Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 05:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

2) How, if at all, can we modify, disable or hack our AA integrated head units so as to deny access to vehicle OBD2 CAN-BUS data streams? Or would this simply be a non-issue if we just don't connect the service to our cellular phones in the first place?
After the big debates in these threads started, I watched a few You Tube reviews. I believe one of the reviews for mentioned that A/A accesses the car GPS unit for the aftermarket units.

1) If I simply never set up AA will there be no active cellular data connection capable of using my vehicle's OBD2 CAN-BUS data in the first place?

I don't believe so on older cars. But on newer Toyota's, I believe some of them are always connected to Toyota

Old 09-29-18, 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Are you able to merge the relevant pages over to the new thread? Without them, that new thread is DOA bc it has no context. I guess what Im saying is, if you want to separate CP/AA vs Infotainment and Toyota/Lexus + SmartPhones, then you should physically do that.
thank you for your suggestions. Too hard to wade through which pages/posts go where and in the end both threads are about AA/CP/built in systems so i combined them. Onward...
Old 09-29-18, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
All I really want are the basics...

Thats it....
"That's all I need..."

Old 09-29-18, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I hope this question can be considered on topic but regarding Toyota's decision to fully integrate the Android Auto OS into their future infotainment systems (as they did with iOS) and after Porsche's rejection of Google's AA over a dispute about just how much OBD2 CAN-BUS data that AA seems to want to use... I am wondering two things for future Toyota's that have AA integrated:

1) If I simply never set up AA will there be no active cellular data connection capable of using my vehicle's OBD2 CAN-BUS data in the first place?

2) How, if at all, can we modify, disable or hack our AA integrated head units so as to deny access to vehicle OBD2 CAN-BUS data streams? Or would this simply be a non-issue if we just don't connect the service to our cellular phones in the first place?

I love the features these systems potentially offer but I am not interested in Google accessing my vehicle's engine/driveline/speed sensor related OBD2 data.

Apologies if these thoughts and questions are too far off from the original intent of this thread.
Good questions but I think the cat has already been out of the bag for years... if not AA/CP the car makers themselves are already collecting tons of data in the car and transmitted elsewhere... think onstar, lexus services, etc. most premium cars have a services or emergency button and if you hit it the 'service' already knows a lot about you and the car.

and it's only going to get MUCH more tangled and complex and you will have no way to disable it.

https://medium.com/high-mobility/a-b...y-11a10449ee4f

Cars are just one part of IoT

my car doesn't have AA/CP but has 'sos' service, and i can interact with it through the google button as well as any amazon alexa device... all collecting data of course. Do i have concerns? No.

Old 09-30-18, 05:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my car doesn't have AA/CP but has 'sos' service, and i can interact with it through the google button as well as any amazon alexa device... all collecting data of course. Do i have concerns? No.

I agree. I think these concerns are that much to be worried about.
Old 10-01-18, 01:40 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope this question can be considered on topic but regarding Toyota's decision to fully integrate the Android Auto OS into their future infotainment systems (as they did with iOS) and after Porsche's rejection of Google's AA over a dispute about just how much OBD2 CAN-BUS data that AA seems to want to use... I am wondering two things for future Toyota's that have AA integrated:

I could be wrong - but - I think if AA is never used, Google will not be able to get your data.