Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Advice - Kia/Hyundai vs Ford vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 06:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Car Advice - Kia/Hyundai vs Ford vs ?

hey all,

i am in the market for a used, reliable car. my budget is around 12k and i'm looking at models around 2015 and up. i have narrowed my search down to the ford focus or fiesta and the hyundai elantra and a variety of kia models. this is going to be the transportation for my mother, so i need sound choices. please help me narrow down the current choices or add any new ones that fit the bill.

thanks, all!

David
Old 09-18-18, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

My brother has an Elantra hatch. He seems to like it a lot. He also got himself a Santa Fe.
Old 09-18-18, 07:08 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Kia 7 years warranty. Ford 2 years. None of the both are known for absolute reliability, but they are okay-ish and you can find lucky draws in both of them.
Old 09-18-18, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Ford will soon be dropping the American-market Focus and Fiesta...in fact, virtually all of their American-market passenger-cars except the Mustang. With the pressure to move them out the door, you might even be able to get a brand-new Fiesta for not much more than what you are budgeting, especially if you and your Mom are willing to give up some options. By law, when vehicles are dropped, parts have to still be available for them for a certain number of years (at least to cover the warranty period). Note, however, that the Focus and Fiesta's dual-clutch automatic transmission (I assume your Mom will not want to shift her own gears) has seen the source of numerous customer complaints.
Old 09-18-18, 07:24 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Go with the Hyundai.. not sure what the $12k will get you, but Elantra seems to be the more tolerable choice.

I doubt 2017 Elantra is in the $12k range, but it's a fine car (my buddy has one)
Old 09-18-18, 11:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thank you all for your suggestions and advice. it seems as though kia/hyundai is winning this round. keep the suggestions and advice coming should there be more to share. greatly appreciated!
Old 09-18-18, 11:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford will soon be dropping the American-market Focus and Fiesta...in fact, virtually all of their American-market passenger-cars except the Mustang. With the pressure to move them out the door, you might even be able to get a brand-new Fiesta for not much more than what you are budgeting, especially if you and your Mom are willing to give up some options. By law, when vehicles are dropped, parts have to still be available for them for a certain number of years (at least to cover the warranty period). Note, however, that the Focus and Fiesta's dual-clutch automatic transmission (I assume your Mom will not want to shift her own gears) has seen the source of numerous customer complaints.
hi mike,

what specifically is wrong with the transmissions in these vehicles?

thanks,

jordi
Old 09-18-18, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
hi mike,

what specifically is wrong with the transmissions in these vehicles?

thanks,

jordi

These dual-clutch transmissions have issues with how they shift from one gear to another, shift in and out of gear, and with slips/flares. There are many web sites dealing with these problems....and a class-action suit. Not every vehicle, of course, is necessarily going to have problems, but the general rate of problems with this transmission is much higher than average. A number of them have been replaced under warranty.
Old 09-18-18, 12:07 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
These dual-clutch transmissions have issues with how they shift from one gear to another, shift in and out of gear, and with slips/flares. There are many web sites dealing with these problems....and a class-action suit. Not every vehicle, of course, is necessarily going to have problems, but the general rate of problems with this transmission is much higher than average. A number of them have been replaced under warranty.
thank you for informing me. would you recommend a kia forte or a hyundai elantra? or would you recommend another vehicle entirely?
Old 09-18-18, 12:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

what about something from chevrolet? e.g. the cruze.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-18-18 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 12:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I'm seeing a few 2015 Mazda3 sedans near me, with about 40k miles, for $11-12k. Also some Jettas if you would consider one of those. Altimas can be a good second hand pickup as well.

To your original question, I would most likely pick up a gently used Kia or Hyundai over a Ford.
Old 09-18-18, 12:27 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you time it right, I've seen kia souls go for $13.7-$15 new with 5 years 60k bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k powertrain... worth a thought.
Old 09-18-18, 12:32 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm seeing a few 2015 Mazda3 sedans near me, with about 40k miles, for $11-12k. Also some Jettas if you would consider one of those. Altimas can be a good second hand pickup as well.

To your original question, I would most likely pick up a gently used Kia or Hyundai over a Ford.

i forgot about the mazda3. i would think, however, that jettas would be a pain to maintain, although i'm not certain.
Old 09-18-18, 12:34 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rmason
If you time it right, I've seen kia souls go for $13.7-$15 new with 5 years 60k bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k powertrain... worth a thought.
thank you for the suggestion, although my mom has expressed her distaste for the kia soul. it's an acquired taste, i suppose.
Old 09-18-18, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
thank you for informing me. would you recommend a kia forte or a hyundai elantra? or would you recommend another vehicle entirely?
Hard to go wrong with a Kia or Hyundai product, especially when you consider the 10/100 and 5/60 warranties. My brother had a Kia Soul for several years, and loved it. New ones start at just above 16K, and you can always look for a year or two old CPO (Certified previously-Owned). On used ones, though, the 10/100 part of the drivetrain warranty is only transferable to a buyer in the immediate family (mother, father, brother, sister), but the 5/60 remains, including there drivetrain....plus whatever CPO warranty you have. The reason I mention the Soul is that it combines the features of a small economy sedan with the roomy carrying space of a small crossover. The newer versions of the Soul, though not luxury vehicles by any mean,s are significantly more comfortable and refined in their driving manners than the original ones. The only thing I dislike on them is the hard seat-cushions.....so have your Mom try out the seats on a test-drive.

(Oops......just as I posted this, I noticed your comment that your Mom did not like the Soul). But, as noted, Hyundai and Kia have several other small vehicles in that range.

Some other options have already been suggested by other posters, but if it is the absolute lowest price you want on a brand-new vehicle, both the Nissan Versa sedan and the Mitsubishi Mirage start in the 12-14K range brand new, but your Mom would probably not like them. The Mirage is little more than basic transportation at its most basic, and the Mitsubishi dealer network, for sales and service, has become quite sparse in the U.S. The Versa is larger and roomier inside than the Mirage (particularly in the back seat), but it is cheaply made, stark inside, and unrefined on the road. A slightly better option in that range would be the Chevrolet Spark or Sonic, which start in the 13-15K range brand new, and you would have a better chance of avoiding the potential transmission problems in the equivalent Ford Fiesta and Focus. The Spark is quite small, though, and may be too small for your Mom.....she'd have to judge that. If long-term reliability is the main issue, you can also look at a new Toyota Yaris, which starts just above 15K, and would have the Toyota reliability. Keep in mind, though, that these quoted prices are for base versions without options, sometimes without the destination charge, and, if bought brand-new, would likely have to be special-ordered, as El-Strippo models are usually not readily kept in stock at dealerships.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Car Advice - Kia/Hyundai vs Ford vs ?