Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 09:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
3) Regular fuel because it uses a Camry engine. I think quite a bit of people find this is as a negative, ironically. Negative as in - people rather it be premium because then it'll feel like a "Lexus Engine."
I think the fact that it is a naturally-aspirated V-6 should be seen as a pro whether the engine is used in other Toyota products or not. It's not common in the segment anymore - or in the case of the ATS and TLX, is an option, not a standard feature.
Old 09-18-18, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

One only need look back at the 3rd gen RX (2010 - 2015) to see whether there is some sort of luxury value in requiring premium unleaded. The 2010 - 2011 RX specified a requirement for premium unleaded fuel. This, despite it being the same engine used in the Camry and Highlander of the time, which both required regular unleaded. Lexus changed the spec in 2012 to specify regular unleaded. This change certainly didn't hurt the sales or image of the RX.
Old 09-18-18, 10:36 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

This discussion has veered off course.

I was thinking why not keep the time tested mirrors and put a camera in the side mirror housing. It would be a belt and suspender option.
Old 09-18-18, 12:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think the fact that it is a naturally-aspirated V-6 should be seen as a pro whether the engine is used in other Toyota products or not. It's not common in the segment anymore - or in the case of the ATS and TLX, is an option, not a standard feature.
I agree that V6 engines are a dying breed and that is a good point to see it as a pro. Its just the stigma of it coming from a Camry that turns people off.

It has nothing to do with the Toyota brand but everything to do with the Camry image. No one complains the VR engine is from a Nissan or a Nissan GT-R on the Infiniti Q50 because its a baby GT-R engine. There's some "name" to it.

Originally Posted by JDR76
One only need look back at the 3rd gen RX (2010 - 2015) to see whether there is some sort of luxury value in requiring premium unleaded. The 2010 - 2011 RX specified a requirement for premium unleaded fuel. This, despite it being the same engine used in the Camry and Highlander of the time, which both required regular unleaded. Lexus changed the spec in 2012 to specify regular unleaded. This change certainly didn't hurt the sales or image of the RX.
Its obvious that changing unleaded fuel to regular fuel requirements for a luxury brand will "improve" sales. Its giving the people the opportunity to cheaply own and run a luxury car. That's a no brainer. I wasn't questioning the financials of that.

I think, my point, wasn't too clear. I apologize for that. I was suggesting that, if it was premium fuel, it'll be a TTV6. And I think a TTV6 engine, exclusive to the Lexus brand, would feel more luxurious.
Old 09-18-18, 07:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I agree that V6 engines are a dying breed and that is a good point to see it as a pro. Its just the stigma of it coming from a Camry that turns people off.
What? Do you have the proof to back this up or is it merely your gut feeling, your opinion?

If buyers truly were so ashamed of a Camry V6, there would be no sales of the Lexus RX nor the Lexus ES, and it would likely affect IS 350, GS 350 and RC 350 sales also.

In fact, if most buyers truly were aware that the 3.5-litre V6 in most Lexus cars is related to the Camry's V6, Lexus should just fold up its tent and go home, since there would be so few buyers left.
Old 09-18-18, 10:47 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What? Do you have the proof to back this up or is it merely your gut feeling, your opinion?

If buyers truly were so ashamed of a Camry V6, there would be no sales of the Lexus RX nor the Lexus ES, and it would likely affect IS 350, GS 350 and RC 350 sales also.

In fact, if most buyers truly were aware that the 3.5-litre V6 in most Lexus cars is related to the Camry's V6, Lexus should just fold up its tent and go home, since there would be so few buyers left.
When I said "turns people off", I don't mean every person feels this way... I think proof can be seen by the Lexus ES haters calling a Toyota rebadge.

Besides - I was referring to the Lexus ES as a whole... The Lexus ES, be based on a Camry/Avalon and have an engine from a Camry/Avalon just turns some people off. That's all I was suggesting. No one is claiming the Toyota Camry engine will cause Lexus to close down.
Old 09-19-18, 07:59 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe the first iteration of this tech should be a combination of a camera and mirror to ease the consumers into this new technology. Also, maybe Lexus can nicely integrate the monitors into the base of the A-pillars for a Lexus fit-and-finish.

And to really take it up a notch, maybe these side cameras can record to a looping HDD, like an extension of their dash cam.

Come on Lexus, take this tech to the max!