Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
these should be more integrated with the dash and infotainment not on the sides or they couldve done something like the cadillas rear view camera system
doesnt seem intuitive to look at the middle of the car to see both side mirrors, i dont think many people will use it like that... and it is also good for them to look on the side on their own in any case since when you are turning left, you have to look left to see what is coming ahead of you... and then you have this mirror screen below for the back. It is simply intuitive instead of always watching both left ahead and then left back in the center screen.

This is going to come to every luxury vehicle in 2 years, no doubt about it.
Old 09-14-18, 10:03 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I prefer the way Audi has designed their mirrors inside. They are built into the car door instead of a mini tablet tacked on like these on the Lexus.

I'm still not sure if they are something I would want or pay extra for. Will need to see them in person.

This is a concept design so it will probably change,

Old 09-14-18, 02:11 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I prefer the way Audi has designed their mirrors inside. They are built into the car door instead of a mini tablet tacked on like these on the Lexus.

I'm still not sure if they are something I would want or pay extra for. Will need to see them in person.

This is a concept design so it will probably change,

I second this. The Audi design for these "camera-based" side mirrors are way better. It looks more flush and integrated.

I think the biggest point that people have against this is - its a feature that doesn't really return as much as it will cost. Strictly speaking - the value isn't there. Chances are you are going to have to pay premium for this option, its going to be expensive to fix/repair, questionable during extreme weather conditions, and the reliability is definitely not as good as a mirror. And you get minor benefits at best.
Old 09-14-18, 02:23 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is going to come to every luxury vehicle in 2 years, no doubt about it.
I doubt 2 years... That's insanely quick and unreasonable.

Firstly - we have to see if this will even gain steam or popularity. The thing is - it'll only reach market if consumers really love it. And right now - based on this forum alone - it seems the majority are uneasy about it.

Secondly - we have to consider the laws and change the laws surrounding this tech. For the US specifically, we don't even allow front sequential turn signals yet. And our rear sequential turn signals has to have to be a specific size. If we are slow with car light laws, how slow would we be for this camera-based side mirror tech? We won't be able to change the law in 2 years.

Thirdly - 2 years is just too short of a time for majority of the luxury car market to have this feature. If you were to say sometime in the next decade, then I would believe you. I'll assume you might see this in maybe 2025 and later. 2 years from now - the higher-end luxury cars won't even be getting a redesign. Its likely this feature will show up on the more expensive luxury cars before the cheaper ones. And this will take them for it to phase into. 2 years is just too short.
Old 09-14-18, 02:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I doubt 2 years... That's insanely quick and unreasonable.
Agree completely. There's absolutely zero chance that we go from "illegal in all 50 states" to "standard equipment across multiple entire brands" in 2 years. I don't think we could get that done if it was an autonomous intervention system that eliminated 100% of collisions. A replacement for the side mirror that adds marginal additional utility? No way.
Old 09-14-18, 03:36 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
A replacement for the side mirror that adds marginal additional utility? No way.
Completely agree here. I don't think the value is there. The benefits of this tech doesn't outweigh the cons, which are the cost of the option, price of repairs, reliability, condition during harsh weather conditions and etc...

Speaking of prices - I hope when this thing does get into market - it'll be more as an "optional extra" rather than part of a "Driver's package." This allow better customization of the car. Truthfully - cars nowadays come with packages where 50% of the package content is junk but you want the other 50%. Individual options is the best way to go.

I'm curious about one thing though - how will the camera based side mirrors function under heavy rain, heavy sunshine, or snow? Given the camera lens is relatively small - would rain or snow cover it? Would there be a glare from sun?
Old 09-14-18, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm curious about one thing though - how will the camera based side mirrors function under heavy rain, heavy sunshine, or snow? Given the camera lens is relatively small - would rain or snow cover it? Would there be a glare from sun?
Those are good questions. I agree. I find that rain and/or snow can cloud up part of the view from my back-up camera.
Old 09-14-18, 10:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those are good questions. I agree. I find that rain and/or snow can cloud up part of the view from my back-up camera.
Oh definitely true for back-up cameras. There was a time in the Bay Area where there was heavy rain storm. The rear-camera was just not doing justice at all. You pretty much had to guess still and go outside to double check.

This is why its questionable for camera side mirrors. I guess we will see when this tech gets on the road long term and we see some trial/errors. Or reviews.
Old 09-15-18, 07:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't believe the side cameras would get nearly as dirty as a rearview/backup camera. In the rain, the rear of my car is by far the part that gets the dirtiest. Road grime gets caked all over the back - bumper, tail lights, license plate, camera, etc. My side mirrors don't get even close to that dirty.
Old 09-15-18, 07:58 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder why both screens have a battery looking icon?
Old 09-15-18, 08:45 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't believe the side cameras would get nearly as dirty as a rearview/backup camera. In the rain, the rear of my car is by far the part that gets the dirtiest. Road grime gets caked all over the back - bumper, tail lights, license plate, camera, etc. My side mirrors don't get even close to that dirty.
Well - Marsh and I weren't referring to the dirt. More of the weather conditions during parking and driving.

But you are right about the dirt in the rear camera, it gets dirtier in the back.
Old 09-15-18, 10:46 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I wonder why both screens have a battery looking icon?
Looks more like a video camera icon to me. I'd guess it's just to let you know that it's a live video feed.
Old 09-15-18, 11:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Those cameras just look odd and ugly, like broken mirror stalks. I think we are so used to mirrors on cars that designs will look odd without them but if it is losing the mirrors I would just like to see a system/design where you don't have anything sticking out.
Old 09-15-18, 12:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Some ES Advantages

Old 09-15-18, 10:49 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Those cameras just look odd and ugly, like broken mirror stalks. I think we are so used to mirrors on cars that designs will look odd without them but if it is losing the mirrors I would just like to see a system/design where you don't have anything sticking out.
I agree with this. Car side mirrors have been on cars for so long that not having a side mirror will make look odd to us. We have almost been conditioned this is what a car looks like.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good post but there are some errors in it though for the Infiniti Q50.
1) The Infiniti Q50 does have paddle shifters. Pre-refresh - they had the insanely nice GT-R like paddles made from expensive material with a leather tip. Refresh model has the Q60 steering wheel with paddles.
2) The Infiniti Q50 does come with a spare tire. Its an optional extra.

Errors for the Lexus ES:
1) The Lexus ES pedestrian detection is not standard. Its an optional extra that is only available for purchase on ES350 Luxury and up.

Other points:
I agree that the new Lexus ES is a good car that comes with a lot of standard equipment (more than any of the cars you listed) but it quite of bit of stuff isn't standard as well. Its a first model year. They are going to milk it for 1-2 years then add more stuff to standard after.

But - few things to keep in mind are:
1) Amazon Alexa is only on the ES because Amazon did business with Lexus first to put this software into the infotainment system.
2) 4 USB Ports is only good if you are consistently driving people in the rear seat and they need USB jacks. I think its a non-feature, to be honest.
3) Regular fuel because it uses a Camry engine. I think quite a bit of people find this is as a negative, ironically. Negative as in - people rather it be premium because then it'll feel like a "Lexus Engine."

Last edited by BippuLexus; 09-15-18 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras