Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

luxury brands and electric models

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 03:16 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not everyone will agree with me, which is fine because it's a subjective opinion on material matter. One of my friends who works for Tesla had a Model X 100D over the weekend. Sticker'd for about $115,000. Overall pretty decent, I didn't have much to complain about and was dazzled by the rear Falcon wing doors, though it's mostly for show. Another friend has a Model S 75D, and that one feels cheap IMO. Also had that window/pillar noise issue.
Consumer Reports ranks Tesla 25th out of 29 in reliability. CR gave the Model X, their $100,000+ SUV, the lowest score in reliability. They listed their 10 dogs to avoid based on reliability and the Model X is #1. It bonds are graded junk. In the last 3 1/2 years it has lost over 5 billion. In fifteen years they have never come close to making a profit. Their 15th year was their worst year with a loss of 1.96 billion. They lost 777 million in the first quarter of 2018 and 717 million in the second quarter. Tesla's time is borrowed as the federal tax credits will soon be disappearing and actual profitable car manufacturers increase production of cheaper, better looking and more reliable EV. The Jaguar I Pace built out with more options than the Model X is well under $25,000 less. The interior and exterior is 100% better looking. The average insurance rate for a Model 3 is $2,814 which is the same as a Porsche 911.
Old 09-17-18, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Freds430 no need to keep posting basically the same thing over and over.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10303384

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10302283
Old 09-17-18, 09:41 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Have you sat in a Tesla S before? It's 'Premium' at best. Loads of tech, cool design, but the material content leaves a lot left to be desired.

Lexus will be super late to the party. 2022 / 2023 is likely when they'll bring a full EV if I had to wager.

Cadillac and Lincoln (based on GM and Ford efforts) will have EV's probably within 2-3 years. 2020 / 2021 I think

Infiniti will have an EV before Acura.
Agreed. Tesla S is premium at best. They aren't even close to luxury. I believe people think Tesla is luxurious is because of autopilot and the tech. The sad truth is - tech isn't the reason a car is luxurious. Tech is only a small part of that equation.

Infiniti is said to fully EV and hybrid their line up starting in 2021. Other companies seem to be slowly following suit. It seems to me - by at least 2025 and onward - quite a bit of car companies will have EV/Hybrid options.
Old 09-17-18, 03:43 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Freds430 no need to keep posting basically the same thing over and over.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10303384

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10302283
Gee I hope it is not just you and me on this forum.
Old 09-17-18, 07:07 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Agreed. Tesla S is premium at best. They aren't even close to luxury. I believe people think Tesla is luxurious is because of autopilot and the tech. The sad truth is - tech isn't the reason a car is luxurious. Tech is only a small part of that equation.

Infiniti is said to fully EV and hybrid their line up starting in 2021. Other companies seem to be slowly following suit. It seems to me - by at least 2025 and onward - quite a bit of car companies will have EV/Hybrid options.
There's a lot of mystery and misunderstandings surrounding EV's and autonomous tech that I would like to dispel here.

Out of all of the new cars today, I wanna pick out the Cadillac CT6. This car is a bit special. Simply because of Super Cruise. Many people think that leather seats makes a car luxurious or that a smooth ride makes a car luxurious. While all of those things are pieces of the luxury pie, nothing gets a bigger portion of that pie than autonomous driving. I've coined the term, Hands Free is Pain Free. The only way to truly understand term is by going out and test driving the car for yourself. Luxury is about feeling, and you can't get it through reading forum posts or watching video reviews.

Most people will never get to experience this technology because its only available on top trims or high ticket cars. So what ends up happening is that people won't truly understand how much autonomy and tech can help make our lives easier. And so the push towards more EVs/autonomy is slowed.

Last edited by theory816; 09-17-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 08:37 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
There's a lot of mystery and misunderstandings surrounding EV's and autonomous tech that I would like to dispel here.

Out of all of the new cars today, I wanna pick out the Cadillac CT6. This car is a bit special. Simply because of Super Cruise. Many people think that leather seats makes a car luxurious or that a smooth ride makes a car luxurious. While all of those things are pieces of the luxury pie, nothing gets a bigger portion of that pie than autonomous driving. I've coined the term, Hands Free is Pain Free. The only way to truly understand term is by going out and test driving the car for yourself. Luxury is about feeling, and you can't get it through reading forum posts or watching video reviews.

Most people will never get to experience this technology because its only available on top trims or high ticket cars. So what ends up happening is that people won't truly understand how much autonomy and tech can help make our lives easier. And so the push towards more EVs/autonomy is slowed.
Well - I do agree that tech or autonomous does make our lives easier. But I would argue definitely - that autonomous driving is not a big portion of the pie that makes a luxury vehicle. If the ability to self-drive is the big portion of the pie, then Tesla would be the most luxurious than the Lexus LS, which is definitely not true.
Here's my example: The Model 3. It has autopilot. But interior is worst than a 80s Saturn. So - my question is - how does a crappy designed interior, crappy material used in the interior, and with crappy build quality get overrides by having the ability to drive itself?

The issue here is - tech gets outdated so fast that I would rate it on the low scale of what it means to be luxury.
Another example is hotels: A hotel with less tech, more marbles, more fine wood, more upscale (expensive) amenities, and insane costumer service is a more luxurious hotel than a modern hotel with high-end tech.

Like hotels - cars interior about inviting people in. It makes the person feel like this is nice and expensive. Everything they touch is expensive. Everything they feel is expensive. Etc...
Old 09-17-18, 09:22 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, I picked the CT6 for a very specific reason. That is, because of Super Cruise. SC is really the only car out right now that is truly HANDS FREE. Tesla's Autopilot isn't hands free and its naming is actually very misleading. But Tesla deserves nothing but praise.

We, as people, are easily fooled by shiny objects. We give more weight to them.This is a problem because the things that provides us with real comfort are things that we usually cannot see, IE pressure points, cognitive loads, temperature, and sound waves just to name a few. Aesthetics should be on the bottom of importance because it only provides eye candy, while all of your other senses are ignored. The eyes are outnumbered on 2:12 ratio(loose) of senses. So, Not in a million years can you convince me to buy a new luxury car that does not have Super Cruise.

SuperCruise wipes out pressure points on the hands and drops cognitive loads - things of comfort that cannot be seen. This in turns makes your driving EXTREMELY comfortable. Again, you must try it out for yourself if you are to truly understand luxury. And because of autonomous tech, luxury has taken on a new meaning.

The hotel example with its wondrous looking marble floors and chandeliers would all go down the drain if the noise levels are insanely high or that the temperature is unbearable. The marble floors would be unwalkable because of the hard pressure exerted onto your feet. That's why they have the fancy carpets. These things are not as trivial or basic as one may think.

Last edited by theory816; 09-18-18 at 01:02 AM.