Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan design chief confirms new Z is underway

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 10:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Q60? Yes, there are several tunes that put them past Red Sport Numbers probably because the Non Red sport doesn't have optical sensors. $1100 tune

That is good to know and as soon as I read they use the same hardware, mainly just different tune, thought it would make more sense just to get the 300hp version and get it tuned at a shop for 400hp or more which would likely be much less expensive then getting the 400hp RedSport version, warranty issues may arise though.

Looks like the pricing of the 3.0T generally goes from $44.5K for a lux to $48.3K for a Sport in RWD. RedSport is $52K for RWD so there is significant savings, around 4K to 8K depending on package, if you go with the 300hp version and have it tuned for around $1100 over getting the 400hp Redsport.
Old 09-11-18, 11:15 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is good to know and as soon as I read they use the same hardware, mainly just different tune, thought it would make more sense just to get the 300hp version and get it tuned at a shop for 400hp or more which would likely be much less expensive then getting the 400hp RedSport version, warranty issues may arise though.

Looks like the pricing of the 3.0T generally goes from $44.5K for a lux to $48.3K for a Sport in RWD. RedSport is $52K for RWD so there is significant savings, around 4K to 8K depending on package, if you go with the 300hp version and have it tuned for around $1100 over getting the 400hp Redsport.
The Red Sport also has different gearing for the Transmission and extra cooling for the turbos. So even though you'll save money, nobody has really seen the long term affects of tuning the Silversport past Red Sport Levels. There are now people pushing over 500 HP and 600 Pounds of Torque on this platform with no issues but again I wouldn't trust that long term right now. Nobody knows how much the tranny can handle.
Old 09-11-18, 11:52 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the biggest difference between the Q50 Red Sport and Q50 Silver Sport is that the Red Sport just has a higher PSI and better cooling system.

Hopefully they don't eff up this Z. I want to see the V6 TT from the Red Sport in this new Z. Here's hoping because Infiniti will be all hybrid by 2021.
Old 09-11-18, 01:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Would love to see it go the way of the 300ZX roots and have a twin turbo.
Old 09-11-18, 11:30 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Hoovey, sorry to have to tell you the truth, but this statement is somewhat false.

Although Alfonso Albaisa has a lot of clout and tenure at Nissan, he is somewhat a liar right now.

The Nissan design department and their sub-brand divisions, are held by a leash via a ruthless chairman, who has stifled their ability to produce millions of hours of design work into buyable vehicles.

Nissan designers are some of the most jobless people, based on the fact almost none of their internal styling proposals, design studies, and show concepts ever go into production, if the nameplate isn't for a FWD CUV or FWD family car.

I had mentioned many months ago, that the Z35 programme was cancelled in January 2018 by the executive board and they would keep it in production through 2021, then discontinue it.

A final design was approved over 18 months ago, then development started suffering by the second half of 2017 and then it was ultimately cancelled.

Infiniti's next generation EV platform complicated things, in not favouring RWD originally. The CV37 Infiniti Q60 platform is apparently outdated, because the V35 Skyline (G35) originally debuted it in 2001 and the front-midship platform dates back to 1994 in origination.

The next Q60 styling gets signed off next year for MY2023 and a CV37 (Q60) facelift for MY 2020. Next Q50 is done.There was no business case to make a bespoke platform for the Z35, as the next GTR is still not planned until around 2024 or 2025 and too expensive regardless. The R36 is in development though.

Group design director Alfonso Albaisa has been understandably disappointed, that the Z35 design work approved under his predecessor Shiro Nakamura roughly 2 years ago, was canned, as the design itself was beautiful and looked nothing like the cliche renderings being passed around. It rivaled the original Z of 1969 and was hot.

It was going to use the CV37 turbo VR30DDTT powerplant and architecture, but in the end it was deemed unfavourable and unprofitable for silly reasons.

Anyway, Albaisa lied in January after that cancellation and all automotive media have been doing so since then. Anything published after January 20, 2018 about a 400Z is a straight up lie or old news from a rumour mill. He is trying to save face and keep up morale, as product planners try to re-study things.

What is going to happen, is the Z34 370Z will see some changes (2020) to keep it alive and a new model might be studied again. Do not expect a redesigned Z in less than 5 years, as Nissan product planners will likely have to hit reset and start over.

The GT-R will get one final facelift (2021) and R36 will arrive circa 2024. Currently they are in early development of it, so it is far from ready.
Old 09-11-18, 11:42 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Hey Hoovey, sorry to have to tell you the truth, but this statement is somewhat false.

Although Alfonso Albaisa has a lot of clout and tenure at Nissan, he is somewhat a liar right now.

The Nissan design department and their sub-brand divisions, are held by a leash via a ruthless chairman, who has stifled their ability to produce millions of hours of design work into buyable vehicles.

Nissan designers are some of the most jobless people, based on the fact almost none of their internal styling proposals, design studies, and show concepts ever go into production, if the nameplate isn't for a FWD CUV or FWD family car.

I had mentioned many months ago, that the Z35 programme was cancelled in January 2018 by the executive board and they would keep it in production through 2021, then discontinue it.

A final design was approved over 18 months ago, then development started suffering by the second half of 2017 and then it was ultimately cancelled.

Infiniti's next generation EV platform complicated things, in not favouring RWD originally. The CV37 Infiniti Q60 platform is apparently outdated, because the V35 Skyline (G35) originally debuted it in 2001 and the front-midship platform dates back to 1994 in origination.

The next Q60 styling gets signed off next year for MY2023 and a CV37 (Q60) facelift for MY 2020. Next Q50 is done.There was no business case to make a bespoke platform for the Z35, as the next GTR is still not planned until around 2024 or 2025 and too expensive regardless. The R36 is in development though.

Group design director Alfonso Albaisa has been understandably disappointed, that the Z35 design work approved under his predecessor Shiro Nakamura roughly 2 years ago, was canned, as the design itself was beautiful and looked nothing like the cliche renderings being passed around. It rivaled the original Z of 1969 and was hot.

It was going to use the CV37 turbo VR30DDTT powerplant and architecture, but in the end it was deemed unfavourable and unprofitable for silly reasons.

Anyway, Albaisa lied in January after that cancellation and all automotive media have been doing so since then. Anything published after January 20, 2018 about a 400Z is a straight up lie or old news from a rumour mill. He is trying to save face and keep up morale, as product planners try to re-study things.

What is going to happen, is the Z34 370Z will see some changes (2020) to keep it alive and a new model might be studied again. Do not expect a redesigned Z in less than 5 years, as Nissan product planners will likely have to hit reset and start over.

The GT-R will get one final facelift (2021) and R36 will arrive circa 2024. Currently they are in early development of it, so it is far from ready.
Great write up Carmaker1! I read a lot of your stuff on Lexus Enthusiast!

Question though: I have bold the part where you said the next Q50 is done. Is that reference that in 2020, the 2021 Q50 will be ready for release?

Slight off topic: Is the next gen Lexus IS still slated for 2021 Model Year, like the Q50?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-18, 11:50 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Aw thanks, much appreciated. The Q50 will be MY 2022, but the IS will be due in 2020. Styling for the next IS was already settled on last year. The next Q60 has entered review of full size mockups, but won't get final approval until next year. IDK about RC.
Old 09-12-18, 01:15 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Aw thanks, much appreciated. The Q50 will be MY 2022, but the IS will be due in 2020. Styling for the next IS was already settled on last year. The next Q60 has entered review of full size mockups, but won't get final approval until next year. IDK about RC.
Nah. No need to say thank you. Lexus Enthusiasts readers should be thanking you. Hahah. You post some really good/informative post.

Interesting. Next gen Q50 is MY2022. Then again - I'm not too surprised by this either. I was either thinking it would be either MY2021 or MY2022 for the next gen Q50 because of the situation with the Q70. The Q70 is in need of a update and I would figure the Q70 would get it first before the Q50. It'll be quite interesting to see what the Nissan/Infiniti EV platform will be in 2021 and onward and how it'll affect the Z.

Ahhh. Just double checking on the IS - good to know its still on track for a 2020 due date for a 2021 model year. Based on your experience and knowledge, do you think the SUV craze going on right now would change the market up a bit? Is possible car companies would put off sedan and sports cars in favor of more profitable SUVs?
Old 09-12-18, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Lol don't be sorry, I'm very blunt and straight to the point which is how I like it. That is sad news but I believe you. I just find it sad that automakers let such storied nameplates languish.
Old 09-12-18, 12:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lol don't be sorry, I'm very blunt and straight to the point which is how I like it. That is sad news but I believe you. I just find it sad that automakers let such storied nameplates languish.
Automakers nowadays care more about the bottom line and what the "latest craze" is. This is why Mitsubishi wants to use the EVO nameplate to make a SUV and the Ford use the Mach 1 nameplate for another SUV. Not sure why carmakers think this is "cool."

And I know we also all have different opinions on Apple Car Play/Android Auto. While I do understand the importance of it, there are too much of the general public thinking its a life or death must have feature. I'm always a fan of the BMW way of thinking. Pay for it if you want it. This let you customize a car to your liking and option out (save a bit of cash) for things you don't want.

Old 09-12-18, 01:05 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

I agree 100%. I used to have a 93 300ZXTT and thought it was the best looking Z. Once they went to the newer body style 350/370Z they lost me as a buyer. I wonder if Nissan will follow Toyota and talk about it and post spy shots for years before releasing it.
Oh yeah 300ZXTT was when Nissans were sweet. C'mon Japan, get back in the game. Manuals with RWD.
Old 09-13-18, 09:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Oh yeah 300ZXTT was when Nissans were sweet. C'mon Japan, get back in the game. Manuals with RWD.
Even G37 had a manual. I was hoping the Q60 had a manual too, and that they manage to kill also.
Old 09-13-18, 09:54 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Even G37 had a manual. I was hoping the Q60 had a manual too, and that they manage to kill also.
Car companies are starting to think about their bottom line. Chances are manuals are going to be fading quicker than we believe it to be. I'm not surprised the Q didn't get a manual. Infiniti is already moving towards EV/Hybrid tech. We will see what will become of them in the future. Who knows? Maybe the 370z, G and Q50 Red Sport will be the last of the good Nissans that are still enthusiast cars.
Old 09-13-18, 10:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Automakers nowadays care more about the bottom line and what the "latest craze" is. This is why Mitsubishi wants to use the EVO nameplate to make a SUV and the Ford use the Mach 1 nameplate for another SUV. Not sure why carmakers think this is "cool."

And I know we also all have different opinions on Apple Car Play/Android Auto. While I do understand the importance of it, there are too much of the general public thinking its a life or death must have feature. I'm always a fan of the BMW way of thinking. Pay for it if you want it. This let you customize a car to your liking and option out (save a bit of cash) for things you don't want.
They are using Eclipse now for a SUV so they might as well, they have no respect for nameplates/legacy anymore, just catchy names and sales. It is really sad, I am sure they will use 3000GT for another dopey SUV next.
Old 09-13-18, 11:12 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

They are using Eclipse now for a SUV so they might as well, they have no respect for nameplates/legacy anymore, just catchy names and sales. It is really sad, I am sure they will use 3000GT for another dopey SUV next.
Its true. Its annoying when companies don't respect the nameplate, legacy or history for a car. Instead - they prefer to use the name to make another run-of-the-mill SUV.

While I know the X3 M and X4 M isn't the same, I do feel like BMW is using the M name plate as a marketing gimmick for their SUVs now. The X5 M and X6 M I give it a pass because they are a more premium SUV. But a X3 M? That's just gimmicky and getting too much. We don't need to M every effing car. It takes away the exclusivity if every model has a M.

Quick Reply: Nissan design chief confirms new Z is underway