Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 11:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota Corolla Touring Sports

Toyota is introducing a wagon variant of the new Corolla. The Touring Sports bodystyle has been designed and developed in Europe, and as Toyota mentions, the adoption of the TNGA platform means it's not just a Corolla Hatch that's grown a wagonback: The longroof Corolla also has a longer wheelbase, at over 106 inches, while the wheelbase of the Hatch measures at just under 104 inches. This gives the Touring Sports "best-in-class" rear seat legroom, according to the manufacturer.

The sportwagon gets a similar powerplant palette as the rest of the Corolla range in Europe, meaning there's just one non-hybrid engine and no diesels. The entry-level unit is a 116-horsepower 1.2-liter turbo unit, and the two engines above it are 1.8-liter and 2.0-liter hybrids. The bigger hybrid engine offers 180 horsepower, while the smaller one makes do with 122. The inclusion of hybrid tech also doesn't compromise the loadspace: Cargospace is said to be 21.1 cubic feet.

The styling and appearance of the Touring Sports are a step closer to "lifestyle" wagons such as the original Lexus IS Sportcross, rather than the humble and upright Corolla wagons of yesteryear; the tapering roof, especially when specified with the glass moonroof, makes the Corolla Touring Sports resemble more "dynamic" wagon offerings. To further accentuate the styling, the wagon will be available with an optional, contrasting black roof. The stretching and upscaling of the Corolla's wagon version makes sense from a European perspective, as the bigger Avensis sibling (itself heavily related to the tC coupe) was recently slashed from Toyota's model portfolio. The Corolla Touring Sports will offer an alternative for Toyota customers looking for a conventional ride height wagon instead of a crossover.

As the Touring Sports has reportedly been tailored for the European market, it is unlikely to be included in the U.S. Corolla lineup; still, we wouldn't mind seeing it aimed at Volkswagen wagon customers, for example. The formal introduction of the Corolla Touring Sports will take place at the Paris Auto Show in early October.
Source
Old 09-05-18, 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

looks like the product launch is on mars.

and looks like what the venza would have become.
Old 09-05-18, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This is an absolute beautiful exterior design. Not a fan of the rear of the US model. I do not like the table center display at all.
Old 09-05-18, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like the product launch is on mars.
LOL funny......
Old 09-05-18, 11:55 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is an absolute beautiful exterior design. Not a fan of the rear of the US model. I do not like the table center display at all.
i actually like the center stack of cheaper cars.. just plug in your iPhone/Android and see CarPlay/AA.. no need to relearn now to work the entertainment system of different cars.
Old 09-05-18, 12:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i actually like the center stack of cheaper cars.. just plug in your iPhone/Android and see CarPlay/AA.. no need to relearn now to work the entertainment system of different cars.
agreed

and yes, its a great looking Corolla!

Old 09-05-18, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Could care less about Apple Car Play at this point. I tried out my parents system in the new Avalon, yes it is nice to have but it is not a deal breaker IMO.
Old 09-05-18, 12:49 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should bring it over here. Bet it'd sell well. And keep the same headlights while you're at it, Toyota.
Old 09-05-18, 01:40 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

looks like the tsx wagon and volt fused together. lol
Old 09-05-18, 02:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Love this car. It's practical and looks to be super slow. Perfect used car for a teenager
Old 09-06-18, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i'm sure when we see it with the 'standard' 16s and isn't lowered for photos it'll look just great.

either way, i don't expect many to sell in the u.s.
Old 09-06-18, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Wagons and hatchbacks dont sell here. What's with Toyota always being so conservative in the power department. Yes on paper it is competitive, but in real world performance, it lags behind the turbo competitors.
Old 09-06-18, 07:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i'm sure when we see it with the 'standard' 16s and isn't lowered for photos it'll look just great.

either way, i don't expect many to sell in the u.s.
Unfortunately US will not get it.
Old 09-06-18, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Unfortunately US will not get it.
seems like a smart business decision. it won't sell here.
Old 09-06-18, 08:47 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

seems like a smart business decision. it won't sell here.
I wonder if it would sell if it were crossified by raising the suspension a bit, giving it larger wheels and tires, and adding some lower-body and fender cladding (like what Infiniti did to the Q30 to transform it into the QX30): Make it look like a popular crossover utility vehicle rather than a plebeian station wagon.

Quick Reply: Toyota Corolla Touring Sports