Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 10:13 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Lfablue527

How about the next gen Tundra? I want to know information about it. Thanks if you know any.

It will debut in 2020, turbo diesel six cylinder is coming finally, Hybrid option on the way, best in class fuel economy, all new platform will be used for a multitude of vehicles.
Old 09-12-18, 10:17 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

It will debut in 2020, turbo diesel six cylinder is coming finally, Hybrid option on the way, best in class fuel economy, all new platform will be used for a multitude of vehicles.
wow, amazing! Wonder if the Taco and LC will get that motor!
Old 09-12-18, 10:18 AM
Lfablue527
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. So 2021 model model year? Any details about an all new V8 engine? How about anything on how it looks?
Old 09-12-18, 10:24 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
wow, amazing! Wonder if the Taco and LC will get that motor!

I haven’t heard anything regarding the LC and that motor for the US market. But I have confirmation that the motor will see it’s way into the the hoods of the midlife cycle Tacoma and all new 4Runner for the US.
Old 09-12-18, 10:30 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven’t heard anything regarding the LC and that motor for the US market. But I have confirmation that the motor will see it’s way into the the hoods of the midlife cycle Tacoma and all new 4Runner for the US.
Regarding the motor for the 4runner....are you saying the diesel you referred to or an unknown "new" motor? Just clarifying, thanks for your insight!!
Old 09-12-18, 10:36 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Excellent news!
Old 09-12-18, 10:38 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Thank you. So 2021 model model year? Any details about an all new V8 engine? How about anything on how it looks?
I don’t know really anything about the other truck engine options yet. But I have a hunch forced induction is coming, naturally inspiration may be on its way out unfortunately for body on frame Toyota’s.
I haven’t seen what the new Tacoma looks like either.

I only have limited access to vehicles debuting within 6-7 months.

What I can say is Toyota is hard at work on a slew of brand new and innovative products.

RAV4
Supra
Highlander
AWD Camry and Avalon
Plug In Hybird Sienna
refreshed Tacoma
all new Tundra
Sequoia will debut on year after
heavily refreshed 4 gen Prius.
And there is a new Crossover addition being introduced to the Toyota lineup that will be smaller than highlander I have very little info on that at the moment.

Old 09-12-18, 10:48 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Regarding the motor for the 4runner....are you saying the diesel you referred to or an unknown "new" motor? Just clarifying, thanks for your insight!!
It is my “assumption” it’s a brand new motor for Toyota. To be honest I only deal with Toyota North America product. I’m not for if they will migrate the engine from the ROW parts bin or If it’s part of Toyota’s new dynamic force engine family.

Working with and at Toyota things are extremely tight lipped, far more than any other manufacturer that I’ve ever worked with. I work around marketing so I’m last to know things.
Old 09-12-18, 10:54 AM
Lfablue527
Driver School Candidate

I don’t know really anything about the other truck engine options yet. But I have a hunch forced induction is coming, naturally inspiration may be on its way out unfortunately for body on frame Toyota’s.
I haven’t seen what the new Tacoma looks like either.

I only have limited access to vehicles debuting within 6-7 months.

What I can say is Toyota is hard at work on a slew of brand new and innovative products.

RAV4
Supra
Highlander
AWD Camry and Avalon
Plug In Hybird Sienna
refreshed Tacoma
all new Tundra
Sequoia will debut on year after
heavily refreshed 4 gen Prius.
And there is a new Crossover addition being introduced to the Toyota lineup that will be smaller than highlander I have very little info on that at the moment.

Thank you. Very interesting information. I’m hoping the tundra is a truly class leading product and that it makes the Big 3 sweat.Hopefully it’s loses a lot of weight too. Also that it has standard Led headlights and taillights.
Any information on the Supra?
Old 09-12-18, 10:56 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

It is my “assumption” it’s a brand new motor for Toyota. To be honest I only deal with Toyota North America product. I’m not for if they will migrate the engine from the ROW parts bin or If it’s part of Toyota’s new dynamic force engine family.

Working with and at Toyota things are extremely tight lipped, far more than any other manufacturer that I’ve ever worked with. I work around marketing so I’m last to know things.
We all appreciate your info! I am huge 4runner fan, hence my question to you I have owned 6 now, all new. I am honestly surprised to hear Toyota is bring a new diesel here for their trucks. Most automakers over the last year or so (after the VW scandal) have opted to pull the plug on all their diesel models for the US market. I agree though, I forsee FI motors becoming the norm going forward even for their BOF trucks. If you hear anything else regarding Toyota trucks, keep us informed. My dad wants to buy the new Tundra when it debuts, he did the same back in 2007.
Old 09-12-18, 11:11 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
We all appreciate your info! I am huge 4runner fan, hence my question to you I have owned 6 now, all new. I am honestly surprised to hear Toyota is bring a new diesel here for their trucks. Most automakers over the last year or so (after the VW scandal) have opted to pull the plug on all their diesel models for the US market. I agree though, I forsee FI motors becoming the norm going forward even for their BOF trucks. If you hear anything else regarding Toyota trucks, keep us informed. My dad wants to buy the new Tundra when it debuts, he did the same back in 2007.
Hi There,

no problem at all. I see we have similar taste in cars via our signatures. I really think Toyota was cornered with Nissan, GM, Ford and FCA all releasing diesels within the last 24 months.
Old 09-12-18, 11:15 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Hi There,

no problem at all. I see we have similar taste in cars via our signatures. I really think Toyota was cornered with Nissan, GM, Ford and FCA all releasing diesels within the last 24 months.
It seems like we do, ha! My wife drives the GS350 while the 911 TS is a weekend toy....which saw very little use this year sadly. You have some very nice toys yourself! I always thought a Cayman would be a great track car someday. Had a boxster years ago. Anyway, you are right about the other Truck makers and diesels....perhaps they will stick around for trucks and disappear in cars.
Old 09-12-18, 11:26 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Thank you. Very interesting information. I’m hoping the tundra is a truly class leading product and that it makes the Big 3 sweat.Hopefully it’s loses a lot of weight too. Also that it has standard Led headlights and taillights.
Any information on the Supra?

Tundra will definitely have Standard LED headlights. And all new Toyota’s going into the future as they debut will come standard with LED headlight technology.

I’m glad some one finally asked about the Supra. From what I understand it will start in the low $40k’s. We are making a big announcement at SEMA 2018. Their will be two BMW sourced motors i4 and i6 mated to a 8 Speed ZF Auto. It will be made in Austria. Double bubble roof, fixed rear wing spoiler, engine state of tune will be reminiscent of BMW’s tune. I saw 355hp and 365 lb-ft for the i6. There will be nonfunctional air intake slits on the side just aft of the doors, but they aren’t as terrible as the ones on the 4th gen Mustangs. It will go on sale next spring. LED headlights and taillights. Tablet style infotainment on the dashboard. No manual was talked about.
Old 09-12-18, 11:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

For what it's worth, we UBER'd all over Toronto in a Highlander. I rather liked it. One has to wonder, with its fuel economy being what it is, there's a real premium to pay when one chooses a large American SUV over it. haha we did the latter and are paying
Old 09-12-18, 10:22 PM
Lfablue527
Driver School Candidate

Tundra will definitely have Standard LED headlights. And all new Toyota’s going into the future as they debut will come standard with LED headlight technology.

I’m glad some one finally asked about the Supra. From what I understand it will start in the low $40k’s. We are making a big announcement at SEMA 2018. Their will be two BMW sourced motors i4 and i6 mated to a 8 Speed ZF Auto. It will be made in Austria. Double bubble roof, fixed rear wing spoiler, engine state of tune will be reminiscent of BMW’s tune. I saw 355hp and 365 lb-ft for the i6. There will be nonfunctional air intake slits on the side just aft of the doors, but they aren’t as terrible as the ones on the 4th gen Mustangs. It will go on sale next spring. LED headlights and taillights. Tablet style infotainment on the dashboard. No manual was talked about.
Thanks. Im super excited for the supra. Hopefully they make aTRD version with over 400 hp. I also hope the new tundra is very tough looking. Any info on the corolla sedan? Toyota 86 replacement? Do you know about future lexus products too? Lcf? Next gen IS?

Quick Reply: 2019 Highlander