumers makes no sense. Its like saying Apple can sell speakers to consumers because Microsoft can sell keyboards to schools. Nonsensical.
This actually what you said

I have, in fact to look at a Metras to buy.

Its an entirely different consumer. The Sprinter and Metras don’t sell to a luxury car consumer, they are commercial vehicles and the odd unusual huge family that might look at a Sprinter. They aren’t even held in the same showroom/area of the dealer.

Mercedes has a huge commercial division that we rarely see in the US, that’s where those vehicles come from. We’re not talking about a Lexus commercial pickup here.

You then changed your comments to here
Old 08-22-18, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This actually what you said

You then changed your comments to here
I didn't change my comment, I just responded to what you said...all I can speak to is how its done in the dealerships I have been in.
Old 08-22-18, 09:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I..all I can speak to is how its done in the dealerships I have been in.
Got you. Makes sense now.

Toyota sells over 115K Tundras. Lexus could definitely sell 5-10K units. Easy.
Old 08-22-18, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Got you. Makes sense now.

Toyota sells over 115K Tundras. Lexus could definitely sell 5-10K units. Easy.
But is 5-10k units worth developing an entire variant of the Tundra? I highly doubt it.

Lets put it this way, when Lexus makes a pickup call me...I'll buy you one.
Old 08-22-18, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But is 5-10k units worth developing an entire variant of the Tundra? I highly doubt it.
How much different would it be? It would based off a Tundra, not much different than how a LX is based off an LC
Old 08-22-18, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Lets put it this way, when Lexus makes a pickup call me...I'll buy you one.
Careful....you said that in front of a lot of witnesses LOL.

I agree, though, while not ruled out, that a Lexus pickup any time soon is not very likely.
Old 08-22-18, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How much different would it be? It would based off a Tundra, not much different than how a LX is based off an LC
It costs a manufacturer a lot to make those sorts of changes. You need a whole front clip, you need a whole new interior, dashboard, seats, trim, displays, you need new wheels, new paint colors and exterior trim. You need to design all of that, test it, implement it and manufacture it. The LX is sold all over the world, not just 5-10k units in the US. They sell a ton of them in the Middle East.

Quick Reply: Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?