Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 may not get a manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 11:16 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts
Default 2020 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 may not get a manual

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-m...anu-1828716066

Considering the kind of extravagant fun indulgence muscle car that this thing is... a rather dumb decision to not continue to offer a manual alongside the first automatic in a GT500.

This is especially since Tremec's own T-56 Magnum 6-speed manual box is officially rated at a minimum 700 ft-lbs of constant torque. And that design is basically a TR-6060 with no integrated bellhousing and multiple shifter mounting locations as opposed to Ford's OEM version of the same gearbox. The rumored DCT for the 2020 model is listed in the article as having a lower official torque rating.

This car isn't anything like a 911 GT3... and even 911 GT3's still have a manual option by popular demand. The GT500 is an impractical and expensive hooning car that caters to all the most popular anachronisms that characterize detroit muscle cars. A manual transmission is part of that top-spec Mustang formula at least until a gasoline engine no longer has any connection at all to a driveshaft.
Old 08-31-18, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
This car isn't anything like a 911 GT3... and even 911 GT3's still have a manual option by popular demand. The GT500 is an impractical and expensive hooning car that caters to all the most popular anachronisms that characterize detroit muscle cars. A manual transmission is part of that top-spec Mustang formula at least until a gasoline engine no longer has any connection at all to a driveshaft.
And a GT2 isn't an expensive hooning car??
Old 08-31-18, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My view is to stop complaining. With all of the vehicles Ford has announced the axing of in the American market, we're lucky to still have the Mustang, period.
Old 08-31-18, 10:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

So what if it doesn't have a manual, as long as it has Apple CarPlay and pinkie light steering, it's already a winner.
Old 08-31-18, 01:01 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And a GT2 isn't an expensive hooning car??
Of course it is But if you're referring to its lack of a manual gearbox in the current generation I can only see that justified as being excluded if this model is solely targeted at track racing where a manual will cost you the best possible lap times. Perhaps it is. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be more fun it it had a manual. Still, Porsche offers several other 911 variants with manuals including their GT3 non-RS.

I would apply the same argument to the Mustang lineup having several trims available with a manual but... the GT500 isn't really intended as a direct competition car but rather as a whimsical performance car. Hence why I feel that if there isn't a manual, especially when suitable one with plenty of torque holding capacity already exists for this platform that has already been used in prior GT500's, it's a bit of an odd decision on Ford's part. Not unlike the company's decision to kill off all of its passenger cars except for the Mustang.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My view is to stop complaining. With all of the vehicles Ford has announced the axing of in the American market, we're lucky to still have the Mustang, period.
This is a growing trend, sadly. An inevitable one eventually for sure but at this moment in time there isn't a good technical reason why manuals should be phased out in models that clearly are designed, intended and marketed with driver involvement as a key feature.

Ford's larger decision to kill every car except the Mustang is definitely a perplexing if annoying one. Their suggestion of an AWD Mustang in the next generation does not immediately make me think current management are even interested in retaining what the soul of this model is about even if it does need to share a platform with some other premium models in order to stay in production.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So what if it doesn't have a manual, as long as it has Apple CarPlay and pinkie light steering, it's already a winner.
You can get Apple Carplay and finger-light power steering on any other car made today (if it doesn't come with Apple Carplay this can be added with an aftermarket head unit). Manual transmission availability in cars with very powerful engines are in shorter supply today for those who are interested.
Old 08-31-18, 01:05 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Of course it is But if you're referring to its lack of a manual gearbox in the current generation I can only see that justified as being excluded if this model is solely targeted at track racing where a manual will cost you the best possible lap times. Perhaps it is. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be more fun it it had a manual. Still, Porsche offers several other 911 variants with manuals including their GT3 non-RS.

I would apply the same argument to the Mustang lineup having several trims available with a manual but... the GT500 isn't really intended as a direct competition car but rather as a whimsical performance car. Hence why I feel that if there isn't a manual, especially when suitable one with plenty of torque holding capacity already exists for this platform that has already been used in prior GT500's, it's a bit of an odd decision on Ford's part. Not unlike the company's decision to kill off all of its passenger cars except for the Mustang.

This is a growing trend, sadly. An inevitable one eventually for sure but at this moment in time there isn't a good technical reason why manuals should be phased out in models that clearly are designed, intended and marketed with driver involvement as a key feature.

Ford's larger decision to kill every car except the Mustang is definitely a perplexing if annoying one. Their suggestion of an AWD Mustang in the next generation does not immediately make me think current management are even interested in retaining what the soul of this model is about even if it does need to share a platform with some other premium models in order to stay in production.

You can get Apple Carplay and finger-light power steering on any other car made today (if it doesn't come with Apple Carplay this can be added with an aftermarket head unit). Manual transmission availability in cars with very powerful engines are in shorter supply today for those who are interested.
Believe me, I will always get a 3rd pedal when possible, at least as far as I can see into the future. Until 2011, my wife never had a car with an auto, and our household consisted of 2 sticks. But this is the USA, not the entire world, that thinks 3rd pedals are lame.
Old 08-31-18, 09:07 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Believe me, I will always get a 3rd pedal when possible, at least as far as I can see into the future. Until 2011, my wife never had a car with an auto, and our household consisted of 2 sticks. But this is the USA, not the entire world, that thinks 3rd pedals are lame.
Sadly you're not wrong :/ Surprisingly even when it comes to the specialty performance cars.

Although to be fair to people interested in this car, Ford is the one making the (possible) decision to go auto-only. GT500's have only ever been available with a manual transmission so anything they are basing sales projection numbers on for this specific low volume model can't be due to a lack of manual take rates.

I mean, if this were going to become a hybrid-electric muscle car I could understand (although even then it still could technically be done) but so far as we know... it isn't.

Likely they're changing the focus of this model slightly in an effort to squeeze more sales numbers from an already super low volume specialty car.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-31-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 06:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

This news if true will help the value of GT350R.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see another V8 from Ford.
Company is a joke at this point.
Old 09-01-18, 08:18 PM
KahnBB6

^^ It likely will help the value of the GT350 and GT350R. Those models not having a manual would make even less sense than the GT500 not having one. As long as they are currently powered by gas engines anyway.

I don't think Ford will stop producing V8's for these high level performance trims any time soon. Eventually though I do expect a V6TT and would expect it to be awesome, actually. Ford has poured tremendous R&D money into their turbo engine technology in recent years. A turbo V6 would be very different in feel from the GT350's flat plane crank V8 but they could easily make a track-focused turbo Shelby Mustang.
Old 09-01-18, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Don't forget the amazing bullitt version has a stick (only, i think).
Old 09-02-18, 05:27 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I personally love the looks and sound of GT350. Im still contemplating on trading the BRZ for it.
The fact its a Ford with misaligned body panels and crap interior gives me pause. The build quality on these cars is horrible for a $60k car.

My father had a 1990 Taurus which was by FAR the single worst car we ever owned.

I would be shocked if Ford produced a follow up to the 5.0 motor - just probably updates here and there.
Lots of the new ones with Direct Injection are dying and need to be replaced - goes back to build quality.
Old 09-03-18, 08:40 PM
KahnBB6

The 80's and early 90's era Tauruses are a world of difference in quality from the newer Fords, but no argument on misaligned body panels for a 2018+ Mustang. I wouldn't expect it to be as perfect as a Mercedes but certainly nothing could be worse than the poor panel alignment on many Teslas (which don't even compare in this argument other than with panel gaps/alignment).

Are the 5.0 Coyote V8's having carbon buildup issues from their DI systems? If so, Ford could solve this by implementing a combination port and direct injection design. Seems to work for Toyota/Lexus and other automakers that have taken this approach.

The GT350 is a brilliant sports car. It may be based on a muscle car chassis but it's so well gone through as a track machine. It would be a worthy big step up from your already excellent BRZ.
Old 09-04-18, 12:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the new 5.0 has both DI/PI

lots of the new 5.0 are dying? Not getting that vibe on the mustang forums (M6G.com)

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-04-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-04-18, 08:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the new 5.0 has both DI/PI

lots of the new 5.0 are dying? Not getting that vibe on the mustang forums (M6G.com)
Here you go - just a few:
1st link is 62 PAGES so it’s definitely a topic on the forums lol.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...rocess.102509/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...inders.109285/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...e-that.104595/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...ailure.101416/

Bunch of youtube videos that cover this issue with Ford giving them new cars. Apparently there was a bad batch of engines.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-04-18 at 08:52 PM.