Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Write-Up: Subaru Impreza...the ideal inexpensive AWD car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18 | 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default MM Write-Up: Subaru Impreza...the ideal inexpensive AWD car?

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza/index.html

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/crosstrek/index.html

For a number of years, I have felt that the Subaru Impreza is arguably the best value in the American market for a relatively small, inexpensive AWD vehicle that can be bought and operated without breaking the family budget. Although climate change and the increasing Heat-Island effects of growth around major cities are lessening the amount of snow that some places get each winter, Mother Nature remains notoriously fickle. The unpredictable D.C area here is a prime example of that, and one mild winter (or one week/month) can still be followed by another one with Arctic conditions. So, of course, many persons still want (or need) the security of having AWD without the price, bulk and lower gas mileage of larger SUVs. Parents, in some cases, may also want to buy their high-school kids a nice suitable vehicle to go off to college in a bad-weather area (the prestigious Ivy-League schools of New England, in particular, can have some especially bad conditions in the winter). The Impreza is also an ideal car for students because of its good safety record, low operating costs (for an AWD vehicle), and reasonable insurance fees.....though young people often pay more, in general, for insurance, because of their higher risk. Impreza 4-door sedans and 5-door hatchbacks start around 19K and even the Limited top-Line versions start at between 25-26K. At one time, I thought the AWD Suzuki SX-4, a smaller vehicle at an still-lower price, was an even better deal...and the SX-4 had a feature the Impreza didn't..a three position rotary switch on the dash that cold shift the car from FWD to AWD to AWD Lock for tough conditions. But, of course, the Suzuki Automotive Division folded in the U.S. (they still sell motorcycles here)....and the SX-4 left with it.

Yes, there are other small AWD vehicles, in this general price range, available in the American market....the Impreza is not the only one. The Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, Toyota CH-R, and Ford EcoSport, among others, all compete in this range. But, IMO, most of them, as a rule, are awkward-looking, cramped, uncomfortable, underpowered, poorly-designed, and/or generally just not as attractive for the money as an Impreza....though I will admit that the Honda HR-V is exceedingly well-built. These other vehicles (which are classed as B-class/sub-compact SUVs) do offer more standard ground clearance than the Impreza. But, if ground clearance for deep snow is an issue, one can choose the Subaru Crosstrek XV, which is essentially an Impreza 5-door hatchback, with more trim and body cladding, on a raised-suspension and different wheels/tires, for more ground clearance....essentially a mini-Outback. Crosstreks, on average, run about 2K more than Imprezas...they start, without options, around 22K and top-line models start around 27K. Despite our variable winters, the Crosstrek is very popular here in the D.C area.....I see dozens of them every day. Crosstreks also come in some interesting paint colors that you won't find on Bread-and-Butter Imprezas. Consumer Reports, several times, has ranked both the Impreza and Crosstrek highly. And the Symmetrical AWD system in all Subaru products (except the RWD BR-Z sports coupe) is noted throughout the industry for its simplicity, lightness, and efficiency...one reason Subarus get relatively good gas-mileage figures for an AWD vehicle.

Are they perfect? No, not by any means. I have never liked the way that Subaru does their seats...somewhat hard and slab-like for my tastes. The CVT transmission in the Impreza/Crosstrek is not the worst one on the market, but, based on my test-drives, does have some noticeable rubber-banding and motorboating characteristics (a 5-speed manual is available on base models). Subaru flat-four engines generally don't run as long as the competing in-line fours from Honda and Toyota without having problems. Earlier models (depending on the year) had some issues with piston rings/oil-consumption, head-gaskets, and rear-wheel bearings, and road noise....but the road-noise issue seems to have been dealt with on the latest models, and they are noted for a smooth ride by compact-car standards. The Subaru dealer network, for sales and service, is reasonably good, but, of course, not as widespread as Ford, Toyota or Honda. These, of course, are all factors that have to be taken into account when making a car-buying decision. But, if I had a kid of college age who as ready for his or her first new car, I wouldn't think twice about getting him or her a new Impreza....whether they or I actually paid for it LOL.

And, of course, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-18 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-03-18 | 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We like our Matrix hatch. If I were looking for a replacement today, I think I could rock the hatch/wagon model. Not sure about the higher trim levels but something mid level. Subaru is also offering $1500 cash incentives so you can get one of these for about $20K
Old 09-03-18 | 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We like our Matrix hatch. If I were looking for a replacement today, I think I could rock the hatch/wagon model. Not sure about the higher trim levels but something mid level. Subaru is also offering $1500 cash incentives so you can get one of these for about $20K

Yes, the Corolla-based AWD Matrix was a good competitor to some smaller Subarus (the Pontiac Vibe was the same car re-badged by GM)...but it was pulled from the American market several years ago, so that's why I didn't mention it. (I figured most of the readers would be from the U.S.). An ex-co-worker of mine had one for some 10 years (I shopped with him and helped him buy it)....and he now has a Crosstrek. The Toyotas have what are probably better engines and transmissions.....the Impreza and Crosstrek have a better, more efficient AWD system.

(P.S.....according to Wiki, the Matrix has also been pulled from the Canadian market).
Old 09-04-18 | 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I might add that three of my fairly-close neighbors in my condo development have bought new Crosstreks in just the past year....and a couple of my colleagues at the fitness center where I regularly swim. One of them is the receptionist at the front desk. It seems to be just what a number of people are looking for in a winter vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-18 at 05:21 PM.