Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Ford Mustang could have AWD option on new chassis architecture

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 01:10 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Next Ford Mustang could have AWD option on new chassis architecture

https://www.leftlanenews.com/next-ge...-with-awd.html

They had better not screw this up. Actually it kind of reminds me of when they went to the Fox Body platform in 1979. Back then they were radically nothing like Mustangs of 1964-1973. A worst case scenario would be that this is more like when Ford wanted the Mazda co-designed MX6/Probe platform to underpin the new Mustang. People revolted and Ford kept the Fox around while selling the Probe separately.

This time around I'm not sure the Mustang community would be nearly as vocal about it to prevent the current RWD-only platform from being phased out.

Anyway, why does a Mustang NEED all wheel drive? It's not that kind of car at all. All these poor decisions under Hackett are not boding well for the future.
Old 08-29-18, 05:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

When a CAR company declares they will stop selling CARS - I imagine things can only go bad from there.

I’m sure their Trucks and SUVs will be where all the $$$$$ goes.
Very little investment in the Mustang from what i see.

Original plan was to have a new RWD platform to make it smaller, lighter to better compete with Camaro which has superior chassis but that was scraped.
Old 08-29-18, 10:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This move pushed the seventh-generation Mustang back a year to 2021. Not a big deal IMO, especially if you add an AWD variant among the other slated variants 2.3T, 5.0, Hybrid etc... Dodge did it with the Challenger, Chevy will follow suit if the Mustang does get it.
Old 08-29-18, 05:56 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they do it, they better offer the 5.0 with it.
Not like the challenger, where you can only get the V6
Old 08-29-18, 06:04 PM
KahnBB6

It's just not part of what makes a Mustang a "Mustang". It's a RWD muscle coupe. I know Dodge added AWD to the Challenger and that's because the core chassis architecture was designed for it already (Charger, 300C) but it still didn't make sense for the challenger to deviate from rear-drive. The Mustang and Camaro are the same. It's just not needed on these kinds of cars when you have modern traction control and winter tires.

The engine variants for today's Mustangs that aren't V8's don't bother me though. I figure a hybrid version is inevitable (although I hope given the volume Ford offers any standardized hybrid Mustang line with manuals since Honda's CR-Z 6MT at least showed how to do that in principle). But AWD or even possibly not having a longitudinally mounted engine and drive-train... those things would alienate both hardcore and mainstream fans of this muscle car. I'm not expecting that Ford would attempt to turn the Mustang into the equivalent of a Skyline R33 GT-R (rear-biased part-time AWD with longitudinal engine). That would be too extreme and expensive combined with the move to this new platform.

I see electrified Mustangs as being inevitable eventually but the core philosophy of what the Mustang is, how it is laid out and how it drives are concepts and impressions that have to stay with this car to keep its soul alive.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-30-18 at 11:23 PM. Reason: grammatical fix
Old 08-30-18, 08:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This sounds like a move so they can also give Lincoln a RWD car platform for sedans and offer them with AWD to share costs.
Old 08-30-18, 08:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Agreed, AWD is not making a whole lot of sense from a car enthusiast's perspective, but it will likely be a hit for sales, just like adding a 4 cyl. back in and keeping the price in check...V8 only but those in favor are in the minority
Old 08-30-18, 12:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
This sounds like a move so they can also give Lincoln a RWD car platform for sedans and offer them with AWD to share costs.
^ This is the most logical thing I've heard so far. I mean even the new Aviator is RWD-based, which signals to me that Lincoln values having a RWD platform.

If nothing else the shift to AWD might prevent a few possible post-Cars and Coffee incidents.
Old 08-30-18, 11:32 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by arentz07
^ This is the most logical thing I've heard so far. I mean even the new Aviator is RWD-based, which signals to me that Lincoln values having a RWD platform.
^^ I agree with this as a probable reason too. Lincoln badly needs a new RWD architecture. However even if the new platform underpinning the next Mustang and some Lincolns is capable of AWD... it would be a simple decision to reserve AWD for the other models using this platform and not the Mustang. Reducing overall costs by reducing the overall number of chassis platforms that an automaker has to support I can understand but the shared chassis architecture has to conform to the soul of what a particular model using it truly represents.

Lincoln can and should have their own RWD/AWD luxury coupe. All the other luxury brands are doing it. But the Ford Mustang isn't an AWD car.

Old 08-31-18, 10:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If nothing else the shift to AWD might prevent a few possible post-Cars and Coffee incidents.
I think if they do the next Continental on RWD platform which they can share with a the new Mustang and give it a similar interior/quality as the Navigator it is going to be a hit. For a FWD based car I think it looks pretty good now. They can also do a RWD Mark 7 or 8 coupe for Lincoln.

You can still get in trouble with powerful AWD cars too when trying to show off. I think we would still see some fantastic Mustang wrecks leaving Cars and Coffee even with AWD.
Old 08-31-18, 11:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think if they do the next Continental on RWD platform which they can share with a the new Mustang and give it a similar interior/quality as the Navigator it is going to be a hit. For a FWD based car I think it looks pretty good now. They can also do a RWD Mark 7 or 8 coupe for Lincoln.

You can still get in trouble with powerful AWD cars too when trying to show off. I think we would still see some fantastic Mustang wrecks leaving Cars and Coffee even with AWD.
That's true. Most cars with AWD are tuned such that they will pretty much understeer off a cliff before they spin, but seeing as how it's the Mustang, it might even have a Drift Mode like the Focus RS. So, there's no saving people from themselves.
Old 08-31-18, 01:49 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah it was initially reported that the Aviator will be on the Mustang platform. But given this news, I think it's actually the other way around. They built this new RWD-based AWD platform for the Explorer/Aviator and perhaps the Continental, and are putting the Mustang on it also, to save development and production costs.