Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brake Basics from SavageGeese

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 08:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts
Default Brake Basics from SavageGeese

SavageGeese uploaded a video I found detailed, helpful, and enjoyable for explaining the ins and outs of braking.

He goes through all the brake components, such as calipers, pads, lines, and rotors, and talks about the different types available and their uses. Through watching this I certainly learned a few things, reminding me that it's probably best to stay stock unless I really know what I am doing.

One thing that definitely stood out to me was that high-performance brakes are not always the best option. The most obvious drawbacks are cost and longevity. However, smoothness and resilience also become issues. High-friction pads typically are somewhat more difficult to drive smoothly, and racing-type brake calipers lack the dust boots of typical street car brakes. What's more - finding replacement parts for high-end brakes can be more difficult as well.

Over on the IS forums, there are often questions and sometimes complaints about the life of the F Sport high-friction pads that are standard on F Sport models. They typically don't have the staying power of the standard pads. Reflecting on this video, I have to wonder if some of it is due to lack of education to owners on how to properly bed and maintain the brakes. I certainly was not aware that it was required when I picked up my IS. It's also possible Lexus does this from the factory, however. In any case, there are also sometimes complaints of squeaking brakes, particularly in cold weather. This is either indicative of a problem, or simply that the brakes are cold and need to come up to temperature to get quieter. Again, for daily driving use, perhaps high-friction pads aren't ideal.

side note: Personally, I like the F Sport pads due to their responsiveness, but I will say they got rather irritating in sub-freezing temperatures, where they felt grabby and squeaked a lot, until I got my rotors resurfaced. It appears that the squeaking might be back for round 2, as they've been doing it on-and-off the past few weeks. And after watching Mr. Goose, it makes me wonder if standard pads are a better option. Sure, I go back-road driving sometimes, but only sometimes. I don't track the car, so perhaps the combo of four-pistons and these pads is overkill.

Anyway hope you guys find this video interesting!
Old 10-02-18, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I haven't watched the video yet, but until I did my LS430 brakes, I hadn't done a brake job in 20 yrs with fixed calipers. Forgotten how easy they are, if it were a race, not including jacking and removing the wheel, pads only, it has to be a 1-2 min job, closer to 1. Being extra careful, 10 min tops (that would be like extra extra careful--shop foreman would be screaming wondering what it is you're doing on co. time). Many people these days seem to think ceramic pads are best. I would say they are the most practical, but obviously, it's like a tire, there is no best at everything.

I had thought that floating calipers were a new thing to save production costs, first saw them on my 1998 Maxima. Then I googled 1969 Buick and 1974 Dodge Monaco on rock auto and found that these cars have floating calipers on the fronts.

brakes? I don't think the average person cares--look at a 100k Navigator L Reserve, and the cheap brakes it gets!