Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Happened to Lexus?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

wow Carmaker1, thanks for the incredible and thorough history lesson and taking your time to do that.
Old 09-21-18, 09:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The statement “cars already dont have CD players” doesn’t mean all cars. It’s a trend, fewer and fewer cars will have them going forward.
Well I wish someone would have emailed me, I just spent $214 incl. tax and shipping, for a 19 cd box set! I loaded the first 6 in the Lexus, and none of the other cars have a changer so I carry a case with the rest.

I am not sure but I would venture a guess that these 19 cds aren't going on anyone's phone, even if you have 512 gb on a newer phone...
Old 09-21-18, 09:29 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank You Carmaker1! I was hoping you will post it here also, since you posted some of the same info at Lexus Enthusiast. Looking forward to reading about the Development of 5LS.
Old 09-21-18, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Well I wish someone would have emailed me, I just spent $214 incl. tax and shipping, for a 19 cd box set!
just curious, what music?

I am not sure but I would venture a guess that these 19 cds aren't going on anyone's phone, even if you have 512 gb on a newer phone...
you could load those 19 cds in lossless format on almost any decent phone today. you certainly don't need 512GB.

Old 09-21-18, 08:17 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Fantastic post, Carmaker1! Great read and very informative.
Thanks, I just hope it wasn't too muddled or lengthy to read. Sometimes I just get too carried away.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow Carmaker1, thanks for the incredible and thorough history lesson and taking your time to do that.
You're very welcome, I've been meaning to dedicate a thread to Lexus and Toyota Motor Corporation "History of Innovation" since 1950. Solely focused on Lexus and/or premium/hi-tech Toyota brand models. There is so much many of us have not known about this company's capabilities, that I wish Toyota USA would do it more justice and celebrate their heritage more openly, than just coast along on simplistic marketing. This is Lexus heritage, as for instance if Lexus existed in 1967, the Land Cruiser and 2000GT would've never worn the Toyota badge. The Century would've been a Lexus from the onset as well and the heritage of the brand, would be something else today. Lexus is no Edsel or Mercury, so it has longevity.

My post was indeed somewhat out of place here and a little off-topic, so I appreciate your understanding as a moderator. Not to mention, yes it did take forever to organize

Originally Posted by john341
Thank You Carmaker1! I was hoping you will post it here also, since you posted some of the same info at Lexus Enthusiast. Looking forward to reading about the Development of 5LS.
You're welcome. I made these points, as it has been unfair how accusations of Toyota/Lexus being "unoriginal" are so often made the standard among car enthusiast circles, yet many times they've been copied by European, Korean, and North American competition. Toyota tried to introduce GPS Navigation to the States in the late 1980s/early 1990s, but were rebuffed by the U.S. government.

It wasn't until GM presented their own system, that the Clinton administration began to allow use of GPS by civilians. The monopoly that Ford and GM have on vehicle regulations for the U.S. market, inhibits German and Japanese automakers from getting the jump on them regarding certain types of technological innovation. Think back to even composite headlamps vs sealed beams, which only because of the 1984 Lincoln Continental, was the law changed to allow the former. So many German and Japanese imports, had ugly headlights until the mid-late 1980s because of this in North America. On the Japanese end, it just makes them look like they're lazy when dealing with protectionism.

As for the 5LS, yeah I apologize about my slowness, as I have in my hands some copyrighted photos of the design process, that I am trying formerly establish solid permission for first. All photos from 2012 to 2014 styling sign-off and a few from 2015. I am considering PMing them to all users, versus posting them publicly.
Old 09-22-18, 05:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
There is so much many of us have not known about this company's capabilities, that I wish Toyota USA would do it more justice and celebrate their heritage more openly, than just coast along on simplistic marketing. This is Lexus heritage, as for instance if Lexus existed in 1967, the Land Cruiser and 2000GT would've never worn the Toyota badge. The Century would've been a Lexus from the onset as well and the heritage of the brand, would be something else today. Lexus is no Edsel or Mercury, so it has longevity.
I think the Cresedia, MR2 and Supra might had a Lexus badge as well. But I like how Lexus was born in the early 90s. For the most part, I like the Toyota brand more than the Lexus brand and from everything I have read Toyota is one of the top 10 brands in the world, the strength of the Toyota brand helps with the Lexus brand. But who, perhaps if Lexus was started in the late 60s, Toyota would not be the juggernaut that it is today and perhaps Lexus might of folded by now.

There is so much many of us have not known about this company's capabilities, that I wish Toyota USA would do it more justice and celebrate their heritage more openly, than just coast along on simplistic marketing.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Old 09-22-18, 06:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There is so much many of us have not known about this company's capabilities, that I wish Toyota USA would do it more justice and celebrate their heritage more openly, than just coast along on simplistic marketing.
I agree. Other than concentrating on bringing greater sportiness to Toyota and Lexus, Toyota has become even more quiet and conservative with regards to "new technology" in the past decade. We are now at the point that even the Toyota and Lexus fans are saying that the company is "2 generations behind the Germans" when it comes to sporty vehicles, turbocharged vehicles, hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, self-driving vehicles (as some examples).

But are the Germans truly ahead or do they have better marketing departments that are constantly in your face about "new, innovative" hybrid technology, new electric vehicles coming soon, new digital instrumentation technology, snazzy LED headlamps, etc., etc., etc.?
Old 09-22-18, 07:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I suspect that Toyota Motor Corporation is conservative because presently, we are at a special period in time, when there are "so many" body style options with the likes of low coupes, medium sedans, and tall wagons.
Furthermore, presently there are "so many" different engine choices too including the likes of: diesels, atmospheric, small capacity turbos, electric turbos, gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrid electric, hydrogen fuel cell powered electric, lithium ion powered full blown electric, and finally solid state battery powered full blown electric.

TMC is all about efficiency, and money, hence TMC is presently the wealthiest auto manufacturer in the world with equity of near US$200 billion - more than double the value of Daimler AG.
Hence, presently I can understand why the GS line will be temporarily discontinued, and why TMC don't have a huge range of engines etc etc.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-23-18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typing error.
Old 09-22-18, 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

But are the Germans truly ahead or do they have better marketing departments that are constantly in your face about "new, innovative" hybrid technology, new electric vehicles coming soon, new digital instrumentation technology, snazzy LED headlamps, etc., etc., etc.?
The Germans are definitely ahead of Lexus with their plug in hybrids. The ESh and LSh should of been plug in hybrids.
Old 09-23-18, 01:11 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes, unlike the Germans who are definitely committed to small capacity turbos, plug-in electric hybrids, and lithium ion electric, TMC seems to have their hands in just about everything including:
Diesels
Atmospheric
Small capacity turbos
Hybrids
Plug-in hybrids
Hydrogen fuel cell powered electric
Lion electric
Plus solid state development.

Maybe TMC could learn from the Germans & definitely axe some of the formats like: diesels, atmospheric, and hybrids?
Old 09-23-18, 01:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I suspect that Toyota Motor Corporation is presently conservative because presently, we are at a special period in time, when there are "so many" body style options with the likes of low coupes, medium sedans, and tall wagons.
Furthermore, presently there are "so many" different engine choices too including the likes of: diesels, atmospheric, small capacity turbos, electric turbos, gasoline-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrid electric, hydrogen fuel cell powered electric, lithium ion powered full blown electric, and finally solid state battery powered full blown electric.

TMC is all about efficiency, and money, hence TMC is presently the wealthiest auto manufacturer in the world with equity of near US$200 billion - more than double the value of Daimler AG.
Hence, presently I can understand why the GS line will be temporarily discontinued, and why TMC don't have a huge range of engines etc etc.
you wrote presently 5 times in that post.

but i don't see that you actually explained about your observation. toyota is conservative because there's lots of different styles of vehicles out there? Seems like the weakest of rationalizations.
Old 09-23-18, 01:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I agree. Other than concentrating on bringing greater sportiness to Toyota and Lexus, Toyota has become even more quiet and conservative with regards to "new technology" in the past decade. We are now at the point that even the Toyota and Lexus fans are saying that the company is "2 generations behind the Germans" when it comes to sporty vehicles, turbocharged vehicles, hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, self-driving vehicles (as some examples).

it's probably a bit of both... moving slowly AND weak marketing by toyota/lexus.
Old 09-23-18, 01:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you wrote presently 5 times in that post.

but i don't see that you actually explained about your observation. toyota is conservative because there's lots of different styles of vehicles out there? Seems like the weakest of rationalizations.
There was one typing error with one too many "presently".

There's a lot of body styles out there, and although they all have the same underpinnings so that they can be assembled on the same assembly line, having lots of body styles costs money for Toyota - hence they want to cut down.
Where they really really want to cut down is in the number of engine variations - so many variations costs a lot of development and manufacturing money.

When we think about it, atmos vs turbos - each have their pros and cons.
Hybrids vs plug-ins - each have their pros and cons too.
So, like Sulu suggested - clever marketing does play a part.
The Germans have been able to steer the market to turbos and plug-ins - while Toyota Motor Corporation have their hands tied in everything, and TMC are a master at nothing - TMC doesn't seem to know what they want to specialize in.
Old 09-23-18, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I suspect that Toyota Motor Corporation is conservative.
IMO there is nothing conservative about a vehicle that is styled like this:

Old 09-23-18, 02:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes, you're right Mike - their styling can be very "radical".
However, their drivelines in particular are conservative.

Quick Reply: What Happened to Lexus?!