Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 08:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I dont think there's any other rationale than pure profit margins. Is a base LX570 really worth $30k more than the GX460? Is a base LS really worth close to $30k more than a base GS? Is a base 7 series really worth $xxxxx over a base 5 series? It just comes down to what you are willing to pay and how much the automakers wants to charge.
I don't think it's purely profit. If we look at these vehicles as projects, they would have tons of constraints, and imho it is no more prestigious to work on a 570 than it is a 460. Marketing has a say. On the consumer side, the more disposable income one has, the more likely one can get the higher priced models. I think it was mentioned on one of the threads here, that the profit the vendor is making was not really a concern of theirs as far as the buy decision, which I believe to be true...meaning the way you are looking at it is like an economist, if marginal benefit > cost, then buy. If not, don't buy. But consumers do drive these more expensive vehicles...
Old 08-27-18, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
, and imho it is no more prestigious to work on a 570 than it is a 460.
A Tundra comes with both the 4.6 and 5.7 engines. It’s all the same thing.
Old 08-27-18, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Clearly people buy them, I'm not saying they're overpriced.

Its just rare for me to sit in a vehicle and really be surprised by what it costs...
Old 08-27-18, 09:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Its just rare for me to sit in a vehicle and really be surprised by what it costs...
I guess I am usually surprised lol When I test drove the new Chevy Tahoe as soon as it came out for the gift card, I was surprised that it cost $64k. What year was that, 2015? Meaning it was a Chevy, not even a GMC or Caddy, 64k seems like a lot even today for something like that. To me at least....but I am softening. I do realize that for 2019 tons of vehicles are now 6 figures.
Old 08-27-18, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Tahoe would be another one of the vehicles that I would be surprised by lol Its that whole class of vehicles.

$55k for a loaded Explorer I think its pretty spot on.
Old 08-27-18, 09:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That happens all the time with me especially when I sit in luxury cars and 911's.

If you don't tow anything or go off roading I just don't see any reason to get a expedition or any large SUV, aside from maybe a top of the line Navigator any Ford or GM big SUV is going to seem like a huge step down from your LS in almost every area.

Old 08-27-18, 09:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
That happens all the time with me especially when I sit in luxury cars and 911's.

If you don't tow anything or go off roading I just don't see any reason to get a expedition or any large SUV, aside from maybe a top of the line Navigator any Ford or GM big SUV is going to seem like a huge step down from your LS in almost every area.
The first time I felt we weren't in Kansas anymore, was at the launch of the 991 Porsche. My buddy and I attended and we sat in a 997 911 Turbo S, the sticker was 16x,xxx, which I totally could relate to. Fine. But the 991's that they were launching? Two things I remember about them. 1. Georgia license plates. 2? They were Carrera S', and stickered for over 140k. That delta between S and Turbo S seemed way too close for me, even thought the Turbo S was the previous gen....
Old 08-27-18, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Any thoughts. I like the space of the Expedition, but seeing that I don't tow anything I don't see how I could possibly justify a $24,000 premium...
Do you have to have the high-zoot Platinum version? You can save probably 20K or more by getting a low-line or entry-level version, which start in the low 50s. You'll get exactly the same amount of space inside (perhaps even margainally more space, since there's less equipment), and substantially higher-profile tires for a smoother ride. I know comfort is important to you, as it is with me.
Old 08-27-18, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

being surprised at what something costs happens for many here who only buy used anyway.
plus in the showroom one is looking at the laughable 'sticker'.
essentially we can blame EPA mandates for increases in car prices... electrification is going to cost everyone a BUNDLE.
Old 08-27-18, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't replace my LS with it, it would be a replacement for the Pacifica.

The issue is in order to get the kind of people and cargo volume you get in a minivan you have to go to a full sized SUV, crossovers don't cut it.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
being surprised at what something costs happens for many here who only buy used anyway.
plus in the showroom one is looking at the laughable 'sticker'.
essentially we can blame EPA mandates for increases in car prices... electrification is going to cost everyone a BUNDLE.
But I buy new! True, I don't know what sort of rebates and deals are available for them.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you have to have the high-zoot Platinum version? You can save probably 20K or more by getting a low-line or entry-level version, which start in the low 50s. You'll get exactly the same amount of space inside (perhaps even margainally more space, since there's less equipment), and substantially higher-profile tires for a smoother ride. I know comfort is important to you, as it is with me.
I like a lot of options and features on my cars. The Platinum doesn't cost a whole lot more than a well optioned Limited, and everything is standard on the Platinum. The Platinum also improves interior materials a lot which is important to me.

For instance a loaded Limited might be $70k, so the Platinum is only $3k more.
Old 08-27-18, 11:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't think it's purely profit. If we look at these vehicles as projects, they would have tons of constraints, and imho it is no more prestigious to work on a 570 than it is a 460. Marketing has a say. On the consumer side, the more disposable income one has, the more likely one can get the higher priced models. I think it was mentioned on one of the threads here, that the profit the vendor is making was not really a concern of theirs as far as the buy decision, which I believe to be true...meaning the way you are looking at it is like an economist, if marginal benefit > cost, then buy. If not, don't buy. But consumers do drive these more expensive vehicles...
....I'm confused....
Old 08-27-18, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

But I buy new! True, I don't know what sort of rebates and deals are available for them.
yes i wrote many, not all, and was going to explicitly exclude you but got lazy when posting... so my comment was about those who buy used anyway who are going to be 'shocked' at the price of any new vehicle.

but back to your impression of the cost of a full size suv vs. say the 'large-mid' like an explorer... i think the manufacturers have concluded the full sizers appeal more to the well off anyway so they a) get loaded up with more features / nicer trim, and b) are priced higher 'because they can'

an expedition is, i guess, to a lincoln navigator, what an toyota land cruiser is to a lexus lx570. and the land cruiser is still a BUNCH of money.
Old 08-27-18, 11:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can get massive discounts on the trucks that you wont on the crossover, no one would pay 24k more. Wait for the big blowout sales
Old 08-27-18, 11:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
....I'm confused....
going back to the GS vs. LS, GX vs. LX, 5 vs. 7, etc. It sounded like you were stating there is no difference with these vehicles, and that the price differential represented pure profit to the mfg.

imho there is a perceivable difference among these vehicles, and it's very real.

Whether the differences can be justified is totally up to the individual. Why does someone get a Suburban over a Tahoe, when the suburban barely has 4 cu. ft. more cargo space than a Traverse? Only an individual can decide if it's justified. How does someone get a X5M that has less usable space than a CR-V? They like it. So on and so forth...that's all I'm saying...
Old 08-27-18, 12:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Think of this....Oprah Winfrey has basically unlimited resources, yet she rides around in a Chevy Suburban. They're probably more comfortable to ride in than a LS. Now, you switch it up and go all out with a Navigator L, almost certainly nicer to ride around in than a LS.

Quick Reply: Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...