Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Nice review Mike, definitely a good looking truck that's packaged well. I can see why they are so popular.

Thanks. Some are bemoaning the elimination (or lessening) of the classic semi/rig look. That look, no doubt, did a lot for sales and the truck's image, but it might be time to at least partly move on.
Old 09-19-18, 09:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll be most interested to see the redesign of the 2500/3500 trucks. They typically look better than their half-ton counterparts.
Old 09-19-18, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'll be most interested to see the redesign of the 2500/3500 trucks. They typically look better than their half-ton counterparts.

No sign of them yet at Ram dealerships. They are basically scheduled for the 2020 model year.
Old 09-19-18, 11:20 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. That's what I'm looking forward to seeing. I really am not a fan of the exterior of the 2019 1500s(Interior looks great though. I like the look of the F-150 interior, but I imagine the RAM will be more comfortable and currently have more features). The 4th gen 1500 looked pretty good, but the 2500/3500 looked far better IMO.

Chevy is the opposite. Their half-tons generally have looked better than their HD trucks since 2007.
Old 02-15-19, 10:28 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Reviving an old thread, drove/saw a friend's 1500 Limited at it was surprisingly luxurious. Like mmarshall reviewed, I think this is the most luxurious pick up out there. Plenty of leg room to sit 5 (or 6 if properly configured) very comfortable on long road trips, really a car-like feel unlike the Chevy/GMC twins and some decent tech including the 12 inch Uconnect, which I think is the best system in the market today.

The eye watering price (my friend's had a MSRP of $64k - though there are $10k discounts) was a shock but that's why manufacturers like trucks & SUV's so much, the profit margin... too bad FCA stopped selling the lifetime Maxcare on their vehicles...
Old 02-15-19, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Reviving an old thread, drove/saw a friend's 1500 Limited at it was surprisingly luxurious. Like mmarshall reviewed, I think this is the most luxurious pick up out there. Plenty of leg room to sit 5 (or 6 if properly configured) very comfortable on long road trips, really a car-like feel unlike the Chevy/GMC twins and some decent tech including the 12 inch Uconnect, which I think is the best system in the market today.
Not only is the Ram 1500 (arguably) the most comfortable-riding pickup currently in the American market (the Honda Ridgeline is also very car-like), but also, from my experience, does not suffer from the noted "Chevy Shake" that some late-model Silverados and Sierras have at cruise-speeds....a panel-vibration that has been very difficult to diagnose. There is even a class-action suit on it.
Old 02-15-19, 09:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Outstanding review. I agree with just about all views here. And the price is comical on all these rigs. At some point, they need to reduce sticker to better align with actual transaction prices. GM and Ford did this about twenty years ago for their trucks and luxury cars and it seems to have worked at that time.
BTW, it's "pluses." I point out because your material is worth it.
Request for the new Explorer once it comes out.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-19, 10:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Outstanding review. I agree with just about all views here. And the price is comical on all these rigs. At some point, they need to reduce sticker to better align with actual transaction prices. GM and Ford did this about twenty years ago for their trucks and luxury cars and it seems to have worked at that time.
BTW, it's "pluses." I point out because your material is worth it.
Thanks. I can state that it was a pleasure driving this truck.....though buying one, like with a number of FCA products, might be somewhat of a reliability risk.

Request for the new Explorer once it comes out.
OK.....I'll put it on the list. The current Explorer has been out since 2011, so it's high time for a redesign. As of now, the all-new 2020 version is slated for release in June of this year. Also due for 2020 (but the release date has not been set) is the all-new Bronco....I also plan to look at that, though I'm somewhat disappointed that it will not be a traditional 2-door Bronco, but have 4 doors. I was a fan of the two-door Bronco/Blazer look.

And even before I get a chance to test-drive either, I'm hoping to see them at the D.C. auto show in early April.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 11:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

OK.....I'll put it on the list. The current Explorer has been out since 2011, so it's high time for a redesign. As of now, the all-new 2020 version is slated for release in June of this year. Also due for 2020 (but the release date has not been set) is the all-new Bronco....I also plan to look at that, though I'm somewhat disappointed that it will not be a traditional 2-door Bronco, but have 4 doors. I was a fan of the two-door Bronco/Blazer look.

And even before I get a chance to test-drive either, I'm hoping to see them at the D.C. auto show in early April.
You're definitely not alone there, I've heard a LOT of people complain that it won't be a 2 door. And I agree with em. The Bronco was a 2 door short wheelbase monster. This new vehicle looks like it's basically going to be what the Explorer used to be(as evidenced by platform sharing with the Ranger).

Old 02-16-19, 02:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Thank you for review and nice read. A few things:

I will freely admit the new Ram is a seriously nice truck, but ultimately I don't trust FCA for long term reliability. This would not be my pick.

I would skip the E-Torque, as that sounds like a problem down the road. The Hemi, while not class leading numbers wise, is plenty enough for that truck. I've personally never experienced a Hemi V8 but I have no doubt it's great. However even with the lighter weight of the new generation it's still nowhere near the lead for acceleration times. The last I saw the new also lighter Silverado with the weaker 5.3 posted virtually identical times.

I don't think the Hemi engineers would care if it's not as refined as a Lexus V-8. I don't know why Dodge wont offer the 6.4 anymore, as it would be faster and has better numbers.

I love the inside as well, that huge touchscreen is impressive. I do disagree with your opinion though about the wood, I find it very, very attractive. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

And 62k is a good to great price for a loaded out 1500.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-16-19 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 07:41 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The 6.4L is honestly, probably too much engine for these trucks.

I bit the bullet on a 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 just before christmas. The interior sold me, and the exterior looks grew on me, specifically in the Delmonico Red Pear Tri-coat paint. Even weighing in at 5.992lbs, with the 8-speed and Hemi combo, coupled with 3.92 gears, this thing hauls ***. 0-60 is around 5.2 (in my truck at least timed with a GPS timer) and 0-100 is around 10 seconds. It'll only do 105 without an ECM swap (or sending mine out to diablosport to be unlocked-not happening) and it gets there as fast or faster than some sports cars.

^And that's with the more common 3.21 final drive.

The 5.7L is rated at 395hp/410 tq. The 6.4L is only rated @ 410/429 respectively. So it isn't that much higher, and much of the power is sapped up by the 3/4 ton trucks weighing thousands of pounds more than the 1500.

Tuned, with a muffler delete, and a K&N drop-in reuseable filter, you can hit 500hp no problem in the 2019's and let me tell you, for a half ton truck, thats more than enough.
Old 02-16-19, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
You're definitely not alone there, I've heard a LOT of people complain that it won't be a 2 door. And I agree with em. The Bronco was a 2 door short wheelbase monster. This new vehicle looks like it's basically going to be what the Explorer used to be(as evidenced by platform sharing with the Ranger).

I was wondering the same thing (how much, if any, the Explorer and Bronco will cannibalize each other's market)...but, before making any further comments on that issue, I want to wait and look at both of them myself. The Explorer, of course, has a big, dedicated owner-base that goes back many years....in fact, although the old Jeep Wagoneer proceeded it (in fewer numbers), the original Explorer defined the whole concept of the family-oriented SUV on a large scale.
Old 02-16-19, 08:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Tuned, with a muffler delete, and a K&N drop-in reuseable filter, you can hit 500hp no problem in the 2019's and let me tell you, for a half ton truck, thats more than enough.

I still remember those pictures (or video?) you posted of pulling a stump out of the ground....though I don't remember if it was a gas or diesel powerplant.
Old 02-16-19, 08:34 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, that was a diesel 1 ton, but Mopar's are monsters.
Old 02-16-19, 09:54 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Thank you for review and nice read. A few things:

I will freely admit the new Ram is a seriously nice truck, but ultimately I don't trust FCA for long term reliability. This would not be my pick.

I would skip the E-Torque, as that sounds like a problem down the road. The Hemi, while not class leading numbers wise, is plenty enough for that truck. I've personally never experienced a Hemi V8 but I have no doubt it's great. However even with the lighter weight of the new generation it's still nowhere near the lead for acceleration times. The last I saw the new also lighter Silverado with the weaker 5.3 posted virtually identical times.

I don't think the Hemi engineers would care if it's not as refined as a Lexus V-8. I don't know why Dodge wont offer the 6.4 anymore, as it would be faster and has better numbers.

I love the inside as well, that huge touchscreen is impressive. I do disagree with your opinion though about the wood, I find it very, very attractive. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

And 62k is a good to great price for a loaded out 1500.
I agree with you on all these points. A GM 5.3 will keep up with a 5.7 Hemi and a 5.0 Coyote will outrun it, at least in all the testing I've seen.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The 6.4L is honestly, probably too much engine for these trucks.

I bit the bullet on a 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 just before christmas. The interior sold me, and the exterior looks grew on me, specifically in the Delmonico Red Pear Tri-coat paint. Even weighing in at 5.992lbs, with the 8-speed and Hemi combo, coupled with 3.92 gears, this thing hauls ***. 0-60 is around 5.2 (in my truck at least timed with a GPS timer) and 0-100 is around 10 seconds. It'll only do 105 without an ECM swap (or sending mine out to diablosport to be unlocked-not happening) and it gets there as fast or faster than some sports cars.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sNT1Op0NmD8

^And that's with the more common 3.21 final drive.

The 5.7L is rated at 395hp/410 tq. The 6.4L is only rated @ 410/429 respectively. So it isn't that much higher, and much of the power is sapped up by the 3/4 ton trucks weighing thousands of pounds more than the 1500.

If it fits and doesn't weigh too much, there's no such thing as too much engine.

I also suspect that if they ever brought the 6.4 to the 1500, it would have a higher rating. It's pretty common to derate the engines that go into the HD trucks for longevity with the loads they haul. When Ford still offered the 6.2 in the F-150, it was rated at 411/434 whereas in the Super Duty it was rated at 385/405. GM's 6.0 was rated higher in the 1500 Vortec Max than it was in the 2500/3500 trucks.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was wondering the same thing (how much, if any, the Explorer and Bronco will cannibalize each other's market)...but, before making any further comments on that issue, I want to wait and look at both of them myself. The Explorer, of course, has a big, dedicated owner-base that goes back many years....in fact, although the old Jeep Wagoneer proceeded it (in fewer numbers), the original Explorer defined the whole concept of the family-oriented SUV on a large scale.
Hard to tell. Among casual owners who just want an SUV for the style or cargo? It'll probably come down to appearance or pricing.

Among purpose driven buyers? They're not even in the same class. A unibody CUV doesn't even hope to compete against a body on frame SUV when it comes to off-roading.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited