Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 09:29 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Update to the thread was about Alexa, it was added to some 2015 and then to all 2016, 2017 and 2018 vehicles.
Oh my bad. Thanks for that. I didn't see it.

So let me get this straight - Amazon Alexa will be available on all Lexus models 16+ then? Cool. I'll be looking forward to try it and see whats it like on my 18 IS. Probably won't ever use it though. Hahah.

Confused: How would it work then? It states you need an active subscription to Enform - do you use it through Enform services? And how would you go about getting Alexa?

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-30-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 10:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Oh my bad. Thanks for that. I didn't see it.

So let me get this straight - Amazon Alexa will be available on all Lexus models 16+ then? Cool. I'll be looking forward to try it and see whats it like on my 18 IS. Probably won't ever use it though. Hahah.

Confused: How would it work then? It states you need an active subscription to Enform - do you use it through Enform services? And how would you go about getting Alexa?
I tried it, basically, there is a new Alexa skill for Lexus. When you add the skill to your Alexa, you're required to put in the credentials from your Enform account to link the two. Pretty standard stuff, my BMW 530e has this too.

Though, the problem is, I don't know what commands are available to me. All I know is to ask the Alexa to start the car remotely, by saying, Alexa ask Lexus to start my car. Kinda underwhelming honestly. I'll probably never use it just like I never use it for the BMW.
Old 05-30-18, 10:51 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
I tried it, basically, there is a new Alexa skill for Lexus. When you add the skill to your Alexa, you're required to put in the credentials from your Enform account to link the two. Pretty standard stuff, my BMW 530e has this too.

Though, the problem is, I don't know what commands are available to me. All I know is to ask the Alexa to start the car remotely, by saying, Alexa ask Lexus to start my car. Kinda underwhelming honestly. I'll probably never use it just like I never use it for the BMW.
Ohhh. Interesting. Thanks for that info!

Yeah. I don't think I'll ever use it either but it'll be cool to just try it. Hahah.

I honestly believe cars are getting so stacked with features - that you'll have some that you'll never touch.
Old 05-30-18, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Kinda underwhelming honestly. I'll probably never use it just like I never use it for the BMW.
Just another way to frustrate people when it works intermittently. Smart on Lexus's part though, just another thing to 'pay for' under Enform. It'll be standard on new cars, then after a few complimentary years it'll be subscription based presumably
Old 05-30-18, 10:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Interesting, but really of no value to me. If it allowed you to NOT have to have an Enform Remote subscription then I could see it, but you still need to pay for that subscription and it doesn't do anything Enform Remote doesn't already do, as I understand it. I guess if your car is outside at home you can just say "Alexa start my car" but I keep my car in the garage, so the only place I tend to use the remote start is at work.
Old 05-30-18, 12:31 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just another way to frustrate people when it works intermittently. Smart on Lexus's part though, just another thing to 'pay for' under Enform. It'll be standard on new cars, then after a few complimentary years it'll be subscription based presumably
Are you saying standard as in Lexus offering it as complimentary?

I'm assuming new models (2019) will have it as complimentary offering for the first year only. I doubt Lexus will do more.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Interesting, but really of no value to me. If it allowed you to NOT have to have an Enform Remote subscription then I could see it, but you still need to pay for that subscription and it doesn't do anything Enform Remote doesn't already do, as I understand it. I guess if your car is outside at home you can just say "Alexa start my car" but I keep my car in the garage, so the only place I tend to use the remote start is at work.
Yeah. Essentially, we are getting something similar to the BMW - like what Jwong said.

A bit confused though. Is Amazon Alexa gonna be built in for the Lexus ES and newer models? Or is it just gonna be another Enform service?
Old 05-30-18, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Are you saying standard as in Lexus offering it as complimentary?

I'm assuming new models (2019) will have it as complimentary offering for the first year only. I doubt Lexus will do more.
Yes Alexa is likely one year like Enform Remote and Destination Assist and Wifi (if equipped).

Dynamic Navigation is 3 years complimentary if equipped. And Service and Safety connect are 10 years complimentary.
Old 05-30-18, 01:05 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

A bit confused though. Is Amazon Alexa gonna be built in for the Lexus ES and newer models? Or is it just gonna be another Enform service?
Alexa isn't built into the car, the Alexa "link" is just a skill on Alexa devices that allow you to ask your Alexa device to do the same thing opening the Enform app on your phone does.

instead of opening the App, signing in with my password or pin, and then clicking the remote start button, I can now say "Alexa, start my Lexus" or "Alexa, Lock/Unlock my Lexus".

It's a nice feature that 90% of people will probably never use, but since Hyundai, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, BMW and a few others all have Alexa apps/skills for their vehicles Lexus/Toyota had to jump on the bandwagon.

Remote start on a Toyota/Lexus is pointless, because it turns off the moment you touch the car to open the door. so this is just a useless addition to the already useless enform app
Old 05-30-18, 02:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

start, stop, lock, unlock and check fuel.. stuff you would do from your home.
Old 05-30-18, 03:03 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
Remote start on a Toyota/Lexus is pointless, because it turns off the moment you touch the car to open the door. so this is just a useless addition to the already useless enform app
THIS!!!! I hate that about our RX.

With regards to the Alexa skill, if you install the Alexa app on your phone, technically, it should allow you to perform the commands on the go. However, why someone would bother to pull out their phone, and start the Alexa app, then speak into their phone vs just using the key fob to unlock their door is beyond me.
Old 05-30-18, 03:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Alexa isn't built into the car, the Alexa "link" is just a skill on Alexa devices that allow you to ask your Alexa device to do the same thing opening the Enform app on your phone does.

instead of opening the App, signing in with my password or pin, and then clicking the remote start button, I can now say "Alexa, start my Lexus" or "Alexa, Lock/Unlock my Lexus".

It's a nice feature that 90% of people will probably never use, but since Hyundai, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, BMW and a few others all have Alexa apps/skills for their vehicles Lexus/Toyota had to jump on the bandwagon.

I know the "Alexa" link is just basically part of the Enform services where instead of logging in, you just speak through Alexa.

I was more wondering are the newer models, like the 2019 Lexus ES or 2019 Lexus UX, will they have built in Alexa?
Old 05-30-18, 04:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I know the "Alexa" link is just basically part of the Enform services where instead of logging in, you just speak through Alexa.

I was more wondering are the newer models, like the 2019 Lexus ES or 2019 Lexus UX, will they have built in Alexa?
it appears the 2019 ES will have that functionality yes:

The ES is also Amazon Alexa-enabled, so drivers can use natural language commands to control a variety of functions. That functionality includes car-to-home and home-to-car commands, so owners who have Alexa enabled devices in their home can interact with their ES before they ever get behind the wheel.

http://www.iclarified.com/65519/new-...-functionality

I guess they are replacing the horrible voice command system that Toyota has been using for the last 12 years.
Old 05-30-18, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

THIS!!!! I hate that about our RX.

With regards to the Alexa skill, if you install the Alexa app on your phone, technically, it should allow you to perform the commands on the go. However, why someone would bother to pull out their phone, and start the Alexa app, then speak into their phone vs just using the key fob to unlock their door is beyond me.
remote start is for pre-heating/cooling vehicle before the ride... as safety feature it turns off the car so kids would not have themselves killed.

Point of doing it over Alexa instead of enform app would be that you already use alexa so you have its speakers around your smart home, so you would use it for everything, including that or unlocking the car so the kid can get something out of it, etc, etc.
Old 05-30-18, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

remote start is for pre-heating/cooling vehicle before the ride... as safety feature it turns off the car so kids would not have themselves killed.

Point of doing it over Alexa instead of enform app would be that you already use alexa so you have its speakers around your smart home, so you would use it for everything, including that or unlocking the car so the kid can get something out of it, etc, etc.
also a theft deterrent. If the vehicle is outside and the door were opened by a thief, the car would turn off to prevent it from being stolen.
Old 05-30-18, 05:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

it appears the 2019 ES will have that functionality yes:

The ES is also Amazon Alexa-enabled, so drivers can use natural language commands to control a variety of functions. That functionality includes car-to-home and home-to-car commands, so owners who have Alexa enabled devices in their home can interact with their ES before they ever get behind the wheel.

http://www.iclarified.com/65519/new-...-functionality

I guess they are replacing the horrible voice command system that Toyota has been using for the last 12 years.
I read that exact article earlier but it's not 100% clear. The article can still mean the Amazon Alexa is only through the Enform App. Because - when you do car-to-home commend, you can pretty much do it on your phone. And when you do home to car, its pretty much through Amazon Alexa smart speakers throughout the house - once Enform is sync'd.

In the previous video I posted - the BMW owner can unlock/control A/C settings while using his Amazon speaker. The BMW doesn't have Amazon Alexa within the vehicle.

Yup. Amazon Alexa is pretty much for the houses that have Alexa set up everywhere. This allows the owner to access their car without even having to pick up their phone.

Quick Reply: Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment