Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 05:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm not saying a pickup truck may not make sense- but to say the LX doesn't make sense doesn't make sense. Not sure that sentence makes sense.
I was more just responding to what you said about the interior being too nice on a Lexus truck or something like that to get dirty. So then how can that work for the Lexus LX? I don't think the demographics for a Lexus truck are those that get their boots dirty. Its the ones that tow boats or other trailers. If you are around marine and equestrian events, there are a lot of high end trucks as well as SUVs as well.

I'm not saying a pickup truck may not make sense-
Glad you can say that. I think it is worth the experiment, MB, Audi, and BMW could never ever offer a domestic produced truck, that gives Lexus and immediate competitive advantage. Only the domestics could offer something through Cadillac or GMC.

I
The LX isn't a good SUV compared to other makes? I beg to differ on that - different topic though.
Just referring to the overall size, rear cargo capacity, and the fact that it is a very old platform. A GM full size SUV or Ford SUV are far superior. Same with a Range Rover somewhat.

Old 08-24-18, 06:59 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think it is worth the experiment, MB, Audi, and BMW could never ever offer a domestic produced truck, that gives Lexus and immediate competitive advantage. Only the domestics could offer something through Cadillac or GMC.
But that's the thing. The Sierra Denali IS a legitimate luxury truck, sold under a non-luxury brand. And it sells like crazy. I bet if you exclude fleet sales, the Denali makes up over half of Sierra volume. The top trims of Ford, Chevy, and Ram trucks also sell like gangbusters. But when Cadillac and Lincoln tried selling a luxury truck under a luxury brand, crickets. 2,000 units/year for the Escalade EXT, and nowhere near even that sad little number for the Blackwood or Mark LT.

American pickup consumers, even those who want fully-loaded luxury trucks that sticker for $70k or more, overwhelmingly want them from "normal" brands.
Old 08-24-18, 07:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was more just responding to what you said about the interior being too nice on a Lexus truck or something like that to get dirty.

Just referring to the overall size, rear cargo capacity, and the fact that it is a very old platform. A GM full size SUV or Ford SUV are far superior. Same with a Range Rover somewhat.
I wasn't the poster who made the comments about the interior being too nice to get dirty. I actually am the poster who said I'd support a pickup if it was based off of the LX platform instead of the Tundra platform. I'm clearly an LX/LandCruiser fan.

Going off topic but responding: Only agree on the rear cargo capacity comment with the jump seats. Even with sacrificing a bit of space with them in, there's absolutely no way you could talk me into a GM (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Suburban) or Ford Product (Expedition, Navigator). I rent those frequently and can't wait to get back in the LX. We looked at the Range Rover but didn't think it felt big enough on the inside for our family and how we would use the truck. It's a beautiful and elegant vehicle, much more so than the LX to my eye - we were tempted but chose the LX instead.
Old 08-24-18, 07:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
But when Cadillac and Lincoln tried selling a luxury truck under a luxury brand, crickets. 2,000 units/year for the Escalade EXT
Cadillac EXT sold 13K in its best year. Then 11K, then 9K, then 7K for a few years until the recession which hit it hard. So don’t use the words crickets and you didn’t even look up the numbers. Also, it was sold alongside the Avalanche which helped absorb costs. Nobody is saying It needs to sell at 100K units like you and others are implying to be determined a success
Old 08-26-18, 05:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wasn't the poster who made the comments about the interior being too nice to get dirty. I actually am the poster who said I'd support a pickup if it was based off of the LX platform instead of the Tundra platform. I'm clearly an LX/LandCruiser fan..
Sorry. I didn't see that it was not you

Going off topic but responding: Only agree on the rear cargo capacity comment with the jump seats. Even with sacrificing a bit of space with them in, there's absolutely no way you could talk me into a GM (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Suburban) or Ford Product (Expedition, Navigator). I rent those frequently and can't wait to get back in the LX. We looked at the Range Rover but didn't think it felt big enough on the inside for our family and how we would use the truck. It's a beautiful and elegant vehicle, much more so than the LX to my eye - we were tempted but chose the LX instead.
I hear what you mean. I agree with you, and I have always liked the LX models from Lexus, we have had two LX models (still have one) in our lives and the satisfaction from them is pretty high, they could still be better. Same with my 4Runner. For some reason I was not aware that you own an LX570. The interior of the new LX is very nice, but the price has really gotten to be come astronomical. I do hope they make the next gen LX closer in size to the Armada and Toyota Sequoia.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 06:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

No offense, but with both your 4 Runnner and certainly your LX they’re too old to be an example of what living with a modern one would be like.
Old 08-26-18, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No offense, but with both your 4 Runnner and certainly your LX they’re too old to be an example of what living with a modern one would be like.
No offcne taken. Toyota has some of their highest retention and satisfaction rates among their body on frame vehicles. I don’t think the Tundra does as well. Most of these vehicle have followed the same formula for the last 30 years. Shild they are not the class leaders or best vehicles, there is just something special about them compared to the Toyota or Lexus cross overs. My experience is yes limited to older models, but my parents new 4Runner is definitely a very satisfying vehicle. Do they make very good daily drivers? Not really. Are they useful to have? Yes. I definitely think there is a market for a Lexus truck. A GX, 4Runner, LX and Land Cruiser are all truck based with good following whereas Range Rover, MB, BMW and Audi could never offer a full size domestic vehicle even if they tried.

I do think the next gen LX will be based off the Sequoia platform and will be built in the US for the USA and I would not rule out a delete of the body on frame design of the past. The current LX refresh look like they are trying hide it’s body on frame design. I think it will be more like a MB GL or RR. I could see a separation from the Land Cruiser design and relation.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-18 at 09:36 AM.