Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW cancels all diesels from North America for 2019

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW cancels all diesels from North America for 2019

The 540d will become a single-year model

Diesel-powered BMW vehicles will only be available for a few months more in North America. For 2018, BMW offered a handful of diesels, with the 3 Series available as the 328d, the 5 Series as the 540d xDrive and the X5as the 35d. For 2019, all those will be gone. The 540d and the X5 35d have already been plucked from BMW NA's online configurator, and the imminent debut of the new, G20 body 3 Series will sweep the F30 328d off the roster quite soon.

In a statement to Autoblog, a BMW spokesperson confirmed that the brand is focusing on PHEVs in favor of diesels. "BMW of North America has seen a decrease in diesel sales and at the same time has seen dramatic sales growth for plug-in hybrid (PHEV) technology and strong demand for performance oriented gasoline engines."

The curbing of BMW diesels comes quite abruptly after the introduction of the 2018 540d xDrive, rendering that particular car a single model year oddity. Sales of the 540d only begun in February, meaning the 261-horsepower, 457 pound-foot diesel sedan will only have been available for a few months. The X5's optional diesel engine is the same unit, while the 328d's power plant is a two-liter four cylinder with 180 horsepower.

The 2019 BMW X5 will have two variants: xDrive 40i and xDrive 50i. Come 2021, an X5 plug-in hybrid will combine a three-liter straight-six to electrified tech offering 40 miles of electric range, up from the 14 miles it can currently manage. "At this time BMW of North America is not planning on offering a diesel variant of the BMW X5in the U.S.," according to the spokesperson.

When the 328d goes, it will be the last diesel car available in the U.S. from a German brand. Mercedes-Benz, a carmaker that has sometimes been considered near-synonymous with diesel, offered no 2018 model year diesel cars in the United States. Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche have also done away with diesel-powered offerings. Porsche's diesel engines available in the Cayenne were provided by Volkswagen.

But BMW diesel fans do have a ray of hope shining through this dark announcement. According to the spokesperson, "BMW of North America continues to monitor customer preferences and is prepared to adjust the product portfolio accordingly." So, if diesel demand ever comes back, BMW is prepared to meet it.
Source
Old 09-12-18, 12:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

It’s a shame as these were really good engines. I just bought a new X5 and seriously considered and test drive the X5d. Some bemoaned that the US disesls were mislabeled/down on power compared to EU options, but they are smooth, strong and powerful engines. I didn’t get the diesel as I was a little worried something like this might happen with the recent diesel debacles, and the twin turbo gasoline engine in mine is a great engine too, but it’s still a shame.
Old 09-12-18, 12:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was given a 335d loaner, and the only thing that was odd to me was how low the rpms were at all times...other than that, I really enjoyed driving it. The fuel economy was a joke, around 40 mpg when I babied the vehicle and went for a long cruise...
Old 09-12-18, 01:16 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

smart move imo
Old 09-12-18, 01:47 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Love my 335d, and it's now a collector's item! Would have seriously considered a (used) 740d when replacement time came around. It'll be quite an adjustment going back to a car with a "reasonable" (as opposed to "blatantly excessive") amount of torque.
Old 09-12-18, 02:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry to see this, I have a friend with a 335d and loves it.
Old 09-13-18, 07:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

humm, never heard about this...

Own a 2009-2013 BMW X5 Diesel or a 2009-2011 335d?

Despite BMW's eco-friendly promises, its vehicles contain an emissions-cheating device and emit harmful pollutants at amounts beyond legal limits. You may be entitled to compensation or a buyback.A BMW diesel emissions lawsuit claims 2009-2013 BMW X5 and 2009-2011 BMW 335d diesel vehicles are equipped with emissions "defeat devices" manufactured by Bosch, the same company tied to the Volkswagen emissions scandal.

According to the plaintiffs, they purchased their BMW diesel vehicles without knowing the automaker had equipped the vehicles with software that caused excess nitrogen oxide emissions in real-world driving.

The defeat devices allegedly turn down emissions controls when the vehicles aren't being tested for certification, in some cases causing nitrogen oxide emissions 20 times above standards.Attorneys for the plaintiffs tested a BMW vehicle in multiple conditions ranging from 45-70 mph, with most tests conducted at 60 mph. Over the course of 2,401 miles, highway emissions were allegedly about 3 times above standards and maximum levels were nearly 20 times the standards.

The lawsuit alleges the vehicles are anything but the "clean" vehicles BMW advertised due to the automaker's willful manipulation of the emission systems.Based on testing, the plaintiffs allege the X5 and 335d diesel vehicles emit higher levels of nitrogen oxides compared to gasoline-powered vehicles, compared to BMW's advertising and compared to levels set by the federal government. The plaintiffs allege those points make the vehicles illegal in the U.S.

The lawsuit further alleges a common connection with illegal emission systems from Volkswagen and other automakers is supplier Bosch that created the engine management software used to fool test machines.One of the plaintiffs says he purchased a used 2012 BMW X5 diesel vehicle for about $43,000, but in reality paid at least $1,500 too much because it was a diesel vehicle that emitted illegal highway levels of nitrogen oxides.The plaintiff says the X5 did get the promised fuel economy and power, but only because the vehicle had illegal emissions software that polluted the environment.

He claims he would not have purchased the X5 or would have paid less for it, by at least $1,500.The plaintiffs also claim their vehicles aren't worth what they should be due to the illegal emissions systems, something BMW knew about but "recklessly disregarded."According to the lawsuit, emissions meet standards when the vehicles are tested at about 72°F, but the lawsuit alleges emissions increased 2.4 times above standards when testing was conducted between 50°F and 60°F. In addition, testing between 45°F and 50°F show nitrogen oxide emissions 4 times above legal standards.

The plaintiffs claim a clear conspiracy exists between BMW and Bosch and the partnership is what enabled the affected X5 and 335d cars to achieve the power, fuel economy and efficiency BMW promised consumers.

However, the partnership also created the conditions needed to mask the real emissions levels of the vehicles.BMW has been in the middle of alleged illegal emissions activity since shortly after investigators announced Volkswagen had been caught cheating on emissions tests for years.Questions about BMW vehicles popped up in 2015 when German media reported one of BMW's X3 SUVs emitted nitrogen oxides far above European standards.

The automaker immediately released a statement that said BMW never uses defeat devices and there are methods in place at BMW to block the use of such devices.The BMW diesel emissions lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court District of New Jersey - Rickman, et al., v. BMW of North America LLC, et al. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-x5-335d.shtml

Last edited by bagwell; 09-13-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 08:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
humm, never heard about this...
Good luck with compensation, I don't think any of us have gotten distributions from Takata, and that was supposed to have been done late 2017. Then, if you like your vehicle, you don't want to give it up in a buy back. The only people who win are attorneys imho.