Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 VW Beetle Final Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 06:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2019 VW Beetle Final Edition

The end of the road for the Bug

The end is finally, officially, here, folks. The current iteration of the VW Beetle ends production in July of 2019. And Volkswagen of America's president and CEO said that there are no plans for a replacement. He did point out the I.D. Buzz entering production as a sign that there's always a chance it could come back, but certainly not anytime soon.

To mark the end of the line for the Bug, Volkswagen is rolling out the 2019 VW Beetle Final Edition. It will be available in both hatchback and convertible body styles and in SE and SEL trim levels. From the outside, the main distinguishing features are two special colors, Safari Uni — a beige color — and Stonewashed Blue. These two echo the colors available on the special final editions of the 2003 classic Beetles sold in Mexico at the end of that car's production. The "Turbo" badge on the back of these models are also replaced with a "Beetle" badge. Convertibles are available with a brown top, but only on SEL models that aren't painted Safari Uni. It's also worth noting that these Final Editions are available in white, black and gray if beige and blue aren't your style. The SE gets 17-inch multispoke wheels, and the SEL gets retro-style 18-inch wheels with white painted accents.

Inside, the Final Edition Beetles get unique upholstery. The SE gets cloth and leatherette seats with diamond pleats, and the SEL gets real leather. They feature beige and black fabrics, too, which match the dashboard finish.

Aside from the cosmetic tweaks, these are the same Beetles you can find on lots now. They have the same turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with the same 6-speed automatic transmission. The good news is that they don't cost any more than equivalent Beetles. In fact, they're actually less than equivalent trims on sale now. The Beetle Final Edition SE, which starts at $23,940 for the coupe, is nearly $1,000 cheaper than a current SE. The convertible version at $28,190 is about $800 less than the regular SE convertible. There is no SEL trim to compare to the Final Edition SEL, but the hatchback's $26,890 price is about $800 less than the Dune, and the convertible's $30,890 is about $2,100 less than the Dune drop-top.
Source
Old 09-13-18, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Gee......Hulk Hogan won't be able to get his favorite car anymore.

(just kidding)

Old 09-14-18, 01:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Thinking back to the late 90's, this vehicle played a key part in raising VW to it's highest days. The Beetle, Jetta, and Passat were all must haves for trendy students and jet-setters all around. But the Beetle's time has played out and retro is no longer vogue. I'd say keep the name going, but re-invent it as a sporty, city, run-about, with two or four doors and funky, edgy styling.
Old 09-14-18, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I miss the old beetle. I was fortunate enough to visit the VW factory in Puebla, Mexico back in 2004 when they built the final old-style Beetles. So sad because it was the car that I learned to drive stick on.
Old 09-14-18, 08:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

This was a Beetle in name only VW should have done it right and made the car rear engine.
Old 09-14-18, 11:57 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

In the early 1980s I had a baby blue semi-automatic, built in Germany. That thing would go as fast as some V6s. Easy to work on, no computers needed. I still miss it.
Old 09-14-18, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

My mom had a beetle back in the 70s, and when the New Beetle came out in 1999 she had to have one...it was a total piece of garbage lol
Old 09-14-18, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thinking back to the late 90's, this vehicle played a key part in raising VW to it's highest days. The Beetle, Jetta, and Passat were all must haves for trendy students and jet-setters all around. But the Beetle's time has played out and retro is no longer vogue. I'd say keep the name going, but re-invent it as a sporty, city, run-about, with two or four doors and funky, edgy styling.

What's happened is that much of the Beetle's former buyer base has shifted to CUVs like the RAV-4 and Honda CR-V.....the Tiguan, of course, to the VW faithful.
Old 09-14-18, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's happened is that much of the Beetle's former buyer base has shifted to CUVs like the RAV-4 and Honda CR-V.....the Tiguan, of course, to the VW faithful.
I don't think its that, the Beetle was never a car people bought who didn't specifically want a beetle. Its just something thats run its course.
Old 09-14-18, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My mom had a beetle back in the 70s, and when the New Beetle came out in 1999 she had to have one...it was a total piece of garbage lol
Yes, the old rear-engined air-cooled models were interesting cars to drive, even in spite of their quirks (like no heat from the engine in the winter for the first 100 miles LOL) and getting blown all over the road in crosswinds from the ultra-light front end. But they were well-built and well-finished, especially compared to later VWs, of which many were lemons.

I remember looking at the first one to arrive at Brown VW in Fairfax (it was in 1998, but I can't remember if it was considered the 1998 or 1999 model year). There was actually a fairly large group of people in the lot, waiting to see it when it came in....the media-hype on that car was substantial. I didn't test-drive it that day, but when I did test-drive one a few weeks later, I wasn't that impressed. It drove like exactly what it was...a Retro-bodied Front-engine, liquid-cooled Golf/Jetta that, compared to the old air-cooled version, felt like an appliance. And I thought the flower-stalk on the dash was a gimmick.
Old 09-14-18, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The car isn't about the way it drives, its just a feel good retro car. The flower vase was the very definition of a gimmick, but it was fun and that was the point. I remember when she got hers the dealership had a deal with a local florist where you could show up every day and get a new flower. She loved her New Beetle, it was just a crappy car with lots of problems, etc.
Old 09-14-18, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

T, but it was fun and that was the point. I remember when she got hers the dealership had a deal with a local florist where you could show up every day and get a new flower. She loved her New Beetle, it was just a crappy car with lots of problems, etc.
Yes, agreed. It was a fun little thing. Although not quite a gimmick as it actually was a flower vase. The original Beetle also had one that you could clip to different parts of the car. I always liked the Beetle.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-18 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 03:12 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It wasn't a vase.
It was a water pipe to smoke dope.
Old 09-14-18, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The car isn't about the way it drives, its just a feel good retro car. The flower vase was the very definition of a gimmick, but it was fun and that was the point. I remember when she got hers the dealership had a deal with a local florist where you could show up every day and get a new flower. She loved her New Beetle, it was just a crappy car with lots of problems, etc.

Agreed.....I don't have any arguement with anything you say here. FWD VWs aren't known for their reliability, but if she was happy, that's what matters. I hadn't heard of the florist-deal, though...the stalk was generally designed for artificial plastic flowers, but I guess some people wanted the real thing. I generally don't believe in automotive stereotypes, but it's hard to shake the image of the FWD Beetle, particularly the convertibles/Cabrios and/or pastel-colors, as a feminine car. It's not unheard of, but I have seen very few males driving them. Other cars I see with a high percentage of female drivers is the non-S-versions of the Mini Cooper, particularly (again), convertibles, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Mazda Miata.

(That's why I said I was just kidding about Hulk Hogan, above LOL)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, she watched our kids tonight while my wife and I went out to dinner. Told her about the special final edition Beetle and she wants one.