Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick owners will be able to pay for their gas in their car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I couldn't care less about "TopTier" fuels. Its just a marketing program that companies buy into.

That's because you may not be putting enough miles on your vehicles (leasing them every 2-3 years) for crappy fuel to build up a lot of deposits in your engine and fuel system.....deposits are an especially noted problem with Direct-Injected engines.

And no, according to Consumer Reports, the top-tier system is not just slick marketing. By the very nature of their work, CR knows how to recognize smooth-talking when they see it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 08:03 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Top Tier fuels, by definition, have better detergents in them than other brands.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/
you are taking too much at face value. That’s not what the article says.

Gasoline wirh additives are indisputably better. The article confirms this obvious point.

Just because a manufacturer hasn’t paid the TopTier license fee, however, doesn’t mean that their gasoline doesn’t have additives.

Caveat emptor, but it’s perfectly possible for non top tier fuel to have the same additives as a top tier fuel.

my local stations are all top tier, and that’s what I get, but top tier is as much a for pay marketing program as it is a measure of quality.

Last edited by swajames; 09-12-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because you may not be putting enough miles on your vehicles (leasing them every 2-3 years) for crappy fuel to build up a lot of deposits in your engine and fuel system.....deposits are an especially noted problem with Direct-Injected engines.
Which is one reason why I don't care. Most people don't keep their cars long enough to start seeing issues that come from the sort of fuel they use or the sort of oil they use.

What I DO believe in is using quality fuel. I generally stick to name brand dealers, avoid small off brand gas stations. What I don't buy into is that ONLY "TOP TIER" gas is high quality gas. So, by default I typically use Top Tier gas because I choose to use name brand gas and its almost all Top Tier.

The whole reason this exists is to try and help big brands compete with cheap, off brand gas stations.
Old 09-12-18, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames

you are misreading.

Gasoline wirh additives are indisputably better.

Just because a manufacturer hasn’t paid the TopTier license fee doesn’t mean their gasoline doesn’t have additives.

Caveat emptor, but it’s perfectly possible for non top tier fuel to have the same additives as a top tier fuel.

Exactly......

A big regional company like Royal Farms, Sheetz, 7 Eleven, Wawa, Liberty etc is going to have quality gas with additives even though they aren't "Top Tier" branded. That gas is coming from one of the same quality sources as gas going to those Top Tier stations.
Old 09-12-18, 08:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

haha when I bought my BMW new it had a Top Tier brochure. I at the time believed it was more hocus pocus BS, and over the years there has been inconsistency. On my permanently attached oil cap, it has the Castrol logo. Well, BMW has switched over the years, and the cap is not a label you simply peel off. So I say just because BMW switched to Shell, doesn't mean Castrol is no good anymore, it's pay to play.

Long story short I asked someone in the petroleum business, and they stated yes there is something to TOP TIER, and got into in detail and earnest, and if the same price, why in the world would you want unbranded gasoline? I get it if it's a leased car, but if you own it? That's why I seek out Conoco, Costco, Phillips 66, and previously Citgo. When I see a Shell across from Speedway, and it's only 3 cents difference, you bet Speedway gets shut out. Another failed logic on my part was I see Mystic pulling into a top tier station, and a convenience mart. Same carrier, so how can the gas be different? Because the additives are put into the tanker at the terminal, that very same tanker isn't going to both stations on one run.

edit p.s. why I thought Top Tier was BS. BMW at the time recommended Castrol (as physically shown stamped on the oil filler cap). Castrol is owned by BP. BMW recommends Top Tier gasoline. BP at the time was NOT Top Tier. So it to me was inconsistent...again today, with Conoco, Costco, Phillips 66, I can buy 93 Top Tier gas for the same as Wawa, etc. So I seek it out. Today, I don't think it's the same.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-12-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 08:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

you are taking too much at face value. That’s not what the article says.

Gasoline wirh additives are indisputably better. The article confirms this obvious point.

Just because a manufacturer hasn’t paid the TopTier license fee, however, doesn’t mean that their gasoline doesn’t have additives.

my local stations are all top tier, and that’s what I get, but top tier is as much a for pay marketing program as it is a measure of quality.

Yup. Up until a few years ago, BP with their Invigorate additive (didn't it used to be Envigorate?) wasn't listed as a Top Tier gas. When they finally were added to list, they published the comment that they finally decided to pony up and pay the TT fees.
Old 09-12-18, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yup. Up until a few years ago, BP with their Invigorate additive (didn't it used to be Envigorate?) wasn't listed as a Top Tier gas. When they finally were added to list, they published the comment that they finally decided to pony up and pay the TT fees.
Exactly, nothing changed with their additives, they just finally decided to pay the fees.
Old 09-12-18, 09:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This argument (and I used it so it's reasonable) is used all the time when it comes to college and whether or not a top college is worth it. One argument where I sit back and laugh is when someone says, "Oh that college costs $78,000/yr. My kid got in but no way are we gonna go in debt and pay that." The dead giveaway is that college is up to 10% of income to 250k, so if your kid really got in? You would know that! For most people, the top tier colleges cost between $0 and at most $25k if your family earns 250k/yr. (along with that comes a 4.5 to 8% acceptance rate) Less costly than many public schools.

So, if Top Tier gas is not any more expensive (again, Costco, Conoco, Phillips 66 in my area), then why go out of your way to get unbranded for the same price?
Old 09-12-18, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This argument (and I used it so it's reasonable) is used all the time when it comes to college and whether or not a top college is worth it. One argument where I sit back and laugh is when someone says, "Oh that college costs $78,000/yr. My kid got in but no way are we gonna go in debt and pay that." The dead giveaway is that college is up to 10% of income to 250k, so if your kid really got in? You would know that! For most people, the top tier colleges cost between $0 and at most $25k if your family earns 250k/yr. (along with that comes a 4.5 to 8% acceptance rate) Less costly than many public schools.
Its not as simple as to say "college costs 10% of your income up to $250k". What you're taking into account is financial aid, and its not as simple or straightforward as that.

So, if Top Tier gas is not any more expensive (again, Costco, Conoco, Phillips 66 in my area), then why go out of your way to get unbranded for the same price?
I don't think anybody would do that, or is suggesting that somebody would do that. Point is, it is in fact typically more expensive.
Old 09-13-18, 04:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly......

A big regional company like Royal Farms, Sheetz, 7 Eleven, Wawa, Liberty etc is going to have quality gas with additives even though they aren't "Top Tier" branded. That gas is coming from one of the same quality sources as gas going to those Top Tier stations.
Exactly. Sellers like Wawa, Sheetz, 7-11, Giant, Costco, are luring people in by their gas prices. They aren't going to risk damaging customer engines and harming their reputations by selling sub-standard gas.