Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

glad when people are knowledgeable in the car business

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 11:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default glad when people are knowledgeable in the car business

And we can actually learn something to boot. Last Sat. I went to get my LS430 inspected early (PA safety and emissions). I went with the cheapest anywhere, $29.95. This turned out to be $42 out the door with $7 sticker fee, sales tax, and yes legal, shop charges. To put it in perspective, with a coupon, Toyota charges $76 out the door (the tactic is free safety inspection with paid emissions). Last Dec., I asked BMW for a discount, so he said we'll work something out. Took off in the loaner, got a text 40 min. later your car is ready and the charge was $40. That is a made up price but everything is negotiable.

Anyway the guy seemed knowledgeable last year, so I asked him, what's the deal with Conoco in South Jersey? They seem to be popping up and replacing Citgo?

He states, oh, they are very aggressive in this area. If you own a station, you are under contract to sell someone's gasoline. Once you go out of contract, you can sell anybody's gasoline. It so happens that Conoco is offering fuel at 3 cents below terminal price. Assuming you are paying terminal right now, and sell 120k gal/mo., that is $3,600/mo. of extra revenue.

Gotcha. Next question, how come I pulled into one of the remaining Citgos, and they got 4 grades, 93 ultra, 91 premium, 89 mid, and 87 regular, is that bogus? I thought Ultra 93 is Sunoco?

He says not bogus, anybody can have 4 grades, and newer stations are often setup with 4 tanks. If not 4 tanks, then it is blended at the station. 89 is nothing more than 40% 93, and 60% 87.

I think this guy was telling me the straight goods as I fact checked. Good to see someone out there actually knows what they are saying. And this inspection place? They aren't poking around looking for work. The place is packed with customers due to the $29.95 coupon. He actually said, "Mr. Fontaine, I'm really sorry about the wait. We had one tech not show up and we have to get a Range Rover out of the shop, before we can pull another vehicle in. We should have you out of here by 9:40."

See his attitude, have me out of there. Objective is in and out, not find things to overcharge as repairs. Of course she passed knock on wood.

Here's the fact checking on the octane blending, and it was dead on

Old 09-20-18, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
A I asked him, what's the deal with Conoco in South Jersey? They seem to be popping up and replacing Citgo?
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but one point needs to be made about Citgo gas. If you have (or had) no qualms about buying it, fine, but I avoid it like the plague. That company is state-owned in Venezuela, and every dollar in profit they make here, after taxes, goes (or went) to support the corrupt governments of Chavez and Maduro.

Joe Kennedy managed to negotiate a program wth them where low-income residents of New England, during the winter, get free or reduced-cost heating oil for their furnaces. However, whether that program is done by the company simply for PR/propaganda or a genuine concern for those without heat is debatable, as Maduro, like Chavez before him, is a Communist who despises the U.S.
Old 09-20-18, 07:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but one point needs to be made about Citgo gas. If you have (or had) no qualms about buying it, fine, but I avoid it like the plague. That company is state-owned in Venezuela, and every dollar in profit they make here, after taxes, goes (or went) to support the corrupt governments of Chavez and Maduro.

Joe Kennedy managed to negotiate a program wth them where low-income residents of New England, during the winter, get free or reduced-cost heating oil for their furnaces. However, whether that program is done by the company simply for PR/propaganda or a genuine concern for those without heat is debatable, as Maduro, like Chavez before him, is a Communist who despises the U.S.
I have heard that. I do wonder at times, though, how far must we go to be politically correct. When I was a little boy, we lived in Boston. My parents told me (I must have been 3 or 4) that when I saw the Citgo trimark sign changing, I'd laugh hysterically, and they always thought it was cute. It has landmark status so it will never be replaced. Since I don't have any real opinion, I would say the sign should be preserved based on its history?

But the guy I mention above, last year, was the tipping point for me to seek out Top Tier gas. He seems to know what he's talking about (he sells Exxon but stated he believes Shell is the best).
Old 09-20-18, 08:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1, I never go to Citgo.

Also, I think Conoco was awarded Citgo assets recently https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...eposition.html
Old 09-20-18, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
But the guy I mention above, last year, was the tipping point for me to seek out Top Tier gas. He seems to know what he's talking about (he sells Exxon but stated he believes Shell is the best).
Agreed that Shell is one of the best, if not the best, when it comes to detergent additives. Chevron, with its Techron/Techroline package,is also excellent, but, for some reason, they have stopped selling in the NoVA/D.C. suburbs where I live. Giant Food (supermarkets) operates in Pennsylvania, where you live, but I don't know if they have any local stores in your area.....you can punch in your zip code on their store-finder and find out.

https://giantfood.com

If you shop at Giant Food with the company Bonus Card (I have one), you can earn a discount on Shell gas as points are accumulated with purchases and use of the card (assuming that they offer that program in Pennsylvania like they do here in the D.C. area). It is similar to the program that Safeway uses for discounts at its company-owned gas stations....only Shell is a much better brand.
Old 09-20-18, 12:28 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed that Shell is one of the best, if not the best, when it comes to detergent additives. Chevron, with its Techron/Techroline package,is also excellent, but, for some reason, they have stopped selling in the NoVA/D.C. suburbs where I live. Giant Food (supermarkets) operates in Pennsylvania, where you live, but I don't know if they have any local stores in your area.....you can punch in your zip code on their store-finder and find out.

https://giantfood.com

If you shop at Giant Food with the company Bonus Card (I have one), you can earn a discount on Shell gas as points are accumulated with purchases and use of the card (assuming that they offer that program in Pennsylvania like they do here in the D.C. area). It is similar to the program that Safeway uses for discounts at its company-owned gas stations....only Shell is a much better brand.
We do have a ton of Giants and they sell their own gas (unbranded)....and the oddity is we never seem to spend much more than enough to get 30 cents off a gallon. The thing is I can buy gas in NJ where I work, and it's 30+ cents a gallon less, so all I ever do is to get gas for the lawn mower or snow blower from Giant. One time we did all that double points etc., and we brought both cars. Well the rules is it's only for one car, but ok for multiple containers. So the attendant shut it off and ended our transaction.

The only reason I went to Citgo is it's top tier and cheaper....but so is Conoco and Philips 66. If I had my way I'd always get Costco, they turn over so much fuel and it's cheaper and top tier...but a little out of the way. $2.979 yesterday for 93....

edit p.s. this thread has turned me off to Citgo, so I won't likely be buying from the last remaining possible one near work. Interesting though that sign in Boston is a landmark and protected. Again my favorite gas is Costco, price, and Top Tier...Shell is just too expensive for me....(though we filled up 87 Shell like there was no tomorrow in Manassas VA, dirt cheap)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-20-18 at 12:32 PM.