Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 12:15 PM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hi steve,

Did you consider mercedes 2016 GL 450 or 550, even GL63 AMG (reliability aside)? or the newer GLS... I bought my toyota sienna in 2013 due to the twins and now still going strong at 125,000 miles. No repair yet... Obviously boring car and not as luxurious. I am considering MB, but my wife probably will drive the van until it explodes!

Similar to you, not gonna tow anything.
Old 08-27-18, 12:50 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow no idea Expeditions cost that much. One of my coworker's and his wife has one among other vehicles but they are pretty busy with 2 kids, soccer, football etc... and he has a boat. It was very comfortable and roomy.
Old 08-27-18, 01:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Wow no idea Expeditions cost that much. One of my coworker's and his wife has one among other vehicles but they are pretty busy with 2 kids, soccer, football etc... and he has a boat. It was very comfortable and roomy.
I had a coworker back in the day who didn't stop there, she insisted upon an Excursion. Have to admit that when I moved into my house, her 1996 GMC Suburban was really handy, after multiple trips with it, I only needed to rent a 12' box truck, make two trips, and with 3 guys, finished my move lol traveled light back then.
Old 08-27-18, 01:29 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had a coworker back in the day who didn't stop there, she insisted upon an Excursion.
I had a friend a long time ago for whom the diesel Excursion was the absolute perfect vehicle. He and a bunch of other friends raced motorcycles almost every weekend, so they'd pile six or seven guys and all their crap inside, then pull a large (31' maybe?) race trailer with all the bikes, parts, tires, tools, etc. They were able to do a full caravan with just the one vehicle. Fully loaded, they got 9 mpg, which is actually pretty damn good all things considered. The V10 Excursion loaded similarly got 5 mpg at best.

It's admittedly a limited use case, but there's a reason 15-year-old Excursions still sell for the mid-teens with 150-250k miles on them.

Last edited by geko29; 08-27-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 01:40 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

going back to the GS vs. LS, GX vs. LX, 5 vs. 7, etc. It sounded like you were stating there is no difference with these vehicles, and that the price differential represented pure profit to the mfg.

imho there is a perceivable difference among these vehicles, and it's very real.

Whether the differences can be justified is totally up to the individual. Why does someone get a Suburban over a Tahoe, when the suburban barely has 4 cu. ft. more cargo space than a Traverse? Only an individual can decide if it's justified. How does someone get a X5M that has less usable space than a CR-V? They like it. So on and so forth...that's all I'm saying...
That's not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that there are no other real explanations for the higher pricing other than margins. Does it really cost over $30k to build an LX vs a GX? Obviously not and its to purely increase the profit margin by at least $15-$20k.
Old 08-27-18, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I had a friend a long time ago for whom the diesel Excursion was the absolute perfect vehicle. He and a bunch of other friends raced motorcycles almost every weekend, so they'd pile six or seven guys and all their crap inside, then pull a large (31' maybe?) race trailer with all the bikes, parts, tires, tools, etc. They were able to do a full caravan with just the one vehicle. Fully loaded, they got 9 mpg, which is actually pretty damn good all things considered. The V10 Excursion loaded similarly got 5 mpg at best.

It's admittedly a limited use case, but there's a reason 15-year-old Excursions still sell for the mid-teens with 150-250k miles on them.
Did you ever test-drive an Excursion? I did a review on one a number of years ago, before it was dropped. It was (arguably) the worst-handing street vehicle I've ever sampled. Its road manners bordered on frightening. It was just too heavy (7200 lbs. gas, 7600 lbs. turbodiesel) for the factory suspension and underpinnings. Even with proper tire PSIs, it felt like an out-of-control battleship on the interstate, jerked up/down and left/right over road bumps and imperfections, and, on braking, just before coming to a full stop, the whole front end would bob up and down like a yacht in heavy seas....you could watch it over the hood. Yes, it had the interior space of a school bus, if you wanted to carry things....but I don't think I could have ever owned one just based on the road manners alone.
Old 08-27-18, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That's not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that there are no other real explanations for the higher pricing other than margins. Does it really cost over $30k to build an LX vs a GX? Obviously not and its to purely increase the profit margin by at least $15-$20k.
Of course not. The 4.6 GX and 5.7 LX are used through the Land cruiser line up world wide alongside Tundra and Sequoia. It’s all Profit. An LX does not cost more to build.
Old 08-27-18, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Think of this....Oprah Winfrey has basically unlimited resources, yet she rides around in a Chevy Suburban. They're probably more comfortable to ride in than a LS.
a) she's not a small woman and so the suburban is no doubt more comfortable to ride in and get in and out of. b) it's easier to make a suburban bulletproof than an ls.
Old 08-27-18, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

So I went back today when I had a little more time and I took one for a quick test drive. They sold the Platinum I looked at, but they have several Limiteds. Funnily enough, the Limiteds were similar in price to the Platinums. All $75-78k, they have one Limited Max that was $81K.

Playing around with it more it wouldn't work for us. No room at all with the third row up, we wouldn't even be able to get our stroller/wagon in there. Would have to get the Max and thats too big. Oddly enough, the Explorer has more room with the third row up since the seats tip out of the back like a minivan.

I did take it for a quick spin (it had almost no gas) and liked the way it drove on the brief test drive, I drove a Navigator more extensively and its very similar (no surprise there).

Just an entirely ridiculous vehicle for our needs, both in size and expense.

As for being more comfortable than the LS, neither a Suburban or an Expedition ride anywhere as nice as the LS, but for getting in and out of regularly, carrying stuff and people they're no doubt a better fit.

Its just really hard to beat the practicality of a minivan...as much as I dislike it.

Originally Posted by aw001
hi steve,
Did you consider mercedes 2016 GL 450 or 550, even GL63 AMG (reliability aside)? or the newer GLS... I bought my toyota sienna in 2013 due to the twins and now still going strong at 125,000 miles. No repair yet... Obviously boring car and not as luxurious. I am considering MB, but my wife probably will drive the van until it explodes!.
I really don't want to spend that much money. I'd like to keep it no more than $60-65k. Has to be new, both because of my preference and also for tax purposes. I can take advance depreciation on a vehicle over 6,000 lbs GVWR, but it has to be new.
Old 08-27-18, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for being more comfortable than the LS, neither a Suburban or an Expedition ride anywhere as nice as the LS, but for getting in and out of regularly, carrying stuff and people they're no doubt a better fit.
I'd like to see Dodge or Chrysler do a full-size SUV on the Ram 1500 chassis, for more competition to the GM and Ford full-sized, truck-based SUVs. The Ram's superb ride comfort, noise control, and road manners (by pickup standards) would be the perfect starting point for it. From what I understand, this has been proposed more than once by marketers, but FCA management kept turning it down. Maybe (?) that will change with Marchionne now gone.

Its just really hard to beat the practicality of a minivan...as much as I dislike it.
You'll come around.

Old 08-27-18, 03:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you ever test-drive an Excursion? I did a review on one a number of years ago, before it was dropped. It was (arguably) the worst-handing street vehicle I've ever sampled. Its road manners bordered on frightening. It was just too heavy (7200 lbs. gas, 7600 lbs. turbodiesel) for the factory suspension and underpinnings. Even with proper tire PSIs, it felt like an out-of-control battleship on the interstate, jerked up/down and left/right over road bumps and imperfections, and, on braking, just before coming to a full stop, the whole front end would bob up and down like a yacht in heavy seas....you could watch it over the hood. Yes, it had the interior space of a school bus, if you wanted to carry things....but I don't think I could have ever owned one just based on the road manners alone.
Please feel free to suggest a better alternative for the use case where someone needs to transport 6 or 7 people and a bunch of luggage plus a 5+ ton trailer on a weekly basis, with a single vehicle.
Old 08-27-18, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Please feel free to suggest a better alternative for the use case where someone needs to transport 6 or 7 people and a bunch of luggage plus a 5+ ton trailer on a weekly basis, with a single vehicle.
Perhaps an Excursion with heavier-duty springs/shocks/brakes and maybe wheels/tires. That would, of course, take some money and after-fitting. Barring that, a RWD Suburban would come close...the RWD version is lighter and can carry a little more payload than the 4X4. It is also lighter than its more heavily-trimmed and equipped GMC and cadillac counterparts.

But back to the Excursion. Perhaps your experience in your friend's was better than mine.....I found the specific one I test-drove to be more or less like mounting a Suburban on a Chevy Cruze chassis. Even at low stop-and-go speeds, it was a vehicle you had to drive, literally on a knife's edge, every second, or it could get away from you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'll come around.

Haha, no. The minivan will never be more than a driving appliance for me. I'd much rather have a big SUV, but from a practicality standpoint a minivan is what we need right now...

I'd say look at a new Expedition Max. I really like the vehicle, drives great, if you don't need the third row tons of space in the regular Expedition, if you do then tons of space in the Max. 10,000 lb towing capacity.

I never drove an Expedition.
Old 08-27-18, 03:27 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

I really don't want to spend that much money. I'd like to keep it no more than $60-65k. Has to be new, both because of my preference and also for tax purposes. I can take advance depreciation on a vehicle over 6,000 lbs GVWR, but it has to be new.
Well-equipped (but not fully loaded) Q7s can be had in that price range, and the GVWR is 6,479 lbs. Cargo space is fairly limited with the 3rd row up (15 cuft), but quite generous with it down (38 cuft). Since we'll probably never use the 3rd row, that was a non-issue for us.
Old 08-27-18, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd say look at a new Expedition Max. I really like the vehicle, drives great, if you don't need the third row tons of space in the regular Expedition, if you do then tons of space in the Max. 10,000 lb towing capacity.

I never drove an Expedition.
Did you mean Excursion? Geko29 seemed to like the one his friend had, but the one I sampled (a gas model, not a turbodiesel) felt and drove like an overloaded school bus.

Quick Reply: Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...