Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 10:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Careful....you said that in front of a lot of witnesses LOL.

I agree, though, while not ruled out, that a Lexus pickup any time soon is not very likely.
As his counsel, let me clarify--yes, the Lexus pickup would be purchased for Jill, if Lexus were to make scale models. What was omitted was that it would be 1:18 or 1:43, depending on which were readily available within 60 days of the launch. In the event that pigs began to fly, a real vehicle would then be purchased.
Old 08-22-18, 10:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
As his counsel, let me clarify--yes, the Lexus pickup would be purchased for Jill, if Lexus were to make scale models. What was omitted was that it would be 1:18 or 1:43, depending on which were readily available within 60 days of the launch. In the event that pigs began to fly, a real vehicle would then be purchased.
Haha, sneaky! I like it! You're hired.
Old 08-22-18, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It costs a manufacturer a lot to make those sorts of changes. You need a whole front clip, you need a whole new interior, dashboard, seats, trim, displays, you need new wheels, new paint colors and exterior trim. You need to design all of that, test it, implement it and manufacture it. The LX is sold all over the world, not just 5-10k units in the US. They sell a ton of them in the Middle East.
Would all be developed into the overall cost of a Tundra. The Tundra platform in North America outsells the Land Cruiser/LX platform. It could very easily be done.
Old 08-22-18, 10:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lets put it this way, when Lexus makes a pickup call me...I'll buy you one.
Originally Posted by Johnhav430
No need to get personal.
Old 08-22-18, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Would all be developed into the overall cost of a Tundra. The Tundra platform in North America outsells the Land Cruiser/LX platform. It could very easily be done.
I completely disagree.

Seeing that Lexus has never done it they clearly agree with me so its a moot point.
Old 08-22-18, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No need to get personal.
Who's getting personal? Its a joke, lighten up.
Old 08-22-18, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I completely disagree.

Seeing that Lexus has never done it they clearly agree with me so its a moot point.
I don't see how Lexus not ever having one has anything to do with it. Lexus never had an F-Sport Es350 until 2019
Old 08-22-18, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If Lexus thought they could make money from it and it was a worthwhile segment to explore, they would do it. They sat and watched Cadillac and Lincoln do it, and fail, and didnt make any move to try and complete.

Contrast that to the idea of making a luxury SUV which Lexus jumped all over, and a luxury crossover which they jumped all over.

This making a luxury truck is not a new concept, its been tried several times...hell Lincoln tried it TWICE with the Blackwood and then more recently the Mark LT and failed both times, and with both trucks they had the underpinnings of the best selling truck in America to build off of. Lexus has entertained this concept I'm sure and has rejected it.
Old 08-22-18, 11:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Contrast that to the idea of making a luxury SUV which Lexus jumped all over, and a luxury crossover which they jumped all over.
Lexus didn't just jump all all over the luxury crossover, they literally created that entire segment from zero. No car company has had that magnitude of influence on the industry since Dodge introduced the Caravan in 1984.

As you point out, the luxury pickup truck segment crashed and burned in the 'oughts. Cadillac or Lincoln won't be trying again, even though they could base their models on the #1 and #2 bestselling vehicles in the US. No way Toyota would waste that kind of money.

Last edited by geko29; 08-22-18 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-22-18, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Lexus thought they could make money from it and it was a worthwhile segment to explore, they would do it. They sat and watched Cadillac and Lincoln do it, and fail, and didnt make any move to try and complete.

This making a luxury truck is not a new concept, its been tried several times...hell Lincoln tried it TWICE with the Blackwood and then more recently the Mark LT and failed both times, and with both trucks they had the underpinnings of the best selling truck in America to build off of. Lexus has entertained this concept I'm sure and has rejected it.
I did not test-drive, but looked at the Lincoln Mark LT (when it was available in stock...as very few were ordered or sold). It probably did not sell because it was simply too much of a rebadged Ford F-150. To put a Lincoln nameplate on that truck was an insult to one's intelligence.
Old 08-22-18, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did not test-drive, but looked at the Lincoln Mark LT (when it was available in stock...as very few were ordered or sold). It probably did not sell because it was simply too much of a rebadged Ford F-150. To put a Lincoln nameplate on that truck was an insult to one's intelligence.
Which is exactly what Jill is suggesting Lexus do with the Tundra.
Old 08-22-18, 02:27 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is something I dislike, but it is the market. Lexus is so LATE to this party. Lexus needs to wake up with this AND and produce a beautiful LS station wagon! Sure, the wagons are "dead" but not in the high end. If anyone from Lexus reads this.. there are buyers and it's a setment that is beginning to come alive in the upper end again. But, please, save the brutal [ugly to me] look for the pick up truck and make the LS wagon a beauty, OK?
Old 08-22-18, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What market is there for luxury wagons? Pretty much everybody who offered one in the US has discontinued it.
Old 08-22-18, 02:44 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

SW17LS: Perhaps if you studied the market? Look at the newest high end wagons coming. Lexus is already late for this and about to be left snoozing.
Old 08-22-18, 02:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It appears there is flickering interest in luxury wagons but still low volume. The future of some wagons are questionable. Personally I hope as the CUV market matures and buyers start looking for attractive versatile alternatives that luxury wagons catch on again in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?