Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How long does a new car stay "new"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 02:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I disagree, nearly every CUV on the market today is a jellybean rollie-pollie as the RX300 was
I think the RX line is more delineated from the second-gen RX330 than it was from the RX300, unlike the difference say from the ES300 to the ES330, the RX330 was more radical in nature and has withstood the test of time in terms of design compared with the modern RX.

I will say this, so many SUVS and CUVS took their design cues from the RX300. The only thing I really don't like about the new RXs is the giant front grille.
Old 09-11-18, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with the fading-smell group. IMO a "new" car is pretty much defined by the classic interior smell. My Lacrosse still has a small hint of it after some 13 months.
Old 09-11-18, 03:48 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with the fading-smell group. IMO a "new" car is pretty much defined by the classic interior smell. My Lacrosse still has a small hint of it after some 13 months.
That sounds amazing to have it after 13 months. It seems to me like you took amazing care of it.

I think a lot of people find the smell to be the definition of of a "new" car.

What do you think about engine change and features in relation to how "new" a car is? IE: If a person bought a 2014 Lexus IS250 in 2014, and then in 2016 - the Lexus IS200T came out. I think in this situation - the 2014 Lexus IS would be outdated compared to the 2016 IS200T in the year 2016 because the IS200T has more features/newer engine/newer transmission. Am I crazy for thinking this way? My friend seems to think so.
Old 09-11-18, 04:03 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts

Its new until you hate sending that check to the finance company.
Old 09-11-18, 04:24 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new car stays "new" as long as the paint is still as shiny as the first day that you got it. The car looking shiny is why it entices people to make the purchase in the first place. I've spoken about this in other thread but cars tend to look older within a years time because of the way people wash the car.

Last edited by theory816; 09-11-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 04:28 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by theory816
A new car stays "new" as long as the paint is still as shiny as the first day that you got it. The car looking new is why it entices people to make the purchase in the first place. I've spoken about this in other thread but cars tend to look older within a years time because of the way people wash the car.
Definitely true. A good wash on a car will make an older car look new. I have seen some OG American cars at collector shows and they look brand new. Like - they were never driven. However - they were driven and just properly maintained. Good point. +1

However - I was more alluding to a specific model line of a vehicle in correlation with the features. IE: Is the 2014 Lexus IS250 only considered "new" until the 2016 Lexus IS200T comes out? My friend doesn't think so but I think so. I think the 2016 Lexus IS200T is what made the 2014 Lexus IS250 outdated because the IS200T came with a new engine, new tranny, and more features.
Old 09-11-18, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
That sounds amazing to have it after 13 months. It seems to me like you took amazing care of it.
Thanks, but no more so than any other car I've owned. I think it is just the specific materials used inside....those in some vehicles emit odors longer than others.

What do you think about engine change and features in relation to how "new" a car is? IE: If a person bought a 2014 Lexus IS250 in 2014, and then in 2016 - the Lexus IS200T came out. I think in this situation - the 2014 Lexus IS would be outdated compared to the 2016 IS200T in the year 2016 because the IS200T has more features/newer engine/newer transmission. Am I crazy for thinking this way? My friend seems to think so.
Since you asked, my own opinion is that people that get smitten by the latest engines/technology/design every couple of years often end up spending needless money just to either Keep up with the Jones's, or to be the first on the block to have whatever the latest craze is. I learned that myself, the hard way, a number of years ago. I have personally found, over time, that a new vehicle every four to six years is a reasonably good compromise between depreciation, reliability, new features, getting your money's worth, and satisfying the Gotta-Have-It urge.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

people considered my 3 year old jeep grand cherokee brand new.

i think model refreshes and new models make prior models 'old', to me at least.
Old 09-11-18, 11:36 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, but no more so than any other car I've owned. I think it is just the specific materials used inside....those in some vehicles emit odors longer than others.

Since you asked, my own opinion is that people that get smitten by the latest engines/technology/design every couple of years often end up spending needless money just to either Keep up with the Jones's, or to be the first on the block to have whatever the latest craze is. I learned that myself, the hard way, a number of years ago. I have personally found, over time, that a new vehicle every four to six years is a reasonably good compromise between depreciation, reliability, new features, getting your money's worth, and satisfying the Gotta-Have-It urge.
Definitely true. Some cars tend to have a bunch of cheaper materials that doesn't seem to age well.

Really good point. Keeping up with the Jones is a huge part of the mind-set of the consumer market. This is why car companies prey on this and exploit it. I agree with you there 100%.

I think buying cars with the keeping of the Jones mentality (to have the latest car) is definitely a hard waste of cash. The return in value won't be there - especially if you replace a car in a short period of time.
I believe cars, all cars, stay on average new for maybe 1-2 years (best 3 years tops). Then after that, its pretty much "old" in terms of features, design or compared to the competition. Because of this - its super, super unreasonable for people to switch out their cars every 1-3 years to have the latest features.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
people considered my 3 year old jeep grand cherokee brand new.

i think model refreshes and new models make prior models 'old', to me at least.
SRT? :O My buddy has a SRT and that thing hauls ***. Lol.

Thanks for your input! I think model refreshes and new models making prior models "old" is a good point. For me - I think the refresh model will definitely make the pre-refresh model look "older". If there is a major change pre-refresh, I think the prior model years can get "older" quicker. I always think of the Infiniti Q50 3.7 and the Infiniti Q50 3.0T Silver Sport/Red Sport for this. While the designs are relatively the same - the Silver Sport/Red Sport models coming out in 2016 will surely cause buyer's remorse for the tuner folks that bought the 2014/2015 Q50 3.7 models. This is what makes me think - if something major like an engine change or a huge feature add-on, then a prior model year can get "old" prior refresh as well.
Old 09-12-18, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

or until you decide to take off the plastic dealer plate and put on the real license plate (yes you red light traffic camera runner out there).
Old 09-12-18, 09:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
or until you decide to take off the plastic dealer plate and put on the real license plate (yes you red light traffic camera runner out there).
I've purchased 4 brand new cars, and on the Porsche, I requested dealer tags with the MSO (I sold it as a new car aka never registered). That was the only time I have ever seen a MSO.

Wasn't sure if OP was driving at the "new car feeling?" The Maxima lasted until I saw a brand new GS400. The BMW feels new today, and it is going on 12 (garage queen). My wife's feels "utilized" as it's a soccer-mom mobile, but comfortable nonetheless and we plan on going as long as we can with it.

I had picked up a Nissan Rogue at the Detroit airport with 7 miles, so it felt brand "new" to me, and such when I returned it with about 270. It physically gave me a "new car" experience as I felt that not only was it physically a new car, but I am the first person to have it for multiple days.

Financially? A new car will feel used as soon as you start it for the very first time.
Old 09-12-18, 10:23 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh dude. I hate those plastic dealer plates. I hate the even the aluminum ones they give you. Lol.

I don't advertise for free, you know. xD
Old 09-12-18, 10:28 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've purchased 4 brand new cars, and on the Porsche, I requested dealer tags with the MSO (I sold it as a new car aka never registered). That was the only time I have ever seen a MSO.

Wasn't sure if OP was driving at the "new car feeling?" The Maxima lasted until I saw a brand new GS400. The BMW feels new today, and it is going on 12 (garage queen). My wife's feels "utilized" as it's a soccer-mom mobile, but comfortable nonetheless and we plan on going as long as we can with it.

I had picked up a Nissan Rogue at the Detroit airport with 7 miles, so it felt brand "new" to me, and such when I returned it with about 270. It physically gave me a "new car" experience as I felt that not only was it physically a new car, but I am the first person to have it for multiple days.

Financially? A new car will feel used as soon as you start it for the very first time.
Thanks for the reply and input John!

Definitely - financially speaking - the car will get old as soon as you sign the paper. That's just how the car market works unless we are talking about collector's items.

To add on to this topic: I wasn't referring to the "feeling of new" per-say. My friend and I were chatting on the way to work and we were specifically talking about how long a "new" car stays "new" from the same model line before it could be seen as old. IE: I argued a 2014 Lexus IS250 would only stay "new" till 2016 because that's when the 2016 Lexus IS200T comes out with more features and a newer engine. However - my friend argued that the 2014 Lexus IS250 will stay "new" till the refresh in 2017.
What's your take on this, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-12-18, 11:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Oh dude. I hate those plastic dealer plates. I hate the even the aluminum ones they give you. Lol.

I don't advertise for free, you know. xD
Yeah if that's the case, mine was "new" until day 2 of my ownership lol. I took that thing off as soon as I had a replacement plate frame.
Old 09-12-18, 11:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the reply and input John!

Definitely - financially speaking - the car will get old as soon as you sign the paper. That's just how the car market works unless we are talking about collector's items.

To add on to this topic: I wasn't referring to the "feeling of new" per-say. My friend and I were chatting on the way to work and we were specifically talking about how long a "new" car stays "new" from the same model line before it could be seen as old. IE: I argued a 2014 Lexus IS250 would only stay "new" till 2016 because that's when the 2016 Lexus IS200T comes out with more features and a newer engine. However - my friend argued that the 2014 Lexus IS250 will stay "new" till the refresh in 2017.
What's your take on this, if you don't mind me asking?
This is a very good question...here's where on 3 of our cars, I personally feel the cars we own, are preferred to the generation that replaced them. Nothing more than personal preference. The cars are these:

1998 Nissan Maxima SE--do not like the 2000 Maxima better

2007 BMW 335i coupe--do not like the 2014 coupe better

2006 Lexus LS430--do not like the 2007 LS460 better

So in my personal case, although the cars are not newer, I like the older ones better. That's why my 2007 still feels new, I feel the E92 was in the sweet spot, looks, not bloated, etc.

Where this is not the case? Porsche. 996 to 997 to 991 to the next generation. In every case, I like the newer better than the older. So maybe it depends. And really, the most important opinion is always of the person who spent the money....

I will say that I took delivery of the E92 BMW in Dec. 2006. It was a head turner. People stopped and gave me thumbs up, it was that beautiful at the time. Guess one would have to have been there lol This was not the case with the 2014. Usually a new BMW coupe comes out, you can't get one, have to order. Not so with the 2014....

Quick Reply: How long does a new car stay "new"?