Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

12k mile update 2017 Chrysler Pacifica...some good...some bad...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 06:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

If they do the buyback, what would you replace it with?
Old 09-04-18, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If they do the buyback, what would you replace it with?
An Odyssey for sure. I would only do the Sienna if I had to absorb negative equity by trading out of the Pacifica early.
Old 09-04-18, 06:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Good call I'd just suggest Touring trim or up to get the 10 speed vs the old 9 speed. If you want my list of complaints about the van, shoot me a PM
Old 09-04-18, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just assume I shot you a PM and PM em on over! haha

Yeah I would get a Touring or an Elite. My sister in law just got an EX-L and I drove it and the difference in the transmission is huge.

Honestly my biggest worry is the single screen rear seat entertainment. My kids are used to watching their own shows...
Old 09-04-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
An Odyssey for sure. I would only do the Sienna if I had to absorb negative equity by trading out of the Pacifica early.

Also, don't assume, just because of the "T" on the hood, that Siennas are always reliable. My Flight Instructor (who I stayed friends with all these years) has had two of them, brand-new, and both developed problems. He also had trouble getting Toyota to stand behind one of them.

What about another Sedona? I know you had one previously, and were not totally satisfied with it, but, in general, unless you are looking for AWD, it gives you more for your money than either a Sienna or Odyssey.
Old 09-04-18, 08:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Chrysler products are not known to be reliable, especially with electronics.

Oddysey's are good choices, my parents friends had a older Oddy, when I would come to visit they would take my parents and I out to eat in it. They never had any issues with it and it just felt like a solid vehicle, I think they still might own it. If the financial loss is too painful for a brand new Oddy what about one that is a year or two old with very low miles, they are solid vehicles, doubt you have to worry about anything buying used aside from some rock chips or interior wear.

In your situation it almost sounds like you could use a beater 3rd car too like a older family sedan like a Camry or Accord just in case one of your 2 vehicles has a issue you still have a option to not need to go to the dealership right away/rent.
Old 09-04-18, 09:14 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I have never really had an unreliable car so if I was spending time at the dealer as much as you I would be annoyed as well. Just because your warranty covers everything is meaningless. Like you time and hassle is money to me since I don’t have much time these days with work and kids stuff.

I always liked Land Rovers but I could never get over the reliability issues. I rolled the dice with my Durango SRT because, like in your decision, it had all the bells and whistles and Uconnect is highly regarded (at least when it works). The tech is just way better than our old GX460, it gets up to speed with little effort, is fun to drive, has more room and way easier to access he third row. So far in 5 months I haven’t had any issues but if I had the ones you are having all the positives start to diminish and I would likely look to get out of it.

i will say when we looked at the Durango they had a couple Pacifica’s with the sporty grey wheels and it looked great. Best looking minivan I have seen.

Old 09-04-18, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, don't assume, just because of the "T" on the hood, that Siennas are always reliable. My Flight Instructor (who I stayed friends with all these years) has had two of them, brand-new, and both developed problems. He also had trouble getting Toyota to stand behind one of them.

What about another Sedona? I know you had one previously, and were not totally satisfied with it, but, in general, unless you are looking for AWD, it gives you more for your money than either a Sienna or Odyssey.
I think overall though the Sienna is likely to be plenty reliable.

The issue with the Sedona is the lack of ability to access the third row, its smaller, and no option for rear seat entertainment.

Originally Posted by UDel
In your situation it almost sounds like you could use a beater 3rd car too like a older family sedan like a Camry or Accord just in case one of your 2 vehicles has a issue you still have a option to not need to go to the dealership right away/rent.
I sure hope it doesn't come to that LOL

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have never really had an unreliable car so if I was spending time at the dealer as much as you I would be annoyed as well. Just because your warranty covers everything is meaningless. Like you time and hassle is money to me since I don’t have much time these days with work and kids stuff.

I always liked Land Rovers but I could never get over the reliability issues. I rolled the dice with my Durango SRT because, like in your decision, it had all the bells and whistles and Uconnect is highly regarded (at least when it works). The tech is just way better than our old GX460, it gets up to speed with little effort, is fun to drive, has more room and way easier to access he third row. So far in 5 months I haven’t had any issues but if I had the ones you are having all the positives start to diminish and I would likely look to get out of it.

i will say when we looked at the Durango they had a couple Pacifica’s with the sporty grey wheels and it looked great. Best looking minivan I have seen.
Thats why I rolled the dice on the second Jeep, and why I rolled the dice on the Pacifica. They're great vehicles that feel much more expensive than they are. Based on what I've seen its very hit or miss, you either get a good one or a bad one. My 2014 Jeep was great, got a good one. 2011 Jeep and the Pacifica not so much.
Old 09-05-18, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

really sorry to hear about pacifica issue. i can hear all the "i told you so's" in this forum but it's just unfortunate. i mean if the screen wasn't freezing you'd be pretty satisfied i presume?

huge thread on the issue here i assume you've read, and also know about the two button reset?
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...ch-screen.html

couple of things i saw:

If it happens again, hold in the Mute and Tune buttons together for about 5 seconds. That will reboot the Uconnect system.
I have found that if I stop, shut off the car, even open my door to fully remove energy from this system and then wait 3-5 minutes, it will come up and work fine. If I immediately restart, it can stay frozen. This seems to happen to me usually on the first engine start up of the day and once corrected as above, everything works fine the rest of the day.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-05-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-05-18, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah if it weren't for that we'd be a whole lot more satisfied. There are other little things too, but they're not as big a usability issue as the screen.

I don't know that we've tried both the buttons. Worth a shot. The second is true, you have to sit there for a few minutes otherwise even shutting it down and restarting doesn't work.
Old 09-05-18, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really sorry to hear about pacifica issue. i can hear all the "i told you so's" in this forum but it's just unfortunate. i mean if the screen wasn't freezing you'd be pretty satisfied i presume?
You will never hear a childish "I told you so" from me....I don't operate that way. Problems can happen with ANY vehicle, at ANY time....even Toyotas and Hondas, as my Flight Instructor found out with both of the Siennas he has owned. My Lacrosse, while generally good, has not been perfect, either...in the last couple of weeks, it seems to have developed a quirk in how the hot/cold air is blended and routed and through the left/right defroster vents. I can still keep the windshield clear inside, but it takes some fiddling with the buttons and *****. It also has one small body-attachment defect in the front-end trim.