Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 03:38 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd say look at a new Expedition Max. I really like the vehicle, drives great, if you don't need the third row tons of space in the regular Expedition, if you do then tons of space in the Max. 10,000 lb towing capacity.
Looks like it's actually 9,000. But gas mileage and powertrain longevity would be a major problem. I can't find real-world towing mpgs for the Expedition, but seeing reports on the lighter F150 of 7.5mpg towing a 4,000 lb trailer and 6.5 towing a 6,000 lb trailer. It would have to be abysmal (not to mention well beyond the rated capacity) with an 10-11,000 lb trailer on the heavier Expedition. Maybe 3.5-4 mpg? 9-10 tons total weight is a tall order for a petrol V6, even one with turbos. Also recall that this was 15 years ago, and the Expedition/Suburban were nowhere near as capable then as they are now.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean Excursion? Geko29 seemed to like the one his friend had, but the one I sampled (a gas model, not a turbodiesel) felt and drove like an overloaded school bus.
I didn't say I liked it, and there's zero chance I would ever buy one, then or now. But for his (admittedly unique) use case, it was literally the perfect vehicle.

Last edited by geko29; 08-27-18 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Well-equipped (but not fully loaded) Q7s can be had in that price range, and the GVWR is 6,479 lbs. Cargo space is fairly limited with the 3rd row up (15 cuft), but quite generous with it down (38 cuft). Since we'll probably never use the 3rd row, that was a non-issue for us.
Too small unfortunately. I love the Q7, and looked at one for myself instead of the LS but for the family vehicle the third row is too small (need to be able to put an adult back there) and too little room behind the third row. Same with the XC90, I like that a lot but its too small.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean Excursion? Geko29 seemed to like the one his friend had, but the one I sampled (a gas model, not a turbodiesel) felt and drove like an overloaded school bus.
Meant Excursion.

Looks like it's actually 9,000. But gas mileage and powertrain longevity would be a major problem. I can't find real-world towing mpgs for the Expedition, but seeing reports on the lighter F150 of 7.5mpg towing a 4,000 lb trailer and 6.5 towing a 6,000 lb trailer. It would have to be abysmal (not to mention well beyond the rated capacity) with an 10-11,000 lb trailer on the heavier Expedition. Maybe 3.5-4 mpg? 9-10 tons total weight is a tall order for a petrol V6, even one with turbos. Also recall that this was 15 years ago, and the Expedition/Suburban were nowhere near as capable then as they are now.
I don't know, the Ecoboost seems to be doing pretty well in the F150s. Pretty much anything towing a load that heavy is going to have abysmal mileage.
Old 08-27-18, 04:01 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Too small unfortunately. I love the Q7, and looked at one for myself instead of the LS but for the family vehicle the third row is too small (need to be able to put an adult back there) and too little room behind the third row. Same with the XC90, I like that a lot but its too small.
I hear you. Yeah unless you go massive, you won't find an SUV that has the space you need and is eligible for the accelerated depreciation. VW Atlas is reasonably priced and has a comfortable 3rd row (I can sit in it at 6'4", if the 2nd row is slid up just a tad). But 5,997 lb GVWR--Seriously?!?! GLE and GLS are the only other non-gigantor SUVs I've sat in that have acceptable 3rd rows, but of course they're $$$$. Chevy Traverse is 6,160 (similar Buick Enclave is 6,393), so that might be worth a look, and even the top High Country (or Avenir) trim would come in well under your budget. Have not sampled the seats or cargo area myself.

I don't know, the Ecoboost seems to be doing pretty well in the F150s. Pretty much anything towing a load that heavy is going to have abysmal mileage.
That was why he loved the diesel. Got 9 mpg on the highway, fully loaded and towing a massive trailer. Considering it got like 13mpg completely empty, that's a major accomplishment.
Old 08-27-18, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah the diesel would be perfect for that use.
Old 08-27-18, 04:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Have you considered a Durango? They’re not for me but the third row and the space behind the third row are pretty decent. Bigger than my Highlander back there, for sure.

Also consider your twins will soon be in booster seats, which are a piece of cake to move around. When we have visitors, I move the kids to the third row, which they love, and our guests can be comfortable in the second row.
Old 08-27-18, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i didn't read through the thread but ins some way this is similar to argument between midsize to full size luxury car, like between E class and S class. when you get to a more niche market where volume is generally less, each buyer will have to pay a higher premium, but it is also an indication of "yes i can". call it status or prestige or special need, but that just works for some people.

i can't comment on specific ford models. our GL550 has a 100k tag, which was also good 20k+ over the ML, but the added performance and luxury touches here and there make it all worth it to us. recently we got the GLE350 loaner for a week and honestly i couldn't wait to get the GL back
Old 08-27-18, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Have you considered a Durango? They’re not for me but the third row and the space behind the third row are pretty decent. Bigger than my Highlander back there, for sure.

The Durango would work, but no more Chryslers for me lol.

Also consider your twins will soon be in booster seats, which are a piece of cake to move around. When we have visitors, I move the kids to the third row, which they love, and our guests can be comfortable in the second row.
True, and we already do this. We went to to the beach this summer with my mother and we put them in the third row which was fine.
Old 08-27-18, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Durango is close, but not a true full-sizer. However, it uses the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, so Steve, having owned two JGCs, would probably be used to that platform.

no more Chryslers for me lol.
Based on what....problems with the Pacifica? Also, from your previous posts, you seem to have had mixed luck with the JGCs.
Old 08-27-18, 05:50 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

True, and we already do this. We went to to the beach this summer with my mother and we put them in the third row which was fine.
How frequent of an occurrence are things like this? Could you just get a right-sized SUV that meets your needs 350+ days/year, and rent a behemoth when you need the additional space?
Old 08-27-18, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Its just really hard to beat the practicality of a minivan...as much as I dislike it.
i honestly think there’s a market for a luxury minivan.

3rd row on Durango definitely better than Highlander, but for the SECOND row it's the other way around. The durango has the same second row room as the Jeep Grand Cherokee which ain't great and one reason I sold mine. I got sick of sliding my driver's seat forward to make room fkr second row passenger.
Old 08-27-18, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How frequent of an occurrence are things like this? Could you just get a right-sized SUV that meets your needs 350+ days/year, and rent a behemoth when you need the additional space?
It isn’t a super common occurrence, but it’s unpredictable. We like to be able to all get in the van and go out to dinner, etc.
Old 08-27-18, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

We like to be able to all get in the van and go out to dinner, etc.
Dunno why but the Flintstones theme came into my head after reading that

... Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones. They're a modern Stone Age family, ,,,

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-27-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 10:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I wouldn't replace my LS with it, it would be a replacement for the Pacifica.

The issue is in order to get the kind of people and cargo volume you get in a minivan you have to go to a full sized SUV, crossovers don't cut it.

I would just get a new mini van then, they have tons of room and utility, get decent gas mileage, drive more like cars, etc. Some of the new mini vans are pretty nice. Have you tried a Acura MDX, it is a 7 seater, sporty, pretty quick.

Old 08-28-18, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again take a close look at a brand new Suburban classed vehicle, and it is significantly smaller than the vehicle it replaced, on the inside, as far as cargo goes. The < 2015 had removable 3rd row seats. Before purchasing something like that, it would be advisable to park one right next to a minivan, and be sure the shoe fits, meaning the reduced cargo capacity vs. the minivan. The brand new Suburban, has about 4 cu. ft. more than the original Traverse, which is a crossover. A brand new Tahoe class, has significantly less cargo capacity than an original Traverse.
Old 08-28-18, 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

one thing to note is the expedition/navigator have IRS not solid rear axles like suburban/tahoe/yukon/ecsalades have. Interior space and ride quality improves when going IRS

Quick Reply: Justifying the cost of full sized SUVs...