Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brake life pad monitor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 08:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Brake life pad monitor.

Has anyone seen this on any cars out there? Was watching the Sierra review by Doug DeMuro. The new GM Sierra has a brake life pad monitor from 0-100% on all four brakes independently. This is an awesome feature b.
Old 09-29-18, 08:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

If it's actually a measurement and not an estimate like the existing oil life monitor, I wonder how they do it.

I'm only familiar with the BMW-style systems where there is one sensor per axle, which triggers a dash warning when the rotor wears through the insulation and shorts the wire.
Old 09-29-18, 08:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Aside... I've never worn out a set of brake pads.
Old 09-29-18, 08:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
On the flipside, your replacements cost about a thousand times what mine do
Old 09-29-18, 09:10 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Before we began buying Lexuses, we drove Mercedes. They had brake pad sensors and would alert to when they were getting low.
Old 09-29-18, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

I'm only familiar with the BMW-style systems where there is one sensor per axle, which triggers a dash warning when the rotor wears through the insulation and shorts the wire.
I thought the original LS400 had a light that came on the dash as well.
Old 09-29-18, 09:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do you just not keep the car long enough?

Originally Posted by geko29
If it's actually a measurement and not an estimate like the existing oil life monitor, I wonder how they do it.
Yes, was wondering how it is done. Takes the guess work out if the tech is lying to you about your brakes
Old 09-29-18, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you just not keep the car long enough?
my explorer i had 8 years and no brake pads, so no.

My jeep 3 years which wasn't long, so no.

i think it has to do with my doing mostly cruising/highway roads, but even in traffic i try to drive predictably (to others) and gently. I really dislike sudden braking.
Old 09-29-18, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You don't drive in the D.C. area.
Old 09-29-18, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Has anyone seen this on any cars out there? Was watching the Sierra review by Doug DeMuro. The new GM Sierra has a brake life pad monitor from 0-100% on all four brakes independently. This is an awesome feature b.

I agree it's a nice feature. I'm a big and heavy enough guy that, sitting on the driver's side, and with the car unloaded most of the time, the car itself is a couple of hundred pounds heavier on the side where I'm sitting. I've noticed that brake pads, in general, on the cars that I've owned, tend to wear quicker on the driver's side because they usually work harder. Still, it's rare that I don't get at least 30K out of a set of pads (and sometimes more), as I am not an aggressive driver....and I would undoubtedly get a lot more if it wasn't for the horrendous traffic conditions in this area...and the constant speed bumps, stop signs/lights, and other obstacles that one has to constantly brake for.

For several decades, however, physical monitors, known as "screechers", have been built into the disc brakes of all new American-market vehicles (not sure about those in Canada). It consists of a metal pin/extension that sticks out from the caliper, with a special coating on the tip, that remains separated from the spinning rotor as long as the pad-thickness remains adequate. As the pads wear, the pin gets closer and closer to the spinning rotor. When the pads wear down to what the engineers consider minimum safe thickness for the brakes themselves, the coating on the end of he pin will contact the spinning rotor, and cause a high-pitched screeching noise. That, of course, is considered a warning sign to get a brake job (or at least new pads), as soon as possible...if you don't, or delay too long after the screeching starts, not only will the pads be too low, but the rotor itself could be scored, and require re-surfacing or replacement.
Old 09-30-18, 05:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i think it has to do with my doing mostly cruising/highway roads, but even in traffic i try to drive predictably (to others) and gently. I really dislike sudden braking.
Yes, me too. I am so easy going when it comes to speed and traffic. Sudden braking is pointless and is best to be avoided.
Old 09-30-18, 08:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,742 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Yes, me too. I am so easy going when it comes to speed and traffic. Sudden braking is pointless and is best to be avoided.
Yeah, a lot of the 3IS forum guys complain of needing new brake pads or even rotors at 20,000 or so miles, but last I checked mine still have plenty of life at 22,000. I don't brake too hard even when driving spiritedly.

That said I feel features like oil life monitors and brake pad monitors are missing on too many vehicles. It just helps me plan better if I have an idea of how long I can make my current wear items last before replacement.
Old 09-30-18, 09:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah, a lot of the 3IS forum guys complain of needing new brake pads or even rotors at 20,000 or so miles, but last I checked mine still have plenty of life at 22,000. I don't brake too hard even when driving spiritedly.

That said I feel features like oil life monitors and brake pad monitors are missing on too many vehicles. It just helps me plan better if I have an idea of how long I can make my current wear items last before replacement.
My sister had an IS250, it was a 2010 model so I am not sure of the gen number. She needed new brakes around 30K, however she was and still is (I think) a very aggressive driver.

Originally Posted by arentz07

I agree. Especially now that Toyota has gone to a 10,000 mile interval for their oil change procedures. Our Matrix 2.4 burns oil, we have to to add oil to it after about 3-4K or 4 months, a pressure light comes on each time, it would better if they also provided a percentage meter.
Old 09-30-18, 09:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Have them on 2 cars, with the BMW they are a nuisance, but OEM cost around $14, and OE around $28, so it's ok. But Lexus OE is around $80, a complete and total rip off (yes many buy Raybestos etc. like me for $10).

They serve no legitimate purpose as a person should be aware of the condition of their brakes, well at least those who were born before 1990 lol BMW CBS also shows remaining life, with the rears starting at 45k, and the fronts at 90k (defies physics but not the active systems on the vehicle)

When I did the Lexus brakes since the old ones did not trip yet, I just reused. Why waste $10 on a new sensor? Also, when I say BMW OEM is around $14, I mean the identical part to what came from the factory, without the BMW logo. When I say Raybestos for $10 for the Lexus, it is NOT the same as what came from the factory, but with the factory jacked up price, nein danke!

All I can say is change your own brakes, and you will have a new appreciation for these things. Otherwise, it's conjecture and speculation and my friend said that and his mom said this...my .02