Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying used, which Lexus? ES, GS or LS? help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18 | 05:39 PM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you'd have to look at the cars to know that. If the issues with the 2009 LS460 weren't difficult to solve I'd get the LS460.
Ok I went to test drive a LS430... I'm sure it's an awesome car but I want something newer/more modern. I'm now looking at the LS460 or the GS350's... I remember some of the "issues" w/the newer yrs (control arms etc...) but wouldn't those things be fixed already on a 100k mile car?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not trying to spark a moral debate here. But why would you want to buy an expensive used car if you are trying to pay off some "serious" debt? Your better off just keeping the 6 series if you have it all paid off

As for what to get. ES350 is probably your least risky and most cost effective model. Maintenance will be less than a 430. I would say look at a new Camry as well.
Fair Q, one that I wrestle with too. Well, I'm a car guy. If it was all about dollar and cents, I would get a CrownVic and be done with it. But I like/appreciate the perks of a luxury car and it basically breaks down to cost/yr. As I stand now, I'll need to invest probably 3-6k (could be way higher, but for arguments sake lets be reasonable) to keep my 650 going for another 5yrs in which time my car will probably be worth next to nothing. Or I can buy a lexus for 10k, drive it 5yrs/70k miles and sell it for ??? 5, 6 or 7k? Total cost on Lex side seems less, not to mention risk of catastrophic failure (timing chain guides, vanos, already leaking oil engine etc...)

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Have to admit that is the oddest thing, the 7/90 on the timing belt. I have never owned a vehicle with one until the LS430. Not the end of the world, and it is what it is...but that Scotty Kilmer way of looking at things isn't for me (so boring and one-sided and sometimes flat out wrong--can't drive a BMW,Mercedes, Porsche, Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Toyota V8, it's like all roads lead back to the 94 Celica and Lexus ES. I like ChrisFix better
Belts aren't really mechanical, not sure how/why Toyota uses them ON AN INTERFERENCE ENGINE!?!?!?

LOL, I thought I was the only nerd who knew of Kilmer. What a strange dude; wears sun glasses (420?), squeeky voice and a face perfect for Radio. And yeah, I bet he favors his Celica, even over AirForce1. hehe

Chris Fix is the man! I painted my friends wheels black using his guide.

Please guys....no more unsolicited financial sermons.

ES is definitely the "least risky" Lexus, but its also the least impressive Lexus. Its all about tradeoffs.
Not a fan of FWD cars. I'm trying to stick w/RWD. Who doesn't like spinning up the rear every once in a while?

PS, LexsCTJill wrote 2 sentences, hardly a sermon. Johnhav430 on the other hand went FULL rant on a dealer,,, left a mark didn't it?

Thx everyone for your contributions, Cheers!
Old 08-25-18 | 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Ok I went to test drive a LS430... I'm sure it's an awesome car but I want something newer/more modern. I'm now looking at the LS460 or the GS350's... I remember some of the "issues" w/the newer yrs (control arms etc...) but wouldn't those things be fixed already on a 100k mile car?
Not surprised you feel that way, they're really from another era today.

The earlier years the problem areas are 1. Control arms. 2. Sticky dash materials (Lexus had a warranty on these which just elapsed). 3. Brake actuators (also was an extended warranty on these which is elapsed). Higher mileage 460s can use oil, but it doesn't seem to de detrimental.

The control arms aren't a big issue, its a job you can do yourself if you're handy, if not with aftermarket parts and an independent mechanic its about a $1,500 job. Sticky dash is rare, and typically an issue with southern cars. Brake actuator can be a pretty big repair. You'll be able to hear clicking/weird brake sounds when you drive one.

Fair Q, one that I wrestle with too. Well, I'm a car guy. If it was all about dollar and cents, I would get a CrownVic and be done with it. But I like/appreciate the perks of a luxury car and it basically breaks down to cost/yr. As I stand now, I'll need to invest probably 3-6k (could be way higher, but for arguments sake lets be reasonable) to keep my 650 going for another 5yrs in which time my car will probably be worth next to nothing. Or I can buy a lexus for 10k, drive it 5yrs/70k miles and sell it for ??? 5, 6 or 7k? Total cost on Lex side seems less, not to mention risk of catastrophic failure (timing chain guides, vanos, already leaking oil engine etc...)
You gotta live your life and enjoy your life also.

Belts aren't really mechanical, not sure how/why Toyota uses them ON AN INTERFERENCE ENGINE!?!?!?
They used belts because they're quieter and smoother.

PS, LexsCTJill wrote 2 sentences, hardly a sermon. Johnhav430 on the other hand went FULL rant on a dealer,,, left a mark didn't it?
Its a rollover from other threads, not just from this thread.
Old 08-25-18 | 05:48 PM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

A few pics. The 1st one got me a lot of love&hate on the Bimmer forums, what a bunch of pansies. :0
The 2nd and 3rd are self explanatory.

Old 08-25-18 | 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha
Old 08-25-18 | 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha

Yes.....crude but funny.
Old 08-25-18 | 07:52 PM
baconRx
Instructor

might as well just find yourself a truck or suv. if you're not going sporty at all and need to tow, trucks and SUVs are pretty comfortable.You also wouldn't have to rent a trailer if you got a truck.
Old 08-25-18 | 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aprilia

Not a fan of FWD cars. I'm trying to stick w/RWD. Who doesn't like spinning up the rear every once in a while?
Go with the GS350
Old 08-26-18 | 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would probably go with the GS too since you can get a younger one for the budget.
Old 08-26-18 | 08:15 AM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baconRx
might as well just find yourself a truck or suv. if you're not going sporty at all and need to tow, trucks and SUVs are pretty comfortable.You also wouldn't have to rent a trailer if you got a truck.
I don't tow often enough to justify driving a truck everyday. I've already bought a trailer and it's pretty useful. The only one I was considering was the Honda Ridgeline. A car based truck, but for a decent one you can get a sweet lexus GS/LS.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Go with the GS350
That's the wisest decision I think. I'm going for a test drive today, but then the little devil inside me says go for the LS. I did a search and it seems Curt hitches doesn't make one for the early LS460's. They make one for year 2012 and up.

Same thing happened with my bimmer. They made a hitch for the 05' model but not the 06'. Not a big deal, I just took it to a muffler shop and they cut&welded as necessary.

I did a search on this forum and found
this this
; they said it took 1hr to install? Hmm.? Another thread stated you need to remove the bumper etc,, a 3hr job and classified as "challenging".
Old 08-26-18 | 08:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I haven’t looked at used Lex prices but what type of GS can you get for $10k that is less than 10yrs old and hasn’t been abused?

That 650i is sweet and very rare with manual.
Get a Toyota SUV like 4runner and keep that for weekend.