Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should 50k service have been done when sold L/certified at 49,919 miles? (plus more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 09:43 PM
sjboyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should 50k service have been done when sold L/certified at 49,919 miles? (plus more)

Greetings and thanks in advance for your help,

I recently purchased a 2014 L/certified ES350 from Kuni Lexus in Colorado. Are the following items supposed to be corrected as part of the Lexus L/certification? I’m not trying to get something I’m not due or nit pick. I simply want to ensure that I’m getting everything I'm supposed to with a Lexus L/certification.

Items in question
- 50k service not done (car sold as l/certified at 49,913+ miles)
- No car mats installed
- Brake pads at 6mm
- Rear quarter panels not matching up with bumper at edges
- Loose sun visor clip
- Dings in window chrome and door sill chrome
- Gear shift chrome bubbling/flaking up in small section
- No first aid kit (minor but if it's supposed to be there why not get it)
- Front bumper chips all over
- Pen sized puncture in seat upholstery
- Bad A/C odor on startup
- Upholstered pocket on back of front seat nicked up
- Fading/Discoloration on passenger arm rest
- Inspection Report (161 Pt.) not signed completely (has places for signatures for Service Manager, Pre-Owned Manager, Customer but only signed by technician)

I have a copy of the dealer 161 checklist (SEE ATTACHED, "PE2131629.pdf") showing ‘Pass” on everything but I lost faith when they delivered the car without floor mats telling me, "mats aren't part of it" but inspection item #36 says they should be installed.What exactly are the “Lexus Standards?” What does the technician look for when determining a Pass/Fail? Is there a manual they follow with these details? I've done exhaustive research and can’t find any answers.

Thanks again for anything you can help with.
-Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PE2131629.pdf (1.22 MB, 52 views)
Old 09-24-18, 10:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

No Carfax? When I purchased 3 year old CPO Audi SQ5 odo. reading was like 40 some miles. They did 50K service done.
I have bought Lexus legit CPO 2015 RX-450h once was traded for SQ5. IMO, this doesn't sound like legit Lexus CPO vehicle.
Dealer gives a certificate for CPO looking like an award. I always trust the dealer. When tech. ticked off an item I know they
did check the item. Otherwise the tech. lied. Then I don't deal with the dealer any more. There are other dealers, other choices.
When you pick up a CPO vehicle head office sends letter to confirm with thanks.

Last edited by Htony; 09-25-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 04:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we bought a certified Lexus last (albeit an RX300 a couple years) the salesman handed us the checklist and we were able to go up to the car and voice any concerns we had when comparing the car vs. the checklist. Had him take note of stuff we wanted addressed and those were done to close the sale. I would say you should have mentioned all of these issues during the purchase process, but if you have a nice dealer they might throw you a bone and work with you.

I think a decent amount of your complaints are a little nitpicky, as some wear and tear can be expected on a used car, but thats on the purchaser to decide whether it is appropriate to them. The dealer isn't expected to get these vehicles back to brand new condition, used is used, even if it is "L/ Certified"
Old 09-26-18, 06:06 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I think a decent amount of your complaints are a little nitpicky, as some wear and tear can be expected on a used car, but that's on the purchaser to decide whether it is appropriate to them. The dealer isn't expected to get these vehicles back to brand new condition, used is used, even if it is "L/ Certified".
I agree. sjboyle, did you purchase it sight unseen? If not, a lot of those wear and tear items should have been brought up before you closed the sale to attempt to negotiate a better price. I bolded the stuff that I would consider "wear and tear." Everything else (aside fromt he 50k service) is stuff I would have had the dealer resolve before closing the sale.

Originally Posted by sjboyle
- 50k service not done (car sold as l/certified at 49,913+ miles)
- No car mats installed
- Brake pads at 6mm
- Rear quarter panels not matching up with bumper at edges
- Loose sun visor clip
- Dings in window chrome and door sill chrome
- Gear shift chrome bubbling/flaking up in small section

- No first aid kit (minor but if it's supposed to be there why not get it)
- Front bumper chips all over
- Pen sized puncture in seat upholstery

- Bad A/C odor on startup
- Upholstered pocket on back of front seat nicked up
- Fading/Discoloration on passenger arm rest
- Inspection Report (161 Pt.) not signed completely (has places for signatures for Service Manager, Pre-Owned Manager, Customer but only signed by technician)

When was the inspection done? If it was done after the sale, "L/Certification" is basically a vehicle safety inspection and professional cleaning, it's nothing like a CPO. That said, this is a definition of "L/Certification" that I found on Google from Lexus of Cool Springs:

"L/Certification means that a vehicle has been thoroughly inspected, reconditioned and expertly vetted by a professional, Lexus-certified technician. It means peace of mind and the assurance that the pre-owned vehicle you're considering contains no surprises."

I would go back to them and have all italicized items looked at, as these would be considered "surprises" in my book. The 50k service is a non-issue, either the previous owner pays to have it done, or you do.
Old 09-26-18, 08:19 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I agree. sjboyle, did you purchase it sight unseen? If not, a lot of those wear and tear items should have been brought up before you closed the sale to attempt to negotiate a better price. I bolded the stuff that I would consider "wear and tear." Everything else (aside fromt he 50k service) is stuff I would have had the dealer resolve before closing the sale.

When was the inspection done? If it was done after the sale, "L/Certification" is basically a vehicle safety inspection and professional cleaning, it's nothing like a CPO. That said, this is a definition of "L/Certification" that I found on Google from Lexus of Cool Springs:

"L/Certification means that a vehicle has been thoroughly inspected, reconditioned and expertly vetted by a professional, Lexus-certified technician. It means peace of mind and the assurance that the pre-owned vehicle you're considering contains no surprises."

I would go back to them and have all italicized items looked at, as these would be considered "surprises" in my book. The 50k service is a non-issue, either the previous owner pays to have it done, or you do.
I would also mention the floor mats and bad odor. At least he can get a cabin air filter out of it.
Old 09-26-18, 08:31 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree that these items should have been addressed before purchase, and some items may be picky, from what Lexus says re the 161 point inspection on their certified related website seems most of the items should have been repaired during certification process:

"Each L/Certified by Lexus vehicle undergoes a comprehensive inspection including: engine, exterior, interior, electronics, safety devices, undercarriage and a road test. During the inspection process, we focus on the details. Specially trained technicians inspect every aspect of the pre-owned vehicle, right down to the first aid kit, spare tire and glovebox light."

Otherwise, it is like the TV commercial where the security guard at the bank just points out that the bank is being robbed and doesn't do anything about it.
Old 09-26-18, 08:40 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

For the record, bad A/c odor is usually due to a problem with excessive condensation in the HVAC system, resulting in the growth of mold in the air filter. Replacing the filter is a band-aid fix, so OP, make sure the dealer addresses the root issue, takes apart the HVAC system and cleans it, and replaces the air filter.
Old 09-26-18, 11:14 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't feel you're nitpicking. You paid a premium for a certified ES and Lexus should have delivered on that. That being said, a lot of the issues you mention could have been caught before you signed the paperwork. I would have used these issues to my advantage during negotiation.

I sometimes feel Lexus and other manufactures just slap the certified label on cars without doing much, if anything, to them. The dealers figure Lexus will cover the cost after the fact with the warranty, as the dealer is reimbursed by Lexus corporate for warranty repairs.
Old 09-26-18, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

50,000 miles is twice around the equator. a car's not going to be like new.
Old 09-26-18, 01:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, you should have mentioned all of these things BEFORE the purchase, not after.
Now your only option is to go in and beg them to help you. Most of these items are normal wear & tear anyway.
Old 09-28-18, 10:44 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

This sounds like a car that received a pass on it’s inspection despite having issues. I saw a sales manager push a wrecked RX through as an L-Certified car once. The car had 30,000 miles and wasn’t even three years old and the bumpers were crooked, amongst other problems. It’s not something that happens often at Lexus but dealers will do whatever it takes to make a lease return certified.

It sounds like a similar deal. These are things that should have been noted during the inspection. The car can still pass with these flaws but I would bring the car back and voice your concerns.