Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride ('23 refresh added)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Most shoppers in this class care more about whether it has a pano sunroof. You don't like Kia.; that's fine. The Telluride's sales numbers don't reflect a widespread share of your HP concerns.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
t's jill's usual jab at anything hyundai/kia,

I don't always agree with Jill either, particularly when it comes to Kia and Hyundai. But she is entitled to her opinion, and she usually does, at least, make an effort to go and look at the vehicles before she comments, which is what more people should sometimes do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-19 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 05:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So I am not trying to come off as argumentative or difficult at all. I believe in 2016, Toyota had full Atkinson on the HL/RX hybrid and went to Otto/Atkinson switching.
Yes, the Highlander Hybrid and RX450h are full time Atkinson. RX350 added the ability to go Otto or Atkinson in 2016, the regular gas Highlander followed in 2017.
Old 09-25-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I don't always agree with Jill either, particularly when it comes to Kia and Hyundai. But she is entitled to her opinion, and she usually does, at least, make an effort to go and look at the vehicles before she comments, which is what more people should sometimes do.
Thanks. It is just an opinion. When I look at the hp, tq and MPG numbers, for a new model, these models only come close to the competition. They don’t necessarily exceed it. It seems to me that Hyundai or KIA criticism or talk is a flash point on this forum. I saw both at the Toronto Auto Show back in 2019 early as prototypes, they are excellent vehicles. I think a little criticism doesn’t hurt.
Old 09-25-19, 05:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. It is just an opinion. When I look at the hp, tq and MPG numbers, for a new model, these models only come close to the competition. They don’t necessarily exceed it. It seems to me that Hyundai or KIA criticism or talk is a flash point on this forum. I saw both at the Toronto Auto Show back in 2019 early as prototypes, they are excellent vehicles. I think a little criticism doesn’t hurt.
Criticism does not hurt--the internet thrives on criticism.

But the point is that criticizing vehicles like these, in this class, with this target market, because they are 10-20 HP down on the most powerful competitors, is just tilting at windmills. You make it like it's a big deal--and it may be to you. But it's not to the target customer base. And Hyundai and Kia know it.
Old 09-25-19, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

It seems to me that Hyundai or KIA criticism or talk is a flash point on this forum.
no flash point, just seemed like a cheap shot about something that makes no difference to paying customers.

Originally Posted by tex2670
Criticism does not hurt--the internet thrives on criticism.

But the point is that criticizing vehicles like these, in this class, with this target market, because they are 10-20 HP down on the most powerful competitors, is just tilting at windmills. You make it like it's a big deal--and it may be to you. But it's not to the target customer base. And Hyundai and Kia know it.
Old 09-26-19, 11:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the fact that people arent squeemish about paying 40k for loaded Kia Tellurides means other established brands like Honda are in big trouble. Pilot is so laughably insufficient compared to what else is out there. Toyota/Honda need to watch out but at least Toyota has a highlander redesign soon
Old 09-26-19, 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the fact that people arent squeemish about paying 40k for loaded Kia Tellurides means other established brands like Honda are in big trouble. Pilot is so laughably insufficient compared to what else is out there. Toyota/Honda need to watch out but at least Toyota has a highlander redesign soon
yeah the pilot is now ANCIENT but no doubt honda's working on a new one. but those zillions of cr-v sales make up for it for now.
Old 09-26-19, 01:42 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I agree. I think overall Kia has done a very nice job of material selection and layout in the interior, overall exterior styling is good/very good on most of their models, and their 10/100k and 5/60k warranty offerings round things out to make it a very strong value and a risk worth taking (IMO) on a new car. It may not be the ideal choice for someone who wants to hold on to a car for 10-15 years just due to the lack of a proven track record of how they will hold-up, but I don't think most people are buying them for that anyway.
Old 10-02-19, 01:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

glowing review from automobile mag...

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...w-yep-stellar/

i never noticed these cool little lights down low... maybe only on high end trim.

Old 10-02-19, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i never noticed these cool little lights down low... maybe only on high end trim.

Those lights down low are indeed a nice touch. One thing I really hate is the absence of fog lights on cars in the modern age.
Old 10-02-19, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Those lights down low are indeed a nice touch. One thing I really hate is the absence of fog lights on cars in the modern age.

I've had fog lights on several vehicles I've owned, and my experience is that they don't make much difference over simply using regular headlights on low beam. But do NOT use high-beam lights in fog....the water-droplets in the air will reflect at least part of the light right back at you.
Old 10-02-19, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've had fog lights on several vehicles I've owned, and my experience is that they don't make much difference over simply using regular headlights on low beam. But do NOT use high-beam lights in fog....the water-droplets in the air will reflect at least part of the light right back at you.
Huh. Never mentioned high beams. I don’t get it.
Old 10-02-19, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Huh. Never mentioned high beams. I don’t get it.

In response to your stated dislike of modern vehicles without fog lights, I simply compared fog lights to low-beam headlights, and in my experience, on vehicles I've owned, there isn't much difference between the two. The high-beam comment is simply an (aside) recommendation of most driving experts not to use high-beams in fog, due to reflectivity issues.
Old 10-02-19, 03:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

This one, and the one on Motorweek has the amber DRLs, while all the ones I see in town have the white ones. Wonder what's up with that.

I personally prefer the amber as it looks sharper.
Old 10-02-19, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
This one, and the one on Motorweek has the amber DRLs, while all the ones I see in town have the white ones. Wonder what's up with that.

I personally prefer the amber as it looks sharper.
Maybe the switch when the car is parked?

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride ('23 refresh added)