Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 02:20 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some valid points. I think infotainment systems will continue to evolve. Android is going to power Nissan in the future.
GUYS, I'VE MIGRATED OUR HEARTY DISCUSSION TO HERE.

BitKahuna, please reinstate (in the new thread) any comments you've deleted here.
Old 09-26-18, 02:22 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some valid points. I think infotainment systems will continue to evolve. Android is going to power Nissan in the future.
Yes. Android is going to power Nissan. In that same article - BMW and MB double downed on their infotainment systems. They admitted to refuse to get 3rd party help and double the funding for their own systems.

There is where I think the Germans are trying to draw the line. They want something that separates themselves from the masses.
Old 09-26-18, 02:25 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I found the bloomberg report which says this is a done deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-in-its-cars
Requires a quote:

The addition of Android Auto may attract customers who had stayed away from Toyota vehicles because of the lack of connectivity.
Old 09-26-18, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
As of right now - the only thing useful about Apple Car Play, I'll admit is Waze.
For me, that is not the case. I listen to a number of podcasts, one of them is PBS News Hours among all sorts of others. Although I cannot speak about other systems except for my Toyota system, there is no way to rewind or forward 15 sec or 30 sec like you can on the iPhone screen. The podcast add which I don't use would allow you to this. So right now, there is no fix that I know of that will allow my Toyota to do this.
Old 09-26-18, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

There is where I think the Germans are trying to draw the line. They want something that separates themselves from the masses.
No disagreement there, I see the value in making themselves different. But I would be willing to be they would lose.
Old 09-26-18, 02:46 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

No disagreement there, I see the value in making themselves different. But I would be willing to be they would lose.
They just realized that charging someone thousands of dollars at no cost to themselves is uber good for their stockholders. Like I had mentioned in the other thread, at least in the case of Audi MMI, it hasn't changed in many, many years. It's a sunk cost for Audi and they're just making pure profits at this point by bundling it with the awesome Bang & Olufsen upgrade. Just like I'm stuck with Lexus Enform because I really wanted the Mark Levinson system (which is awesome, btw).
Old 09-26-18, 03:33 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Fair enough. Prior to iOS 12 Apple Car Play is crap - no Google Maps or Waze. As of right now - the only thing useful about Apple Car Play, I'll admit is Waze.

People here think I'm against Apple Car Play but they think that because I say one thing negative - they go off. My point has always been Apple Car Play is a good to be addition to the car's standard system. But at times - Apple Car Play can feel useless to a good infotainment system, such as the BMW iDrive.
Especially if you live in an area where Waze isn't effective.

Yes. An older navigation system, as the car ages, gets primitive. That's how car companies get you to buy cars.
What a lot of people are thinking is Apple Car Play will stay the same forever! I will keep getting updates even when my car is 15 years old. Apple Car Play has been out for 4 years. I feel like sooner or later, they'll introduce a Apple Car Play 2.0 that can only be used on newer cars.

We need Waze full integration onto car's infotainment system. I don't think its worth it have to switch between two systems to use Waze. I think that's primitive too.

But nice chatting with you Jill. You have your opinions and I have mind. I just personally feel to write off a car for not being able to use Apple Car Play is extreme. Just like how I think my family - who refuses to buy anything other Japanese cars - is extreme.
What is it that a "good infotainment system" can do that iOS can't?

P.S. It might take Apple 4 years to release CarPlay 2.0, but in the interim, you'd better belief ACME Auto has released Infotainment v 1,2,3 and 4, and guess what, they're all the same!

Last edited by nitroracer; 09-26-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 03:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nitroracer
What is it that a "good infotainment system" can do that iOS can't?

P.S. It might take Apple 4 years to release CarPlay 2.0, but in the interim, you'd better belief ACME Auto has released Infotainment v 1,2,3 and 4, and guess what, they're all the same!
The thing is - Apple Car Play can do majority of what a "good infotainment system" can do. It just doesn't have the fluidity of some of the systems, such as the iDrive.
Plus it can't do the following:
1) You can't split screen using Apple Car Play and the standard infotainment system.
2) You can't move the maps to the gauge cluster.
3) For the Lexus ES - you can't use Amazon Alexa to control Apple Car Play. Alexa is hands down better than Siri.

My point is - you keep thinking Apple Car Play is going to the best 4 years down the line. However - its possible another version of Apple Car Play will come out and you can't get it unless its in a newer vehicle that supports Car Play 2.0.
Yes - all infotainment systems from car makers will stay the same until the next generation.
But Apple Car Play stays the same as well. The UI is the same and it rarely gets updated. The only update is the specific apps that gets mirrored on.
You keep bringing up iOS which is strange. Because we aren't using "iOS" per-say in Apple Car Play. All Apple Car Play does is mirror some apps you get on your phone to your infotainment screen. In theory - we are using 3rd party applications rather than iOS.

For me - I rather not plug in my phone day in and day out just to use Apple Car Play. I rather just get a car with a good infotainment system and just keep my phone in my pocket. Besides - it helps my phone's battery lifespan too. Consistently plugging in your phone as a charge and using Apple Car Play isn't good for the battery.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 09-26-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:11 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

The thing is - Apple Car Play can do majority of what a "good infotainment system" can do. It just doesn't have the fluidity of some of the systems, such as the iDrive.
1) You can't split screen using Apple Car Play and the standard infotainment system.
3) For the Lexus ES - you can't use Amazon Alexa to control Apple Car Play. Alexa is hands down better than Siri.
I don't care about 1,2 or 3. By all means, fully integrate an Amazon phone into the car, then. Anything is better than a junky proprietary infotainment.

My point is - you keep thinking Apple Car Play is going to the best 4 years down the line. However - its possible another version of Apple Car Play will come out and you can't get it unless its in a newer vehicle that supports Car Play 2.0.
Never said that, simply that it was easily **upgraded**, and more importantly, it mirrored iOS which is already light years ahead of said boondoggle infotainment systems.

Yes - all infotainment systems from car makers will stay the same until the next generation.
But Apple Car Play stays the same as well. The UI is the same and it rarely gets updated. The only update is the specific apps that gets mirrored on.
Apple CarPlay has been around for a microsecond. When it's more widely adopted, no refresh will be needed. The OS already exists on the phone and can be quickly mirrored on your dash.

You keep bringing up iOS which is strange. Because we aren't using "iOS" per-say in Apple Car Play. All Apple Car Play does is mirror some apps you get on your phone to your infotainment screen. In theory - we are using 3rd party applications rather than iOS.
Have you been listening? It's precisely full smartphone functionality that everyone in these forums want. If not for legacy infotainment systems, we'd already have achieved this.

For me - I rather not plug in my phone day in and day out just to use Apple Car Play. I rather just get a car with a good infotainment system and just keep my phone in my pocket. Besides - it helps my phone's battery lifespan too. Consistently plugging in your phone as a charge and using Apple Car Play isn't good for the battery.
That's a joke, right? *Pays $6500 for infotainment system*.... *complains about iphone battery*

Idk what "good for the battery" means. Modern lithium ion batteries will outlast your infotainment system, I can tell you that much. At any rate, it's relatively cheap to replace if that's your concern.
Old 09-26-18, 04:13 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Great, now that we've gotten that out of the way. What can iOS do that proprietary infotainment system can't? Literally everything else.
Old 09-26-18, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes. Android is going to power Nissan. In that same article - BMW and MB double downed on their infotainment systems. They admitted to refuse to get 3rd party help and double the funding for their own systems.

both BMW and MB use some 3rd party OS as a base, just like Nissan will use Android. TMC used QNX and has moved to Automotive Grade Linux with new systems.
Old 09-26-18, 04:34 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't care about 1,2 or 3. By all means, fully integrate an Amazon phone into the car, then. Anything is better than a junky proprietary infotainment.

Never said that, simply that it was easily **upgraded**, and more importantly, it mirrored iOS which is already light years ahead of said boondoggle infotainment systems.

Apple CarPlay has been around for a microsecond. When it's more widely adopted, no refresh will be needed. The OS already exists on the phone and can be quickly mirrored on your dash.

Have you been listening? It's precisely full smartphone functionality that everyone in these forums want. If not for legacy infotainment systems, we'd already have achieved this.

That's a joke, right? *Pays $6500 for infotainment system*.... *complains about iphone battery*

Idk what "good for the battery" means. Modern lithium ion batteries will outlast your infotainment system, I can tell you that much. At any rate, it's relatively cheap to replace if that's your concern.
Yeah. I don't care about Audiobook and Waze. I rather have split screen function and have my maps on my gauges.
Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean other people don't.

It does not mirror iOS. It mirrors specific apps from iOS. That's a key difference. Just because something is mirrored off of a phone doesn't mean its "light-years" ahead of a car infotainment system. I'll admit - its "light-years" ahead to some infotainment systems, such as Subaru's system. However, compared to iDrive and MBUX - Apple Car Play is a joke. Ever wonder why majority of people that have BMW and MB don't use it? Check the forums.

That's foolish. A refresh will be needed. You think they are going to run the same UI 20 years from now? If iPhones even still exist then. Lol. Apple Car Play 2.0 will come with an updated UI and better integration once car companies allow more. Once this happens, the Apple Car Play now will be considered outdated compared to the new one. Its capitalism. It'll happen.

"Everyone". Not everyone wants full iPhone integration. Majority of the people on CL wants Apple Car Play as an option - not full integration. Besides - full integration will never come because car companies will want to retain control of their infotainment sector.

Ermm... Car companies are smart. Navigational packages are part of a bigger pack now. I would get the navigation package to get the bigger screen and other options. If the navigation system happens to be good, I'll use it over Apple Car Play (like the system in BMW). So if I already have it, why would I burn out my Phone battery?

I'm outside of my car more often than inside my car. I think having a longer battery life for my phone is more important.

Great, now that we've gotten that out of the way. What can iOS do that proprietary infotainment system can't? Literally everything else.
What can Apple Car Play do that car infotainment systems can't?
Waze (Only including Waze because its a map that tells you about cop locations)
AudioBook

That's about it. Standard infotainment systems can already make cars for you, text for you, can use Pandora if connected and etc...

Please to enlighten me what else Apple Car Play can do that iDrive can't besides those 2 things?

So far - the best argument from the mandatory Apple Car Play crowd is Waze. Other than that - everything is pretty much null.
Old 09-26-18, 04:36 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
both BMW and MB use some 3rd party OS as a base, just like Nissan will use Android. TMC used QNX and has moved to Automotive Grade Linux with new systems.
Yeah. They have to use a 3rd party OS. Its because BMW and MB doesn't make their own OS.

My comment was referencing how some people want the standard infotainment system to go completely iOS and Android. IE: Remove MBUX, iDrive, Enform and etc... Then provide only a phone mirroring service as the infotainment system. MB and BMW will never allow that as they doubling down on creation of their own infotainment system.
Old 09-26-18, 04:40 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 456 Posts

Bippu, it's clear now you maybe have some misunderstandings how actually CarPlay (and AA) actually work....

In an earlier post above, you suggested that the apps weren't running on the phone but effectively running on the in-car system. You said "The thing is - we aren't using iOS. Are we? The iPhone is mirrored into the screen of the infotainment system. Its the car's infotainment system that is mirroring specific parts of iOS"

Now, you're saying "because we aren't using "iOS" per-say (SIC) in Apple Car Play. All Apple Car Play does is mirror some apps you get on your phone to your infotainment screen. In theory - we are using 3rd party applications rather than iOS."

None of that is accurate.... CarPlay uses your in-car display and your in-car interface (the touchscreen interface on that display, for example) as a presentation layer/UI for apps that run on the phone. Apps optimized for CarPlay a) run solely on the phone and b) can't run without iOS. It would be like claiming a copy of Microsoft Word on your PC isn't running on top of Windows...

As we've said all along, CP is all about scalability (offloading processing and feature delivery to the phone), longevity (your phone, its OS and the underlying software are all easily upgradable) and choice - it's better to have more options open to you than fewer. Your car's infotainment system can't easily (or at all) offer these benefits.

As an aside, there is actually an API to enable automakers to allow control of non-infotainment systems via a CarPlay UI/UX. Via this API, your car could, for example, control things like climate controls using CP too. CP (and AA) aren't only for infotainment... At some point you will see a vehicle where every in-car feature can be optionally controlled via CP/AA.

Last edited by swajames; 09-26-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swajames
Bippu, it's clear now you maybe have some misunderstandings how actually CarPlay (and AA) actually work....

In an earlier post above, you suggested that the apps weren't running on the phone but effectively running on the in-car system. You said "The thing is - we aren't using iOS. Are we? The iPhone is mirrored into the screen of the infotainment system. Its the car's infotainment system that is mirroring specific parts of iOS"

Now, you're saying "because we aren't using "iOS" per-say (SIC) in Apple Car Play. All Apple Car Play does is mirror some apps you get on your phone to your infotainment screen. In theory - we are using 3rd party applications rather than iOS."

None of that is accurate.... CarPlay uses your in-car display and your in-car interface (the touchscreen interface on that display, for example) as a presentation layer/UI for apps that run on the phone. Apps optimized for CarPlay a) run solely on the phone and b) can't run without iOS. It would be like claiming a copy of Microsoft Word on your PC isn't running on top of Windows...

As we've said all along, CP is all about scalability (offloading processing and feature delivery to the phone), longevity (your phone, its OS and the underlying software are all easily upgradable) and choice - it's better to have more options open to you than fewer. Your car's infotainment system can't easily (or at all) offer these benefits.

As an aside, there is actually an API to enable automakers to allow control of non-infotainment systems via a CarPlay UI/UX. Via this API, your car could, for example, control things like climate controls using CP too. CP (and AA) aren't only for infotainment... At some point you will see a vehicle where every in-car feature can be optionally controlled via CP/AA.
That's literally what I'm trying to say. Unless you are not understanding what I'm saying.

All Apple Car Play is a mirror function. Select applications from your phone will be mirrored onto your in-car system. Then you control your phone with your car controls. That's all Apple Car Play is. Its using part of your phone on your screen. I say part of your phone and select apps because you are unable to use apps that aren't Car Play authorized.

We are already seeing that right now. Majority of vehicles will have the option to have CP/AA. The general debate here majority of people on CL seem think CP/AA is better than all standard infotainment systems while I believe some systems are still better.

Quick Reply: Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment