Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What happens to senior drivers (or should)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here you are.

IMO there is no excuse for something like this. That driver should lose his or her license for at least six months....perhaps a year.
Lets see, attempted vehicular manslaughter. 6 months? A year? He should loose his license for good.
Old 08-31-18, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lets see, attempted vehicular manslaughter. 6 months? A year? He should loose his license for good.
Well, I don't entirely disagree with you...it's indeed a serious offense. But even the worst criminals can (sometimes) be rehabilitated. And vehicular manslaughter, in prison, rarely carries a life sentence....5-20 is the general range, probably less with parole.
Old 09-01-18, 10:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Well, I don't entirely disagree with you...it's indeed a serious offense. But even the worst criminals can (sometimes) be rehabilitated. And vehicular manslaughter, in prison, rarely carries a life sentence....5-20 is the general range, probably less with parole.
Right, but we're not talking about lifetime incarceration here, although I'd argue at least some jail time would be warranted. What Steve was taking umbrage with was the suggestion of a license suspension being limited to 6-12 months. I agree with him--this incident warrants a very long suspension at a minimum, but more likely revocation.
Old 09-01-18, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Right, but we're not talking about lifetime incarceration here, although I'd argue at least some jail time would be warranted. What Steve was taking umbrage with was the suggestion of a license suspension being limited to 6-12 months. I agree with him--this incident warrants a very long suspension at a minimum, but more likely revocation.
I wasn't necessarily refering to just 6-12 months as something cast in stone....obviously it deserves more than just a slap on the wrist. But I'm not sure that a lifetime suspension is warranted, particularly if that person comes to his or her senses and realizes that they could have killed someone.
Old 09-01-18, 11:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
And what is your definition of 'older'? Because I was stuck behind an old retiree yesterday going 35 in a 55 on a 4 lane highway (2 in each direction) and that is just as dangerous as the teenage driver going 75 in the 55
SPEED KILLS, a proven fact.
Old 09-01-18, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wasn't necessarily refering to just 6-12 months as something cast in stone....obviously it deserves more than just a slap on the wrist. But I'm not sure that a lifetime suspension is warranted, particularly if that person comes to his or her senses and realizes that they could have killed someone.
You are a very confusing person Mike lol
Old 09-01-18, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You are a very confusing person Mike lol
No problem. Take a few courses in automotive science, and you'll keep up.
Old 09-01-18, 10:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No problem. Take a few courses in automotive science, and you'll keep up.
If that field existed I might just do that.
Old 09-02-18, 03:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If that field existed I might just do that.

Not meant to be an insult or personal barb.....just kidding with you.
Old 09-02-18, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Though I wish I can drive for the rest of my life, autonomous vehicles will be a blessing ten years from now and beyond to alleviate the risks that come with human sensory and reflex loss with age.
Old 09-02-18, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not meant to be an insult or personal barb.....just kidding with you.
I know lol, no worries
Old 09-02-18, 07:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite frankly its not just old people that are terrible drivers, most drivers on the road are entitled a-holes. Driving and parking should become tenfold more expensive, licensing much more vigorous, and fines for breaking rules much more strict and expensive, so that people drive only when absolutely necessary. Eliminate at least 90% of private cars (preferably 100% in the states of MD and NJ ), improve mass transit and get rid of the car centric culture in our society.
Old 09-02-18, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Quite frankly its not just old people that are terrible drivers, most drivers on the road are entitled a-holes. Driving and parking should become tenfold more expensive, licensing much more vigorous, and fines for breaking rules much more strict and expensive, so that people drive only when absolutely necessary. Eliminate at least 90% of private cars (preferably 100% in the states of MD and NJ ), improve mass transit and get rid of the car centric culture in our society.
So we all become like the Amish?

improve mass transit
I do agree, however, that mass transit could be improved.....in some cases, vastly. The way that the Washington, D.C. Metro subway system has been staffed and run, for decades, is not only incompetent but IMO has bordered on criminal. I've never seen a more poorly-planned or worse-run organization in my life.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-18 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 08:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So we all become like the Amish?

I do agree, however, that mass transit could be improved. The way that the Washington, DC Metro subway system has been staffed and run, for decades, has bordered on criminal. I've never seen a worse-run organization in my life.
Not like amish of course, but by improving mass transit. But to properly improve mass transit, majority of private cars need to be eliminated from the roads.
Old 09-02-18, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not like amish of course, but by improving mass transit. But to properly improve mass transit, majority of private cars need to be eliminated from the roads.

Can't speak for the NYC system where you're at, but improving the D.C. Metro transit system will take a lot more than just getting cars of the roads. It is a long-established culture of incompetence, indifference, carelessness, and corruption from top to bottom. The current Metro chief, Paul Wiedefeld, is arguably the first truly honest one that the system has had since Carmen Turner, back in the 1980s.....but he's trying to repair a long-established mess and pattern of deterioration.

Quick Reply: What happens to senior drivers (or should)