Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They laid off huge numbers of employees, for one thing, which contributed to the double-digit unemployment numbers of the early Obama years, before those numbers began to improve. Partly under Obama and partly under Trump, unemployment is much lower now.
You have to make business decisions like that to survive.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My friend what has Ford done that gives you such confidence.
I'm hardly saying that Ford is the best run auto company in the industry, I'm just saying that out of the US Automakers, they're the best run one. I don't agree with the decision to end ALL car sales in the US, but I will stand by my statement that Ford isn't going anywhere.
Old 09-03-18, 07:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm hardly saying that Ford is the best run auto company in the industry, I'm just saying that out of the US Automakers, they're the best run one. I don't agree with the decision to end ALL car sales in the US, but I will stand by my statement that Ford isn't going anywhere.
They were run well and stayed alive du to the small car portfolio that they had during the recession.
Fiesta, Focus and Fusion were some of their best cars ever and truly competitive on a world scale. This sparked a small turnaround. So what does Ford do? They milk the product and profits without any reinvestment. Its always easy just to give up........
Old 09-03-18, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

So what does Ford do? They milk the product and profits without any reinvestment. Its always easy just to give up........
They have reinvested. They are being built in other parts of the world aside front the US. The goal was to import the smaller cars into the US but Trump has derailed that with tariffs. Issue now is that the Trump supporters magically think that because of the tariffs, Ford is all of a sudden going to start making new plants and build these cars in the US. It is not going to happen
Old 09-03-18, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like it or not, small cars are just not what consumers want, they want small crossovers, which Ford is developing and already has.
Old 09-03-18, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Like it or not, small cars are just not what consumers want, they want small crossovers, which Ford is developing and already has.
I think most manufacturers import their small cars from other parts of the world. Ford building their small cars in the US puts them at an incredible disadvantage from a competitive point of view
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I think most manufacturers import their small cars from other parts of the world. Ford building their small cars in the US puts them at an incredible disadvantage from a competitive point of view
They do, they have to to make them financially feasible.
Old 09-03-18, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Production cannot just be moved overnight. There’s a timeline and a huge cost. It’s a lot to go through and by the time they move it the next presidential vote will be coming. If I were them, I’d cancel my plans to import the car then wait to see what the next presidential election brings.
Old 09-03-18, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Production cannot just be moved overnight. There’s a timeline and a huge cost. It’s a lot to go through and by the time they move it the next presidential vote will be coming. If I were them, I’d cancel my plans to import the car then wait to see what the next presidential election brings.
Well, even short of 2020, if the Democrats make enough gains in Congress this fall (and maybe get some Republican support), they could roll back the tariffs, though it would take two thirds of both houses to overcome a Trump veto. I personally wouldn't want to see that, as I think that, right now, the tariffs, overall, do more good than harm. But it is a definite possibility.
Old 09-03-18, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I personally wouldn't want to see that, as I think that, right now, the tariffs, overall, do more good than harm. .
Strictly related to only auto production and cars. How has Trumps tariffs provided more good than harm? Choices decreasing are never good.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-03-18 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Strictly related to only auto production and cars. How has Trumps tariffs provided more good than harm? Choices decreasing are never good.
The economy, right now, overall, is the best it has been for probably 20 years....and, in numerous areas, keeps improving. Conditions in the Rust Belt and the coal industry are still less than ideal, but are improving noticeably. The stock market is at record highs (though it may not stay that way much longer for Tesla and Ford) and unemployment is at the lowest level in decades. You, me, and several others in Car Chat have argued back and forth, over many posts, whether the tariffs will force cancellation of certain vehicles here in the American market, or whether auto companies will see the light, give up on trying to produce them cheaper overseas, and simply turn to American labor again, and sell them here for whatever profit they can get. Time will tell who is correct and who isn't (and none of us have a crystal ball), but I am still of the opinion that demand for certain vehicles here in the U.S., combined with tariffs on those produced overseas, will force some return to the U.S. of at least some of the plants and labor. Is that prediction set in stone? No...but I think that common sense on the part of corporate marketers will eventually prevail, and this current obsession with cheap production overseas will stop.
Old 09-03-18, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But the point of this whole thread is right here is a car model that is cancelled in the US because of the tariffs. So we don't have to wonder anymore if automakers might cancel some models, clearly they are and will.
Old 09-03-18, 04:14 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

The economy, right now, overall, is the best it has been for probably 20 years....and, in numerous areas, keeps improving. Conditions in the Rust Belt and the coal industry are still less than ideal, but are improving noticeably. The stock market is at record highs (though it may not stay that way much longer for Tesla and Ford) and unemployment is at the lowest level in decades. You, me, and several others in Car Chat have argued back and forth, over many posts, whether the tariffs will force cancellation of certain vehicles here in the American market, or whether auto companies will see the light, give up on trying to produce them cheaper overseas, and simply turn to American labor again, and sell them here for whatever profit they can get. Time will tell who is correct and who isn't (and none of us have a crystal ball), but I am still of the opinion that demand for certain vehicles here in the U.S., combined with tariffs on those produced overseas, will force some return to the U.S. of at least some of the plants and labor. Is that prediction set in stone? No...but I think that common sense on the part of corporate marketers will eventually prevail, and this current obsession with cheap production overseas will stop.
There are obviously aspects of the economy that are doing well. It's hard to escape the conclusion, however, that gains in the economy are broadly limited to those of us who were already wealthy, are higher earners and/or who have investments in the markets and/or real estate. Real wages for many have broadly the same buying power as they did in the late 1970s, and there was a reasonable amount of press coverage given to a recent story that a significant number of people would not be able to find sufficient free cash to pay for an unexpected $400 expense.

I don't disagree that by many measures the economy is continuing to do well, and and I don't disagree that a lot of average working families will tell you the same. The thing those average working families are missing, however, is that the vast majority of the current economic benefits aren't for them - they are laser-focused to the already wealthy. There's a significant number of people in this country who hear things so often they think it's true for everyone. Simple fact is if you make your living from a job where your wage is one of those usually expressed as an hourly rate then you're treading water at best.
Old 09-03-18, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Simple fact is if you make your living from a job where your wage is one of those usually expressed as an hourly rate then you're treading water at best.
True, but the water level in the pool is steadily dropping. It's easier to keep one's head up.
Old 09-03-18, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True, but the water level in the pool is steadily dropping. It's easier to keep one's head up.
Actually the water level in the pool is steadily RISING. Cost of living is going up, not down.

And the depth of water has no bearing on how easy or hard it is to tread water, the only thing that makes it easier is if its shallow enough you can stand.

So your turn of phrase just doesn't make sense on any level.
Old 09-03-18, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Actually the water level in the pool is steadily RISING. Cost of living is going up, not down.

And the depth of water has no bearing on how easy or hard it is to tread water, the only thing that makes it easier is if its shallow enough you can stand.

So your turn of phrase just doesn't make sense on any level.
Disagree. It's true that you and I are better off than many others, but wages for the working-class are finally showing some growth after many years of being stagnant, and inflation, for the most part, is being held in check. Gas prices are also starting to drop after their normal summer-driving-season peaks.

Quick Reply: Ford cancels Focus Active import plans due to China tariffs