Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving gently pays off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 09:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Just plain Dumb Luck, no miracle here. I think we've all done something stupid like that before.
Old 09-02-18, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Just plain Dumb Luck, no miracle here. I think we've all done something stupid like that before.
Like I said, dumb luck has its limits.....and some cases cannot be explained by it.
Old 09-02-18, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Wait until you and your brother get a few years older. You'll need "miracles " all of the time to help remember where you put things and what you did yesterday.

Not necessarily. We both eat diets that are health and brain friendly....fish, seafood, fruits/nuts/vegtables, etc.....
Old 09-02-18, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
When did friction became a miracle?
Since when did the smooth clearcoat paint on a roof become conducive to friction?
Old 09-02-18, 09:32 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said, dumb luck has its limits.....and some cases cannot be explained by it.
Well, this isn't one of them. It's simply the coefficient of friction of the materials on top of the roof wasn't overcome by the forces that acted upon the materials while accelerating / braking / turning. Hardly a miracle
Old 09-02-18, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, this isn't one of them. It's simply the coefficient of friction of the materials on top of the roof wasn't overcome by the forces that acted upon the materials while accelerating / braking / turning. Hardly a miracle
Perhaps..perhaps not. But I'd bet that not many drivers could have done that without losing the fob....or having some non-scientific help.

I'm not saying that it WAS a miracle...only that, in some cases, I believe in them.
Old 09-02-18, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't get why some of you on here are so hard on the OP. Shared an interesting story. Miracle or luck. Whatevs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-02-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 11:22 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I agree with op. If my mother taught me anything, its to always do things with touch of gentleness.
very true, you can't troll your way to over 500 replies when starting a new thread if you're not gentle about it otherwise it becomes too obvious and people will lose interest
Old 09-02-18, 11:36 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

hmmm.. I don't believe this story.

a Kia nor any other brand with keyless push button start will not start, if the key is not INSIDE the car...

Owning a Genesis (same company as Kia) I just verified that mine will not start with the key on the roof: anywhere on the roof. it won't even start if I hold the fob out the window, nor will it start with the key in the trunk,

and I know for damn sure my RCF would not either, because I typically keep my fob in my left pocket, and there are times when I get into the car that my left leg is still outside the door and the RCF, Genesis, and wife's Toyota not start, all say "key not found".

With both the RCF and Genesis there have been times when I was fully in the car and I got "key not found" because the fob was in one of my cargo pockets and was down too low for the ignition array to pick it up.

Sorry I don't buy it.
Old 09-02-18, 11:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

a Kia nor any other brand with keyless push button start will not start, if the key is not INSIDE the car...

Owning a Genesis (same company as Kia) I just verified that mine will not start with the key on the roof: anywhere on the roof. it won't even start if I hold the fob out the window, nor will it start with the key in the trunk,

and I know for damn sure my RCF would not either, because I typically keep my fob in my left pocket, and there are times when I get into the car that my left leg is still outside the door and the RCF, Genesis, and wife's Toyota not start, all say "key not found".

With both the RCF and Genesis there have been times when I was fully in the car and I got "key not found" because the fob was in one of my cargo pockets and was down too low for the ignition array to pick it up.

Sorry I don't buy it.
I think it depends on the car. I just went out and tried it on both of our cars. The BMW wouldn't start with the fob on the roof, but the Audi did.
Old 09-02-18, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it depends on the car. I just went out and tried it on both of our cars. The BMW wouldn't start with the fob on the roof, but the Audi did.
Thanks for checking
Old 09-02-18, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds

Sorry I don't buy it.
OK...my brother's a liar.
Old 09-02-18, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusCTJill
Thanks for checking

Agreed. Thanks for checking. Shows that even though they are both German makes, they might have different electronics in them, though many German components typically come from Bosch.
Old 09-02-18, 02:04 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Wether somebody believes this or not I am not ready to call mmarshall a lier. If he said it, he believes it therefore it is true, to/for him. (He?)
MD
Old 09-02-18, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Wether somebody believes this or not I am not ready to call mmarshall a lier. If he said it, he believes it therefore it is true, to/for him. (He?)
MD
Yes, I'm a male. Thank you for your words of reason. And it's not my word...it's my brother's. My brother is indeed trustworthy. He has a security clearance, and works at a high-tech firm handling many sensitive government contracts. I would not have wasted time and my computer keyboard opening this thread (nor everyone else's time here reading it) if I did not have confidence in what he told me. I have not caught him in a lie yet.

Quick Reply: Driving gently pays off